Notices
Disneyland Paris Trip Planning Disneyland Paris Holiday Planning Questions and Tips.

Old 2 Jun 21, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
lpd222
Trainee Dibber

Should we go to DLP?

We've been to Florida 2 times now, we were due to go last year but that obviously got cancelled. Hubby doesn't want to go back to Florida until things have started to feel a bit more 'normal' as he says it won't be the same.

So... I was looking into DLP - dates would be 2 - 5 Jan 22 or 21 - 24 Feb 22. I was thinking of surprising our daughter for her 13th birthday on 29th December.

Hubby says it won't be Disney as we know it as it'll be cold & the parks are smaller & I guess cast members are French but I still want to give it a go with an open mind. I've heard it's fairly quiet straight after new year, I don't want to go when it's mega busy.

Any advice & any tips on booking, hotels, best times to go etc. would be very welcome.
lpd222 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 21, 01:09 PM  
Link to this Post
pinklady1124
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

I've been once in February and honestly the cold did take the shine off things for me. I am someone who HATES the cold though lol. I've heard plenty of people say they have wrapped up warm and still had a whale of a time. I'm just not someone who ever enjoys being out in the cold no matter how wrapped up I am! May and September I found to be perfect, but then again as I've said, I am a heat lover.

I've stayed in the Cheyenne (value/moderate), Newport Bay (deluxe), and offsite. In my opinion, the lower end of the onsite spectrum is where I'll go again next time. I felt NPB did not justify the difference in the price tag, but the handiness of being able to walk everywhere from an onsite hotel is fantastic. There lots of offsite hotels to suit every budget not too far away, and a train station which drops you off right at the front gates.

What I would say (and I'm sure you know), is that DLP is a totally different experience from WDW or DL California. I love them all for what they are in their own individual right, but I consciously go into a DLP trip with different (and in most cases lowered) expectations. The upkeep of the parks and hotels, the attractions available, the customer service, the choice and availability of foods, none of them compare to USA - but I love the atmosphere and unique French beauty of DLP, as well as the more relaxed nature of a trip there as there is less to plan. For me, it gives me the perfect Disney fix in between USA trips and I look forward to a DLP trip as much as a USA trip, but for different reasons. I have however been once with someone who wasn't as in awe of all things DLP as I am and listening to their numerous complaints made me wish I'd just waited and booked a more elaborate USA trip with them instead.

If you think your family will all get on board I say go for it and you might fall in love with the place and make it a regular destination. If there are already doubts about how the experience will match up to a USA trip, those would be warning signs to me after my experience of being there with someone who didn't embrace it fully.

Happy planning and let me know if there are any specific questions you'd like me to answer, I'd be happy to help.
Old 2 Jun 21, 02:09 PM  
Link to this Post
skinnybaby
Apprentice Imagineer

I'd say, if youre not going to florida anytime soon and have never been to DLP then do it, just to try it.
Im the same and ive been to Florida twice before, DLP isnt the same but its a bit of Disney closer to home.

I went in Oct/Nov and it was freezing and i think that does make a difference to the atmosphere but i think you just have to accept that and be prepared.

I am booked to go back to DLP this December so the weather hasnt put me off, but i will say it doesnt compare to WDW.

Also, if you or your family are 'foodies' at all then expect to be unimpressed. Unfortunately the offering at DLP doesnt even come near to WDW its very basic stuff, nothing to get excited about. Bistro Chez Remy and Captain Jacks are the 2 exceptions, they were great meals if you want something other than a burger or croissant.

This is obviously just my opinion and i think it sounds like im saying DLP is crap but its not, its got its own charm and some great rides/attractions.

Worth doing at least once, but i'd just give your hubby the heads up that its and entirely different holiday.

And any moaning will result in the immediate booking of a Florida trip
skinnybaby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 21, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Bondy007
Imagineer

Firstly it is most definitely Disney, just a little different. Not in a bad way. Secondly, the cast members aren’t all French!
Disneyland Park is a fair old size and well worth a few days to mooch around. The Studio is improving all the time, used to be a half day, pushing a 1 day park, but now definitely (for me) a 2 dayer.
Weather wise, plan for all weathers! No matter time of year and you will love it.
We were there Feb last year, bloomin cold but fantastic. September 2011, 25 degrees in the shade and wall to wall sunshine, September 2012 was the polar opposite!
Sequoia Lodge is a great option, Newport Bay also, we’d booked for Disneyland Hotel this February but obviously had to cancel! New York is now Marvel themed which is cool...
But ultimately, do it, anytime any hotel. It’s a great Disney fix 😀
Old 2 Jun 21, 07:27 PM  
Link to this Post
MENTALMUM
Very Serious Dibber

We are going in October, two weeks after returning from Florida, granted we have moved this trip from June and both my trips now are very close together but DLP is so very different from WDW. If you go expecting it to be like WDW you will be very dissapointed but we love them both for very different reasons. Just for information, if you have thrill seekers in your party then big thunder Mountain and hyperspace mountain are so much better than WDW. the French definitely know how to make it exciting. Food wise, it's nothing like orlando but then again the French don't really do quick service, they like to spend time eating and do not like to rush. I have always manged to find food for my very fussy family and they have always been well fed.
We last went December 2019 and the Christmas season was amazing. Obviously should have been going in June but now looking forward to Halloween season instead.
Give it a try, you may find you want to keep returning.
MENTALMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 21, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Disneyleo
slightly serious Dibber

I think with dlp you have to take it for what it is and try not to compare.
There are some fabulous unique to Paris rides/attractions. All of the toy story rides, crush coaster, the Alice in wonderland maze, ratatouille (although they are opening this in Epcot) and more. Also big thunder mountain is 1000% better in dlp!
The castle is beautiful, not as big as Florida but more detailed I think.
It’s also much easier to get around,both parks and Disney village are all within walking distance of eachother.
The biggest negative for us was the food options, don’t go with high hopes of fab Disney snacks etc. honestly we ate in mcdonalds most lunches.
Disneyleo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 21, 07:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Enchanted
Imagineer

I was so surprised with how I felt about DLP.
After 30yrs of visiting Florida and countless number of trips I was really worried it was going to be a disappointment but it wasn't.
We went in May 2019 for the first time with our 1yr old, I didn't fancy doing the trip to Florida until he was older. We all loved it so much we booked again as soon as we got home to return 6mths later in the December to celebrate his 2nd Birthday out there.

The parks themselves are beautiful and many of the rides much better than their US equivalents. I loved being able to just walk to the parks from the hotel, so much easier and a lovely walk through the village. We actually really enjoyed the food and had great meals at Rainforest Cafe, Earl of Sandwich, the hotel buffets and some of the standard park food was lovely. We stayed at Santa Fe and Sequoia Lodge and would happily return to either.
I do agree with the poster above about the weather however, I wouldn't go in winter again, really limited what we did.
We're hoping to return next May with our DS who will be 4 by then and his new baby sister for her first trip who will be 1.
Enchanted is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 21, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post

What is wrong with the cast members being French? Seems a very strange issue to have.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 21, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
lpd222
Trainee Dibber

Originally Posted by DLPFan View Post
What is wrong with the cast members being French? Seems a very strange issue to have.
Strange post. I didn’t say there was anything wrong with the cast members being french - I was saying that they will be french as opposed to American, you know with it not being in America.
lpd222 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 21, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post
lpd222
Trainee Dibber

Thank you for the helpful comments folks. I think we will give it a try - it’d be rude not to 😂

I think we just need to not be expecting Disney World - it’ll be Disney but not as we know it 😍