Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 6 Jan 15, 06:27 PM  
Link to this Post
alibabaxx
Very Serious Dibber

Thanks for all the replies, been most helpful. Was going to book a night in Miami then another load of replies said it was okay to drive lol

I know each to their own... think may play it be ear then, as suggested also. As been said if flight delayed / immigration busy, might not feel like driving all that way but then again we might be early and quick through...

2012 POR FQ Disneymoon
2013 OKW Disneymoon Pt2
2015 AKL and Cruise
2017 AKL, POP and Cruise
alibabaxx is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 15, 06:57 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

I suggest you use the US-27 route as it is a much nicer/easier/cheaper/safer/scenic route. It can often be faster as it doesn't get fouled up like the free ways.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 15, 07:31 PM  
Link to this Post

Is there more than one person driving? We are doing the drive from Miami to Orlando and will split the driving so that if one person wants to rest they can whilst the other drives and vice versa. We anticipate a long 3-4 hour journey on the way up, but we do Devon to the Midlands up the M5 every few weeks so are no strangers to long, straight (and boring!) journeys
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 15, 08:08 PM  
Link to this Post
scarecrow
Imagineer

scarecrow's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 9
We are not attempting the drive up to Miami our flight lands at 6.00 pm, which is 11 pm UK body click time and that's before immigration car pick up etc. we were going to stay at the Sofitel at the airport, but have now opted for 2 nights in Miami at the Loews. I am considering adding a 2 night Universal hotel onto the end of our holiday before the drive back to Miami, our evening flight leaves at 10.50 pm.

Personally we prefer the turnpike to the other road. There are very nice service stations to stop off at. The coastal road took longer than the turnpike on our last journey. But each journey will be different.

If you have any airmiles we managed to book a flight with AA down from Irlando to Miami for three of us, I think it was 60,000 miles plus $4.38 for three. The miles might be less than that, but the taxes is an accurate figure.
1990. - somewhere on the 192,2006 - Country Inn and Suites LBK, 2007- LA and San Diego, 2008 - Regal Palms, 2009 - OKW, 2010- Yacht Club, 2011- DCL Magic - Med,2012 - Yacht Club, 2013 - Carnival Sunshine Med cruise, 2014 Carnival Breeze and the Yacht Club

Photo app trip reports Carnival Med Cruise and VA & BA UC & Club indexhttp://http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/reporter-index.php?userid=19933

Pre cruise Med http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/show...d+cruise+mouse
scarecrow is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 15, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

Originally Posted by alibabaxx View Post
You think it would be easy to get a room in the middle of August without a booking?
Yes, very. August is actually low season for Florida. The busier months are the winter months. Orlando has year-round appeal, and flights/holidays booked from the uk peak in our school holidays, not in relation to Florida high season (jan-april).
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 15, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
alibabaxx
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by aymz View Post
Is there more than one person driving? We are doing the drive from Miami to Orlando and will split the driving so that if one person wants to rest they can whilst the other drives and vice versa. We anticipate a long 3-4 hour journey on the way up, but we do Devon to the Midlands up the M5 every few weeks so are no strangers to long, straight (and boring!) journeys
Hi yes there will be myself and well as my husband although I don't feel very confident driving over there. Don't like being out of my comfort zone and I know the motorways over here and where I can stop off etc... would be scared of driving into a bad area... especially in the dark...

2012 POR FQ Disneymoon
2013 OKW Disneymoon Pt2
2015 AKL and Cruise
2017 AKL, POP and Cruise
alibabaxx is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 15, 10:53 AM  
Link to this Post
alibabaxx
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by scarecrow View Post
We are not attempting the drive up to Miami our flight lands at 6.00 pm, which is 11 pm UK body click time and that's before immigration car pick up etc. we were going to stay at the Sofitel at the airport, but have now opted for 2 nights in Miami at the Loews. I am considering adding a 2 night Universal hotel onto the end of our holiday before the drive back to Miami, our evening flight leaves at 10.50 pm.

Personally we prefer the turnpike to the other road. There are very nice service stations to stop off at. The coastal road took longer than the turnpike on our last journey. But each journey will be different.

If you have any airmiles we managed to book a flight with AA down from Irlando to Miami for three of us, I think it was 60,000 miles plus $4.38 for three. The miles might be less than that, but the taxes is an accurate figure.
Ours lands around 3.30 I think so not too bad but depends how long to get through immigration and collecting car hire etc... might have to play that first night by ear then. We have Universal hotel booked the following night so can do Mon/Tues at the parks.

Got very minimal airmiles with Virgin and BA...prob only enough to have a day trip a farm or something like that lol...

We have to drive back to Miami for our cruise at the end of the hol and then fly home from there Is there a place to drop the car off near Miami Port ( I've seen your cruise blogs before ) and then get transport to the airport following the cruise?

2012 POR FQ Disneymoon
2013 OKW Disneymoon Pt2
2015 AKL and Cruise
2017 AKL, POP and Cruise
Old 7 Jan 15, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
alibabaxx
Very Serious Dibber

Has anyone used public transport to get from Miami to Orlando?

2012 POR FQ Disneymoon
2013 OKW Disneymoon Pt2
2015 AKL and Cruise
2017 AKL, POP and Cruise
Old 7 Jan 15, 07:30 PM  
Link to this Post
alibabaxx
Very Serious Dibber

Just looking on the map and Port St Lucie is halfway between the two and there looks to be some cheap and nice hotels here...has anyone experience of staying here?

2012 POR FQ Disneymoon
2013 OKW Disneymoon Pt2
2015 AKL and Cruise
2017 AKL, POP and Cruise
Old 7 Jan 15, 11:56 PM  
Link to this Post
liamaxina
VIP Dibber

liamaxina's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Just driven from Miami to Vero Beach in December and that was bad enough. I would not want to drive to Orlando after a 9 hour flight. Oh and be aware that there are no 'pay as you go' tolls from Miami. You will need to get sunpass before you travel or go via the slower, route. We nearly got got caught out and had to come off the interstate when it turned into a toll road and ended up having to drive through Little Haiti - not advisable

Edited at 12:01 AM.
liamaxina is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread