Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 29 May 21, 09:20 AM  
Link to this Post
princess allie
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by mick View Post
We weren't given any instructions by the staff as to what to do with the tag - we knew when our trips would involve a toll road so we put it into the glovebox the rest of the time.

We only tend to hire with Alamo or Avis so no experience of getting a tag from the car hire people. We've just relied on Sunpass which automatically kicks in if you don't stop and pay cash. Works on taking a photo of licence plate rather than reading a tag.

Maybe you need to be careful with Dollar and their very attractive toll pass offer.

sunpass/en/tolls/rentalVehicles.shtml

Mick

PS

Don't rely on the Avis costs on this website. Despite Andy at DFCH and I emailing Sunpass a couple of times they refuse to update the Avis charges.

Mick, can you confirm that Avis daily charge is $5.95? We have used their sunglasses scheme in the past, but can’t remember how much we paid. We don’t use many toll roads so I know it didn’t cost a lot, but we are Avis again this summer and would like to be prepared. I can’t be bothered with faffing around with change etc., so we always use the sunpass, thanks in advance.

1998 Villa in Kissimmee 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2014 Villa Lake Berkeley 2016 Villa Bass Lakes 2017 Villa on Solana and Vero Beach 2018 Villa on Highlands Reserve and St Pete Beach 2019 SLC, Cabana Bay, Highlands Reserve & Coronado Springs, 2020 Feb half term villa chilling. 2022 villa on Calabay Park and a trip Clearwater beach. 2023 Orlando and Clearwater
princess allie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 21, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post
disneypars
Imagineer

It's so good to have a thread like this just like pre covid.

Well done Mick
Old 29 May 21, 09:50 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by princess allie View Post
Mick, can you confirm that Avis daily charge is $5.95? We have used their sunglasses scheme in the past, but can’t remember how much we paid. We don’t use many toll roads so I know it didn’t cost a lot, but we are Avis again this summer and would like to be prepared. I can’t be bothered with faffing around with change etc., so we always use the sunpass, thanks in advance.
Alison

Sadly I know no more than the screenshot in my post #36. I haven't used them since 2017.

Seems to be $5.95 per RENTAL day capped at $29.75 (over 30 days). Unlike Alamo which is $3.95 per USAGE day capped at $19.75. Not really much though in the context of the total holiday cost

Mick

Edited at 10:04 AM.
mick is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 21, 09:52 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by disneypars View Post
It's so good to have a thread like this just like pre covid.

Well done Mick
Nobody is more pleased than I to be posting about car hire.

I don't go anywhere near the "current issues" forum - at 75 I like to keep my BP under control and can't cope with all the school playground squabbling.

Mick
Old 29 May 21, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
99plums
Imagineer

Fingers crossed we all get to use it this Summer.
I got a great deal with Thrifty so I’m keen to avoid their rip off toll pass thingy.
99plums is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 21, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post
tapley
Apprentice Imagineer

Sadly the VTP only ever worked from MCO.

You'll have to rely on the individual hire company's Sunpass schemes I'm afraid out of MLB.

Mick
Thanks Mick always helpful .
tapley is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 21, 12:38 PM  
Link to this Post
signtalker
Imagineer

Answer part 3

Whenever I try to help on toll stuff there's always someone happy to say that I've forgotten something.

As I mentioned earlier I keep forgetting that you can buy a mini transponder from the likes of Publix which has a certain amout pre-loaded and you can top it up. It's what the residents do and villa owners like Helen (Gryff)

But that would require you to find a shop that sold them before embarking on any toll road from the airport

Mick

Thanks, so am I right in thinking we don’t need to buy one if we’re happy to pay the tolls in cash ?

Thanks very detailed post

Jules
signtalker is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 21, 01:26 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by signtalker View Post
Thanks, so am I right in thinking we don’t need to buy one if we’re happy to pay the tolls in cash ?

Thanks very detailed post

Jules
Jules

To be 100% certain just go back to the Sunpass site I linked above and at the top open "Traveller information/tolls" to see the map and make sure you don't travel on any cashless tolls.

Otherwise yes just use cash and have a few quarters handy for the unmanned on/off ramps.

Or use the VTP of course

Mick

Edited at 01:36 PM.
mick is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 21, 02:32 PM  
Link to this Post
adz_jh
Proud to wear my Ears

Has anybody manage to download on Android yet? I can't seem to find it ( or I'm just blind )
adz_jh is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 21, 02:34 PM  
Link to this Post
nursetina
Apprentice Imagineer

Excellent news, thanks for keeping us updated.
nursetina is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List