Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 8 Aug 17, 06:01 PM  
Link to this Post
SEAWORLD FAN
slightly serious Dibber

Sounds like you had a great first day at the skating and also that your mum was grateful for her present. Isn't it nice that you share a common interest and can spend some quality time together?

I note that there was not a lot to write about the hot dog you had at the arena. I have to assume that this is due to the fact that R.C. wasn't there! (I'm still getting a kick out of your food report and the "how do I take my dogs" bit )

Edited at 06:03 PM.
SEAWORLD FAN is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 17, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by SEAWORLD FAN View Post
Sounds like you had a great first day at the skating and also that your mum was grateful for her present. Isn't it nice that you share a common interest and can spend some quality time together?

I note that there was not a lot to write about the hot dog you had at the arena. I have to assume that this is due to the fact that R.C. wasn't there! (I'm still getting a kick out of your food report and the "how do I take my dogs" bit )
DM and I are going to the gymnastics later this year - I'm just grateful SOMEONE will go with me - as DH and DS would sooner the dentist.

And nicely done with the hot dog joke - - I do appreciate a close reader!

Seriously, though - you'd think with an audience composed almost entirely of women - they could have offered something other than hot dogs.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 17, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
SEAWORLD FAN
slightly serious Dibber

Would I be a bad reader if I admitted that I have no interest in skating whatsoever and am here purely for references to Boston and Washington and for your witty musings? However, I do love to watch the gymnastics and am now jealous of your upcoming plans to see some. I like to imagine that I would be excellent on the Floor exercise, no idea why but my absolute favourite to watch is the Men's Parallel Bars. (Hope my apostrophe is correct there )
SEAWORLD FAN is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 17, 10:36 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by SEAWORLD FAN View Post
Would I be a bad reader if I admitted that I have no interest in skating whatsoever and am here purely for references to Boston and Washington and for your witty musings? However, I do love to watch the gymnastics and am now jealous of your upcoming plans to see some. I like to imagine that I would be excellent on the Floor exercise, no idea why but my absolute favourite to watch is the Men's Parallel Bars. (Hope my apostrophe is correct there )
Is it the arms? 'Cause I wouldn't blame you if it was...

...hubba hubba.

Please (PLEASE) don't feel obligated to read (or comment on) posts that aren't interesting to you. PLEASE. This is supposed to be fun - not work. I'd feel awful if I thought you were slogging through the posts.

And I'm sure you'd be EXCELLENT on the floor.
Old 1 Nov 17, 05:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Cazzius
Apprentice Imagineer

What a great day!
I can't believe the stadium didn't try to cash in on all the lady skating fans by having some more 'ladylike' foods. I know that's sexist but I am sure there is NO classy way to eat a hot dog. Why not some picky snacky food like corn dog nuggets, or chicken tenders or pretzels? Still 'stadium' food but at least a little more elegant (imho - I expect your DM would disagree!)

I'm not an ice skating fan so don't know the people competing but I do like the outfits and reading what they did. I love watching the ice dance when it is on TV for the Winter Olympics too.
Have you seen the Disney Ice Princess film where the girl who plays Dawn in Buffy figures out how to be a great skater using maths? I got it on DVD for £3 when HMV was closing down and love it as a feeling poorly/rainy day film.

The boys sound like they had a good day. Interesting to read what they got up to while you were watching sports. It did make me laugh that RC forgot that Poot is allergic to shellfish! Lucky Poot remembered!

The Harvard Museum looks excellent, and I am very impressed by the large amythyst, they are so pretty. Please let Poot know that I enjoyed his report.

The food that they had all sounds really good. Amusing that Poot noticed the price of the meals - perhaps that is because he is remembering and comparing with the Sainsbury's cafe menu

I am glad that you got a 2nd opinion and were able to have Poot seen, diagnosed and sorted quickly. It must have been a real weight off your mind for it to be removed and then benign.

On to day 2, more skating and hopefully no anaphylactic (sp?) shock!

