Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 25 Apr 15, 08:57 AM  
Link to this Post
pingufan
Helping Minnie

DVLA Abolishes Paper Counterpart of Driving Licence. Will this affect US car hire?

gov.uk/government/news/d...icence-changes

Changes are coming into force regarding the paper element of our drving licences - after June 2015 they will no longer be valid

Will this affect our car hire on our trip in July or should be just take both the photocard and the paper along as normal?
pingufan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 15, 09:01 AM  
Link to this Post
harg7769
Excited about Disney

Surely they can only insist on the paper part of the licence if it is still issued by the DVLA? You can't provide something that doesn't exist.
harg7769 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 15, 09:06 AM  
Link to this Post
fireball46
Excited about Disney

They havent ever ask for the paper part anyway. The photo card is all that they want to see.
Bahama Bay July 2016 -- Bahama Bay July 2018
Bahama Bay May 2020
fireball46 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 15, 10:08 AM  
Link to this Post
duncanb
Imagineer

Number of threads on this , of course was postponed from turn of year.
Hopefully will happen this time and so paper part becomes like a ration book or one year passport a thing of past and is not an official document.
Just wait for confirmation that we have joined rest of the world in photo license only.
Old 25 Apr 15, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Caesar
Trying for More Ears

I emailed Alamo directly explaining that paper license will no longer be issued, as I have lost mine. There response below.

"Thank you for contacting Alamo Customer Service. My name is LaToya, and I will be happy to assist you. Yes, you may use your plastic driver's license.
If you have any additional queries, comments, or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly and I would be more than willing to oblige you. I want you to have an amazing day!"
Caesar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 15, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
I emailed Alamo directly explaining that paper license will no longer be issued, as I have lost mine. There response below.

"Thank you for contacting Alamo Customer Service. My name is LaToya, and I will be happy to assist you. Yes, you may use your plastic driver's license.
If you have any additional queries, comments, or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly and I would be more than willing to oblige you. I want you to have an amazing day!"
Regrettably LaToya is an employee of Alamo not the FHP.
Alamo have never asked to see my paper license including yesterday afternoon at MCO!
However it's still a legal requirement and I have mine with me.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 10:31 AM.
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 15, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Paper part of driving licence (USA)

I got in contact with the DVLA as there been A lot about what happens when the paper part no longer needed Here what they said .

When driving in the USA (or anywhere else for that matter) they will only need to provide their photo card. Should the car hire company (or insurance company or any other party) wish to view endorsement details or confirm that the licence is correct and the person is using a valid licence, they will be able to use the Share Driver Record service that will be functional once the counterpart is abolished.

The driver must log in to their record online and generate a code for the 3rd party to use in order to access the details. Alternatively, the car hire company may continue to use the car hire line (09061 393837) after the driver has phoned CEG and left permission for them to discuss the record.
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 15, 10:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Juliemack
waiting impatiently...!

Juliemack's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
That's useful as I can't find my paper part, although I have never been asked for it before having hired many times. Sod's law says that this time I will be asked for it.
Can't see the hire companies being bothered to ring a UK number or going online to be honest. I guess it will be down to whoever you get at the desk and how arsy they want to be.
Juliemack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 15, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Bonjovi
slightly serious Dibber

I'll be keeping hold of mine for our trip in September only in case the online checking system is not up and running by then.
Old 25 Apr 15, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
fireball46
Excited about Disney

You will not need it.
If its not issued to you in the UK then its impossible to show it in the US as it does not exist.
Bahama Bay July 2016 -- Bahama Bay July 2018
Bahama Bay May 2020
fireball46 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread