Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 12 Dec 14, 09:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by cartoonp View Post
Yes as long as you have your perants and grad perants with you
My God that would be difficult!

I'm currently researching my late Grandfathers WW1 history as he spent 4 years in France/Belgium and in that research I have recovered loads of documents

I also ascertained that people in his era actually never sat a driving test, they just applied for and got automatically a license! Can you imagine that today!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 14, 09:26 AM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
My God that would be difficult!

I'm currently researching my late Grandfathers WW1 history as he spent 4 years in France/Belgium and in that research I have recovered loads of documents

I also ascertained that people in his era actually never sat a driving test, they just applied for and got automatically a license! Can you imagine that today!
thats interesting . Of course then the roads had less traffic so that make things easer then today . Best of luck with your resach
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 14, 09:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Can I tell you its fascinating. Sadly a load of the WW1 records were destroyed in the blitz in WW2
Not only did my Grandfather serve from Aug 14 to Nov 18 he got held in Army camp until discharge in March 19 in case they were needed again!

Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 14, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Can I tell you its fascinating. Sadly a load of the WW1 records were destroyed in the blitz in WW2
Not only did my Grandfather serve from Aug 14 to Nov 18 he got held in Army camp until discharge in March 19 in case they were needed again!
That a same about the records but there still a lot of information out there . What part of Cardiff are you from
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 14, 11:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by cartoonp View Post
That a same about the records but there still a lot of information out there . What part of Cardiff are you from
Have PM'd you

Old 12 Dec 14, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Have PM'd you
thank you
Old 12 Dec 14, 11:25 PM  
Link to this Post
uktigg
Very Serious Dibber

I have NEVER been asked for the paper counterpart on ANY of my trips since the photocard licence came in.

Only the photocard.
uktigg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 14, 09:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Bigdrinks
Serious Dibber

Why not get an International Driving Permit? You know, that one that costs £5.50 and translates your DVLA driving licence from English into, err, English!

Just something else you don't need, to be on the safe side!

Edited at 09:03 AM.
Bigdrinks is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 14, 06:21 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

As of 1st January the paper part of the DL is no longer legally needed...fact
So from then on a full DL comprises a photo card... nothing else.

Anyone who passes their test after 1st jan will only have a photo card DL, no paper, no nothing. so for the "just to be safers" on here, how are any of these new drivers going to produce a paper part?

A couple years back we were stopped in a random event (lots of cars getting pulled on the I4) . Had to produce my DL for the officer, handed the photo part to her , and before I got out the paper part out she was beckoning for it. So at that time theFHP knew all about our two part DL.
With that in mind, and considering the amount of Brit drivers there are in a year in FL are we all of the opinion that the FHP will not know about our DL change? I think they deserve more credit than that.

In May next year there will be no paper part coming with me. Mine will be binned very soon.

On a similar theme how many of you still have your road tax disc in your car window. Mine was taken off the first day that the law said it wasn't required, or is it "safer" To keep it on just in case?

Last rant. It you have a full UK DL you do not need an IDP

I'm done...
PPM is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Dec 14, 10:35 AM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 26
Originally Posted by PPM View Post
As of 1st January the paper part of the DL is no longer legally needed...fact
So from then on a full DL comprises a photo card... nothing else.

Anyone who passes their test after 1st jan will only have a photo card DL, no paper, no nothing. so for the "just to be safers" on here, how are any of these new drivers going to produce a paper part?

A couple years back we were stopped in a random event (lots of cars getting pulled on the I4) . Had to produce my DL for the officer, handed the photo part to her , and before I got out the paper part out she was beckoning for it. So at that time theFHP knew all about our two part DL.
With that in mind, and considering the amount of Brit drivers there are in a year in FL are we all of the opinion that the FHP will not know about our DL change? I think they deserve more credit than that.

In May next year there will be no paper part coming with me. Mine will be binned very soon.

On a similar theme how many of you still have your road tax disc in your car window. Mine was taken off the first day that the law said it wasn't required, or is it "safer" To keep it on just in case?

Last rant. It you have a full UK DL you do not need an IDP

I'm done...
Actually your wrong. The date of the 1st January has been postponed for the moment. So better not bin it yet.
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread