Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 9 Feb 15, 12:38 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by mike4scuba View Post
'What a shameful disgrace': Ridesharing app Uber forced to back down after outraged commuters found minimum fare had risen to $100 in middle of Sydney hostage crisis
God mike give it a rest with the Uber bashing, we get it you dont like them, so stop trashing this thread with rubbish
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Feb 15, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Bal
Imagineer

Originally Posted by HolmerGreen View Post
God mike give it a rest with the Uber bashing, we get it you dont like them, so stop trashing this thread with rubbish
They also realised their error very shortly afterwards and refunded the payments, and even offered taxi rides for free away from the area.

Originally Posted by Uber
The events of last week in Sydney were upsetting for the whole community and we are truly sorry for any concern that our process may have added.

Our priority was to help get as many people out of the CBD safely in the midst of a fast-moving event. The decisions we made were based only on helping to achieve this but we communicated this poorly, leading to a lot of misunderstanding about our motivations.

Surge pricing is algorithmic and kicks in automatically when demand for rides outstrips the supply of cars that are on the road. This encourages more drivers to the area where people are requesting rides. As an increasing number of people were requesting rides that morning in the CBD, surge pricing came into effect automatically and this is when you might have seen higher prices.

We didn’t stop surge pricing immediately. This was the wrong decision. We quickly reversed course and provided free rides to people needing to leave the CBD. In the end, no rider was charged to leave the CBD on Monday and all higher fares resulting from surge pricing earlier in the day were fully refunded.

It’s unfortunate that the perception is that Uber did something against the interests of the public. We certainly did not intend to. We will learn from this incident and improve as a result of this lesson. Uber is committed to ensuring users have a reliable ride when they need it most — including and especially during disasters and relevant states of emergency. We take our community commitment very seriously in the 250+ cities Uber serves around the globe.

Please know that we have listened to the feedback and we are working to standardise a global policy to ensure we’re serving communities in the most efficient, effective and helpful way possible at all times. Our thoughts and prayers remain with the victims’ families, those that were injured and the Sydney community of which we are so proud to be a part.

Have a happy holiday,

David and the team at Uber Sydney
Bal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 15, 11:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Gazwilliams
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by sophie1405 View Post
so if i download the uber app in the states i will get a free ride. x
Usually for first time customers there is a free credit as an intensive.
Gazwilliams is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 15, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post
W1zz
Apprentice Imagineer

Can you download and install the UK version? Or does it have to come from the US appstore.

I've just downloaded and signed up for the UK version and have £10 credit on it. Can I use this app and credit in Orlando?
W1zz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 15, 11:27 PM  
Link to this Post
BigKidUK
Excited about Disney

We used Uber in NY last year and had a couple of very good rides, then we had one take ages, then cancel leaving us late, and finally a trip to the airport with a driver who seemed to have little idea where he was going, taking 3 times as long as it should and scaring us all silly in the process wondering where he was taking us It still seems like a good idea, but DH is much to worried to use them again
Old 25 Feb 15, 11:54 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Thank you great tip!
Old 16 Apr 15, 12:25 PM  
Link to this Post

is it best to download and register in USA or do it in UK before we go?
Old 16 Apr 15, 02:23 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

Originally Posted by W1zz View Post
Can you download and install the UK version? Or does it have to come from the US appstore.

I've just downloaded and signed up for the UK version and have £10 credit on it. Can I use this app and credit in Orlando?
I downloaded and installed and signed up for it before I left for Orlando. Got the £10 free credit, which was applied to my first ever Uber trip (Pop Century to Universal during surge pricing, which cost me a total of $1.88 after the credit was applied).
Old 22 Jul 15, 11:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Gazwilliams
Proud to wear my Ears

Going to Orlando again in September with friends and we are planning on using Uber again for quite a bit of a holiday.
Will keep this thread updated on how we get on
Gazwilliams is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 15, 02:22 AM  
Link to this Post

Great thread, we are going on October and plan using uber, thanks to everyone for tips
Closed Thread