Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 18 Jul 21, 09:36 AM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Slore View Post
Thanks for this link! Is there a similar one for Lyft?
Yes there is.: lyft/rider/fare-estimate
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 21, 07:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Slore
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by loldis View Post
Yes there is.: lyft/rider/fare-estimate
Amazing thank you!
Slore is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 21, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Jenksy74
Serious Dibber

We are going without car for first time as we are not doing Disney and staying middle of Idrive. Lynx bus system is meant to be easy and regular or there is the I trolley. Easy travelling to Universal, DC, Seaworld, Aquatica, outlets etc etc. If we go to Disney Springs it's 1 change on bus. I won't justify the outrageous cost of car hire just now and when you factor in parking fees and waiting in parking queue's it adds a huge chunk on. Uber/lyft also have a discount for your first ride if you doing that from airport.

T
Jenksy74 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 21, 10:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Not related to the OP's question but the following page on the DIBB's guidebook might be useful for those choosing not to use a car:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/Orl...-Car-p-85.html

It's a little out of date and doesn't mention Uber/Lyft, but gives people an idea of the bus services in the area.

We've never had a car during our 8 trips to Orlando. And with Uber/Lyft now becoming a thing and the price of parking rising all the time, then the benefits of having a car have become less over time. So I doubt we would ever hire a car in the future.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 21, 11:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Jenksy74
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
Not related to the OP's question but the following page on the DIBB's guidebook might be useful for those choosing not to use a car:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/Orl...-Car-p-85.html

It's a little out of date and doesn't mention Uber/Lyft, but gives people an idea of the bus services in the area.

We've never had a car during our 8 trips to Orlando. And with Uber/Lyft now becoming a thing and the price of parking rising all the time, then the benefits of having a car have become less over time. So I doubt we would ever hire a car in the future.
In the times I've been we've needed a car as there was 6/7 of us at the time and we stayed in villa and on site. Now that we are staying middle Idrive next year and not doing Disney I'm looking forward to supercheap and regular bus/uber/lyft and not having to pay over the odds for car, parking, gas.

T
Jenksy74 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 21, 02:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Jenksy74 View Post
In the times I've been we've needed a car as there was 6/7 of us at the time and we stayed in villa and on site. Now that we are staying middle Idrive next year and not doing Disney I'm looking forward to supercheap and regular bus/uber/lyft and not having to pay over the odds for car, parking, gas.
That's the thing - we've never stayed in a villa. I think for anyone who does then a car is probably required, unless they plan on spending most of their time in the villa.

We either stay on I Drive or onsite at Disney. When on I Drive we've used the hotel shuttles to get to the parks and used either the I Ride trolley bus or Lynx bus to get around I Drive. The hotel shuttles are generally fine for Universal and Seaworld but can be a little limited when going to Disney, although not as bad as some make out.

Last time we went we stayed at a Disney hotel and used taxis to get from Disney to Universal and Seaworld and do some shopping. I hadn't quite got my head round Uber/Lyft then.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 21, 04:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Jenksy74
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
That's the thing - we've never stayed in a villa. I think for anyone who does then a car is probably required, unless they plan on spending most of their time in the villa.

We either stay on I Drive or onsite at Disney. When on I Drive we've used the hotel shuttles to get to the parks and used either the I Ride trolley bus or Lynx bus to get around I Drive. The hotel shuttles are generally fine for Universal and Seaworld but can be a little limited when going to Disney, although not as bad as some make out.

Last time we went we stayed at a Disney hotel and used taxis to get from Disney to Universal and Seaworld and do some shopping. I hadn't quite got my head round Uber/Lyft then.
Yes I've never done Lynx but heard they are very often and punctual, I've heard the I trolley can be a bit crammed and doesn't quite go to Universal and obvs doesn't go to D Springs so a 14 day Lynx ticket should cover everything, even 1 day at Disney if we do that... The kind of money we save having a car is a tonne of shopping or a day at Disney AND 1 night in a Universal hotel if we decide to do that for express passes... Total no brainer

T
Old 23 Jul 21, 12:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Jenksy74 View Post
Yes I've never done Lynx but heard they are very often and punctual, I've heard the I trolley can be a bit crammed and doesn't quite go to Universal and obvs doesn't go to D Springs so a 14 day Lynx ticket should cover everything, even 1 day at Disney if we do that... The kind of money we save having a car is a tonne of shopping or a day at Disney AND 1 night in a Universal hotel if we decide to do that for express passes... Total no brainer
Yes, the I Ride trolley bus can get a bit crammed. We still tended to use it but more for nostalgic reasons really. Back when we first visited around 1997 the I Ride was great - it wasn't busy, the drivers were really entertaining, and it was 'different'.

Getting the Lynx buses to Disney Springs might take a while. You need to get a bus to near Seaworld and then wait a bit before getting the #50 bus towards Disney. It can take an hour in total. An Uber would be quicker and more convenient, but would cost a bit more.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Old 23 Jul 21, 01:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Shades
Gone all Goofy

We have always hired a car on our previous visits (mostly onsite but we did have a Villa one year.) When onsite we mostly only used the car for Universal, Seaworld & Canaveral as Disney buses were fine most of the time. We would occasionally go to water parks driving (& take in the golf).

When we go in January we are going carless as we are only spending a week in the World then a Disney cruise. We have organised themagicalexpress.com from the airport then Disney transportation from the resort to Port & back to MCO.

This means being able to not have to stay sober on the flight out, no tolls, no resort parking fees, no huge airport car pickup queues. We are staying at AofA so we have two parks on tap if the skyliner is up without the bus. No off-property trips though!
Shades is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 21, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post
jim jehosofat
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Shades View Post
We have always hired a car on our previous visits (mostly onsite but we did have a Villa one year.) When onsite we mostly only used the car for Universal, Seaworld & Canaveral as Disney buses were fine most of the time. We would occasionally go to water parks driving (& take in the golf).

When we go in January we are going carless as we are only spending a week in the World then a Disney cruise. We have organised themagicalexpress.com from the airport then Disney transportation from the resort to Port & back to MCO.

This means being able to not have to stay sober on the flight out, no tolls, no resort parking fees, no huge airport car pickup queues. We are staying at AofA so we have two parks on tap if the skyliner is up without the bus. No off-property trips though!
You do know that the free Magical Express will not be operating next year? Have you managed to book a chargeable replacement service?
jim jehosofat is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List