First Time Floribobs (The Irma Remix) - WDW trip report *Complete*
While The Cat's Away, The Caz Will Play With The Mouse - Solo DLP Trip Report
Cazzius is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 17, 03:13 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Cazzius View Post
What a great day!
I can't believe the stadium didn't try to cash in on all the lady skating fans by having some more 'ladylike' foods. I know that's sexist but I am sure there is NO classy way to eat a hot dog. Why not some picky snacky food like corn dog nuggets, or chicken tenders or pretzels? Still 'stadium' food but at least a little more elegant (imho - I expect your DM would disagree!)

I'm not an ice skating fan so don't know the people competing but I do like the outfits and reading what they did. I love watching the ice dance when it is on TV for the Winter Olympics too.
Have you seen the Disney Ice Princess film where the girl who plays Dawn in Buffy figures out how to be a great skater using maths? I got it on DVD for £3 when HMV was closing down and love it as a feeling poorly/rainy day film.

The boys sound like they had a good day. Interesting to read what they got up to while you were watching sports. It did make me laugh that RC forgot that Poot is allergic to shellfish! Lucky Poot remembered!

The Harvard Museum looks excellent, and I am very impressed by the large amythyst, they are so pretty. Please let Poot know that I enjoyed his report.

The food that they had all sounds really good. Amusing that Poot noticed the price of the meals - perhaps that is because he is remembering and comparing with the Sainsbury's cafe menu

I am glad that you got a 2nd opinion and were able to have Poot seen, diagnosed and sorted quickly. It must have been a real weight off your mind for it to be removed and then benign.

On to day 2, more skating and hopefully no anaphylactic (sp?) shock!
Not sexist at all! Accurate! Sexist would have been "They should have been selling Kale Chips and Rice Cakes. And they should have placed scales in all the ladies' rooms."

I do appreciate that the purpose of the exercise is to make money - and I'm sure it was cheaper to sell exactly what they sell at hockey games. It was much the same in Montréal at the gymnastics - there were all these stands selling $13 beers - and I thought...Why? I didn't see ONE PERSON with a beer. They could have made a mint selling peppermint tea and some nice buns.

It's funny that you mentioned Ice Princess. The fabulous collybird and I had a chat SOMEWHERE in this trippie (edit: I've looked - it's earlier in this thread) about that one and The Cutting Edge (and its MULTIPLE sequels! Who knew?). I've still to see Ice Princess, but it's on my list. As you know, I am a sucker for that kind of thing. After seeing the gymnastics I found myself wondering how many cheesy gymnastics films there are out there. I then went on Amazon and ordered a copy of Stick It. L'Armee des Ombres it ain't, I imagine.

Oh, and my maternal uncle has a tiny part in Ice Castles. I saw him in August and I think he said that last year he got a residual check for something like eighty cents!

And I KNOW, RIGHT? How do you forget your kid's allergies? R.C. really is an absent-minded professor - I'm just happy he's never forgotten my birthday.

And...yes. Poot notices the cost of food because I do. I fear I am one of those tedious people who thinks, "Why would I pay £50 for a meal I could make myself for £10"? And I say it out loud, too. Oops.

When Poot and I had our flying visit to Boston this summer, we spent a couple hours wandering around Harvard (my first time) - it was really interesting.
Old 8 Dec 17, 01:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Cazzius
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by GopherLass View Post
Not sexist at all! Accurate! Sexist would have been "They should have been selling Kale Chips and Rice Cakes. And they should have placed scales in all the ladies' rooms."

I do appreciate that the purpose of the exercise is to make money - and I'm sure it was cheaper to sell exactly what they sell at hockey games. It was much the same in Montréal at the gymnastics - there were all these stands selling $13 beers - and I thought...Why? I didn't see ONE PERSON with a beer. They could have made a mint selling peppermint tea and some nice buns.

It's funny that you mentioned Ice Princess. The fabulous collybird and I had a chat SOMEWHERE in this trippie (edit: I've looked - it's earlier in this thread) about that one and The Cutting Edge (and its MULTIPLE sequels! Who knew?). I've still to see Ice Princess, but it's on my list. As you know, I am a sucker for that kind of thing. After seeing the gymnastics I found myself wondering how many cheesy gymnastics films there are out there. I then went on Amazon and ordered a copy of Stick It. L'Armee des Ombres it ain't, I imagine.

