Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 8 Jan 15, 12:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Masai
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

Hi - watching this with interest as flying into Miami in October with Thomas Cook. Definitely going to book over night stay in Miami after flight ! getting a bit concerned about drive after reading some posts...
Masai is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 15, 12:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Dazed
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by alibabaxx View Post
Has anyone used public transport to get from Miami to Orlando?
You can get the Amtrack train from Miami to Orlando. It takes 5 hours (driving takes 4 and you can't fall asleep) and it is very cheap if you book in advance (about £30).

I haven't tried it but I have just done a 3hr Amtrak journey from Baltimore to NY and it was a piece of cake! All trains on time, plenty of space with reclining seats, wifi, snacks and everyone (except me) slept the whole way - I looked out the window at the scenery, kept an eye on the luggage and made sure we got off in NY
Dazed is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 15, 12:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkermom
Apprentice Imagineer

We are also flying into Miami this August, having done this drive before there is no way I would ever do it after such a long flight. It's just not worth it in my opinion.

Don't forget you won't be as aware and in unfamiliar surroundings you would be more likely to have an accident/get lost which believe me is easy to do in Miami.
We've booked a hotel at Deerfield Beach for £76 for all 6 of us (booking.com) and if we don't have any delays we'll go and get dinner at the Cheesecake Factory at Boca. Up early the next morning (got to love jetlag!) and should be checking in at the AKL for 10am.
Old 8 Jan 15, 01:04 AM  
Link to this Post

Of course it's safe. You're not in some third world country, once you're outside the Disney bubble.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 15, 01:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Dazed
VIP Dibber

We are also flying into Miami in August and have decided to spend a couple of nights in Fort Lauderdale at the beach before we head up to a Orlando and then spending a few nights in Miami before heading home.

Edited at 01:07 AM. Reason: Spelling
Dazed is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 15, 03:28 AM  
Link to this Post
fredflintstone
Imagineer

fredflintstone's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I flew into Miami a couple of years ago and decided to stay in the Days Inn Thunderbird Resort on Sunny Isles, North Miami. It used to be full of hotels along the beach, but now is full of high rise apartments, with the small Thunderbird in-between!. The hotel was past its prime (It was a Virgin Preferred hotel many years ago), but still served its function of a bed for the night. No more Christine Lee Chinese restaurant or parked Rolls Royce 'outside , but Basic and clean.
I booked it this time (last time was for a honeymoon in 80) for nostalgic reasons, but also because it has a dollar rental office. Miami has set taxi rates so $50 to miss the hectic Miami traffic (and tolls) and picked the car up the next morning. No hard sell and a free upgrade, so we were happy. This allowed us to pickup the non-toll route from just south of Fort Lauderdale and was a lovely drive up to Orlando. They have a big shopping centre about 1 mile away on the way to Orlando so that was the first port of call for the ladies before we went North.
However, if you picked the car up the evening of arrival you could also leave early in the morning an get to Orlando early. For the first day, 9am UK time is still only 4am in Miami, so getting up early to get to Orlando is not an issue.
The old 50's American diner for breakfast in the hotel is a must though if you stay there.
It also has a publix across the road for supplies and a Tony Romas just down the road, so evening meal is sorted.
Not luxury, but for a bed for the night and the ability to pick the car up at the hotel and not having to do the initial Miami driving (The taxi ride showed it to be very busy) was a definite benefit. If I was doing this route again and had an early flight, I might be tempted to get the Taxi to the hotel and pick the car up and drive directly to Orlando without staying the night. But only if it was an early flight. Would take the hassle out of the initial Miami traffic.
fredflintstone is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 15, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post
alibabaxx
Very Serious Dibber

Found a hotel in Port Saint Lucie for £55 including breakfast, which is about 2 hours drive away so might go for that and then only got couple hours drive the next morning...

Is it really that bad and confusing getting out of Miami by car? It will be Sunday late afternoon so hoping not as much traffic...

Is the car hire at Miami airport or is there a shuttle bus we need to take?

Also mentioned we need a 'sunpass' for the tolls. Is there a car hire company that is recommended for this? We would only be using the turnpike twice, to Orlando and back... would we only be charged for using the tolls when we pass them or are there further charges etc...

Many thanks

2012 POR FQ Disneymoon
2013 OKW Disneymoon Pt2
2015 AKL and Cruise
2017 AKL, POP and Cruise
alibabaxx is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 15, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post
james weir
Imagineer

Car rental at Miami airport is connected by Monorail.All rental cars are fitted with Sunpass
as all tolls south of Fort Lauderdale are cashless,therefore you do require a sunpass.
Driving in Miami is a nightmare very bad signposting and bad driving habits.If you are
departing from Miami choose a car hire company that offers a shuttle to the port.Miami
port is shared between the Cruise Lines and the Container Port,therefore you have a constant flow of heavy lorries to and from the port
james weir is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 15, 12:27 PM  
Link to this Post
alibabaxx
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by james weir View Post
Car rental at Miami airport is connected by Monorail.All rental cars are fitted with Sunpass
as all tolls south of Fort Lauderdale are cashless,therefore you do require a sunpass.
Driving in Miami is a nightmare very bad signposting and bad driving habits.If you are
departing from Miami choose a car hire company that offers a shuttle to the port.Miami
port is shared between the Cruise Lines and the Container Port,therefore you have a constant flow of heavy lorries to and from the port

Thanks, don't understand this bit though

Sorry if sound a bit dumb Do I get the monorail or a shuttle bus for car hire? We want to drive to Orlando from Miami Airport but want to return the car to Miami port if that's possible?

2012 POR FQ Disneymoon
2013 OKW Disneymoon Pt2
2015 AKL and Cruise
2017 AKL, POP and Cruise
alibabaxx is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 15, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post
james weir
Imagineer

The car hire at Miami Airport is connected through a Monorail system.The Cruise TErminals
are 7 miles away.Not all car hire companies have offices at the Port,therefore you have to
be very careful who you book with.A taxi from or to the Airport to the port is $ 30.00 plus
tip and they normally charge extra for luggage.As already stated driving in the Port area
can be crazy depending on the number of ships in the port
james weir is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread