Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 18 Jul 21, 12:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Tdon
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

Where should I stay?

Looking to do first week Disney and second week Florida. Where is the best place to go/stay for second week? We have 2 kids age 10 and 7. Thanks
Tdon is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 21, 03:10 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandoamber
Imagineer

What do you mean by Florida - it’s a huge place Let us know where you plan to visit and we can help with suggestions for somewhere close.
orlandoamber is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 21, 03:34 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

When you say Florida.. what do you mean? It is a rather large State.

If you are not sure, then tell us what you like doing as a group and maybe we can then make suggestions.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 21, 07:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Elmhurst 5
Apprentice Imagineer

As above, Florida is a huge state.
Elmhurst 5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 21, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Tdon

Sorry and good point, Florida is huge. Was thinking week to visit beach, but not sure which side to go ? Ft Lauderdale or Tampa? Any preference for 2 young kids?
Old 23 Jul 21, 10:28 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I have sampled Beaches all the way from Pensacola to Key West and up the other side as far as Daytona Beach. I don’t like built up areas such as Newquay, Benidorm, Daytona, Clearwater, Ayia Napa etc. I like peace and tranquility.

I would always go gulf side as I much prefer the quality of sand. There are other Dibbers who very much like the Atlantic Coast… but the Gulf Coast is for me.

You haven’t aged your children and thus, I do not know how many facilities you seek.

If they are very young, then you have to consider ice creams, drinks, shade from the sun, restaurants etc etc.
I would look at the area of Anna Maria Island, Holmes and Bradenton. It is low rise, civilised, has fantastic sand and never seems overcrowded. You can also see you children for a good distance in all directions, so I guess that it is safe.
At Bradenton, you can swim with Manatees (I am told).

You are not far via the skyway from the beautiful For de Soto National park, in fact you can see it across the water from AMI.

You can take a day trip due South to Casperson Beach at Venice, where you find Fossilised Sharks teeth in the sand (take a Walmart Seive with you). This has lower quality sand, is a strip beach, has lots of bird life and a long boardwalk behind. You can also park your car for free within 50 yards of where you want to be.
Just half a mile away is Sharky’s by the Pier, a really nice, family friendly restaurant.. with a very long pier, where you can watch fish actually being caught.

If you really want to pull out the stops and do some driving (6.5 hours), the Pensacola is simply incredible.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 10:33 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 21, 06:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Tdon

Thank you for reply thats really helpful and sounds amazing. My kids will be 10 and 7, so shade ice creams sound good. I agree on the calmness as looking for some relaxation after week at Disney! I will start looking at those areas and see what I come up with. Many thanks