Oh, and my maternal uncle has a tiny part in Ice Castles. I saw him in August and I think he said that last year he got a residual check for something like eighty cents!

And I KNOW, RIGHT? How do you forget your kid's allergies? R.C. really is an absent-minded professor - I'm just happy he's never forgotten my birthday.

And...yes. Poot notices the cost of food because I do. I fear I am one of those tedious people who thinks, "Why would I pay £50 for a meal I could make myself for £10"? And I say it out loud, too. Oops.

When Poot and I had our flying visit to Boston this summer, we spent a couple hours wandering around Harvard (my first time) - it was really interesting.
They clearly need to speak to someone about their merchandising and catering! Some pretty scarves, gloves and berets for the ice skating would have been perfect, maybe thermal drinking cups, lanyards for tickets, perhaps some jewellery (skate earrings, bag charms, etc)
It's like they are leaving money on the table!

Ice Princess is a lovely film, I have never seen Cutting Edge so will have to watch that. Funny you mention the numerous sequels, as I used to cheerlead we have a lot of cheerleading movies - and there are 5 Bring It On films! One of which takes place at Universal Orlando.

I have never seen Ice Castles either so will have to watch that and add to the annual residual royalty cheque.

My friend's dad confuses whether she or her sister has the shellfish allergy, so maybe it is not such an unusual fatherly trait!

Thank you so much for sharing your trip with us, you are inspiring me to visit Boston and revisit Washington DC too.

First Time Floribobs (The Irma Remix) - WDW trip report *Complete*
While The Cat's Away, The Caz Will Play With The Mouse - Solo DLP Trip Report
Cazzius is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 17, 10:27 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Cazzius View Post
They clearly need to speak to someone about their merchandising and catering! Some pretty scarves, gloves and berets for the ice skating would have been perfect, maybe thermal drinking cups, lanyards for tickets, perhaps some jewellery (skate earrings, bag charms, etc)
It's like they are leaving money on the table!

Ice Princess is a lovely film, I have never seen Cutting Edge so will have to watch that. Funny you mention the numerous sequels, as I used to cheerlead we have a lot of cheerleading movies - and there are 5 Bring It On films! One of which takes place at Universal Orlando.

I have never seen Ice Castles either so will have to watch that and add to the annual residual royalty cheque.

My friend's dad confuses whether she or her sister has the shellfish allergy, so maybe it is not such an unusual fatherly trait!

Thank you so much for sharing your trip with us, you are inspiring me to visit Boston and revisit Washington DC too.

I watched Bring It On on a flight!

I can still see the actress who was "Faith" on Angel...

...I transferred from Los Angeles
Your school has no gymnastics team
This is a last resort

Funny.

...and I probably would have bought ice skate earrings. I do own ones shaped like tiny baseballs...

Old 5 Apr 18, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
rosered
slightly serious Dibber

I grew up in Nottingham in the late seventies/ early eighties and everyone in the city was an ice dance expert because we were all so proud of Torvill and Dean!

I used to skate two or three times a week and one of the highlights was watching them train before we ordinary mortals were allowed on the ice - it really was a privilege and an experience I will never forget.
rosered is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 18, 11:15 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by rosered View Post
I grew up in Nottingham in the late seventies/ early eighties and everyone in the city was an ice dance expert because we were all so proud of Torvill and Dean!

I used to skate two or three times a week and one of the highlights was watching them train before we ordinary mortals were allowed on the ice - it really was a privilege and an experience I will never forget.
WOW! What a treat!

And fab to hear from another skater, too. It breaks my heart to see what has happened to skating in this country. I get the whole lottery money only goes to SUCCESSFUL sports thing - but skating is a sport that needs money to GET some success. Look at what British Gymnastics has been able to achieve!

Thanks so much for popping over to Boston with us. Where is that little kid who contributed to this TR? Somebody took him and replaced him with a young man!

Edited at 11:22 PM.