Old 14 May 10, 08:22 PM  
Link to this Post
jeanwales
Imagineer

jeanwales's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
jean and Barbara do New York again in the WARM! day one

My friend Barbara and I went to New York 18 months ago – trip report here... our first trip to New York
We both felt that there were things we couldn’t do as we were there when it was bitterly cold so we thought about it and one night while we were chatting we decided to go back one more time and see all the sights in the warmer weather, so we did plenty of planning and thought we would try and make it a more relaxing trip this time but still take in some of this marvellous city. Little were we to know when we were planning it just how worn out we were going to return!
So Wednesday the 5th May finally arrives and Barbara comes over to our house and we load the half empty cases into my car and we set off. We decided to stop at Birchwood and check out the QVC outlet# Then we went to the Travelodge and our £9 room for our overnight stay. We went to the Romper for a lovely meal, we sat outside but it did get a bit nippy so back for an early night and try to sleep but as normal hardly any.
#
We got up bright and early next morning and took the car to the shuttle park then got the bus to terminal 2. We had a lovely bacon and egg bap at the cafe just after you go through security. Very taasty and no big queues. I surprised Barbara as she had no idea about the smoking area airside at gate 300 so down the steps we went and she was thrilled and managed to have a few smokes..
The flight was good – Continental – the flight should have gone at 9.25 but was 15 minutes late and the leg room was brill apart from the lady in the row in front of us which was on the emergency exit and she was still reclining the whole journey. I did ask her to put it back while we were eating but I got a dirty look for it! I watched the film Leap Year and Ghost and also played games.Their entertainment is so much better than virgin. The movies are all on demand and it is all touch screen. Passed the time well.

Love the view just before we land although it was a bit hazy – left hand side of the plane if anyone is interested.

We managed to land 15 minutes early despite the late departure.
We got through immigration great and our cases one of the first off – so far so good. Dumped Barbara outside with the cases for a smoke and I rang carmelimo – they said they would be there in 5 mins but we waited and waited and nothing. Rang them back up and they said they had gone to wrong terminal and would be straight over. We waited another 20 mins then gave up and got a cab which came to $80 with toll and tip – so a bit disappointed with them and now would not recommend them.

The cab was fine and took us to the New York Helmsley on E 42nd street. We felt the wow factor from outside and when we went in at 2pm our rooms weren't ready till 4 so we left our cases and walked along to the Grand Central Station and got our metro tickets as we were going to be brave and use the subway this trip, then had a look round, marvelling at the structure and watching all the people rushing around

then we walked back to the hotel via the Chrysler Building. This was our favourite building on our last visit.

I had read that you could go in the lobby so in we went and another wow factor.The ceilings were amazing and we took some photos then back to see if our rooms were ready.

Clarion Inn formerly Comfort Inn LBV twice a year since 1991
jeanwales is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 10, 08:23 PM  
Link to this Post
jeanwales
Imagineer

jeanwales's Reviews
The next highlight was when we got back and got our rooms on the 28th and 29th floor – wow! fantastic rooms.

We had corner rooms and we were so chuffed as we could see the Chrysler building from the window

and the rooms were big and the bed big and just looked posh for what we normally stay at. We even had a bit of a hall leading into our room. The bathroom was big and lots of toiletries and the bed was so big and comfortable.

And something I am definitely not used to in the hotels we normally go to, a lovely plush dressing gown which I wallowed in for most of the time I spent in the room. A quick swill of water in the sink then we set off out and ventured on the subway for the first time and went to 51st lexington – a whole one stop! But then we walked to St Patricks Cathedral and we were both blown away bt the windows here.

It was an amazing building and we loved walking round it. From the outside you cannot see the stained glass windows but inside they were beautiful.

Edited at 03:06 PM.
jeanwales is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 10, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
jeanwales
Imagineer

jeanwales's Reviews
Then we felt peckish but didn't feel like anything heavy and really needed something to keep us awake so we headed for Ellens. We both had an omelette and fries. It was tasty and filled the gap. The entertainment was great. The waitresses and waiters are all budding Broadway stars and continually take turns to sing while serving. We went there last time and loved it so it was on our list of things to re-do.

Edited at 10:01 PM.
Old 14 May 10, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
jeanwales
Imagineer

jeanwales's Reviews
We walked along and right outside the radio city we saw some models being filmed, no idea who they were but it was gathering quite a crowd.

We then went to the Rockefeller Plaza and up we went with tickets bought online.

The plan being to stay till dark but after walking round and oohing and aaahing we both felt shattered and decided to get the subway back and retire for the evening. Into the room for a relaxing bath then collapsing into bed but not before peeping out of the window and marvelling at the amazing views at night. I spent a lot of time looking out of the window during this trip.

Day two can be found by clicking here!

Edited at 03:06 PM.
Old 14 May 10, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post

Wow - fab hotel and definitely a room with a view.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 10, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Leeds Tink
Imagineer

Leeds Tink's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 35
Great hotel. Looking forward to reading Day 2
Old 14 May 10, 08:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinklfly
Imagineer

Tinklfly's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
I was hoping you'd do a trippie Jean, I loved your last one so much. Your photos are brilliant and bringing back some great memories of our trip at Easter. We loved Ellens too. I've never known such talented waiting staff! Looking forward to the next installment.
Old 14 May 10, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Helen0705
Imagineer

Helen0705's Reviews
What a fab hotel room and view .
Loved your pics from the Top of the Rock.
We too went to New York when it was bitterly cold and I'd love to go back in the summer months to see Central Park green !
Thanks for posting and looking forward to reading more.
Have a great time
Helen0705 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 10, 09:40 PM  
Link to this Post
k l is excited
Imagineer

Hi Jean, The hotel looks lovely, can't wait till we go on 15/08/10. Neither of us smokes was your room a non-smoking room if so I might email the hotel nearer the time of our holiday and put a request in. Was it a king size bed or did you have 2 doubles and the other not showing on photo? Our youngest daughter will be sharing our room and our son and his girlfriend have booked a kingsize bedded room.

Was Ellen's reasonably priced for meals.

Thanks for taking the time to write your trippie so quickly.

Karen
k l is excited is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 10, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
jeanwales
Imagineer

jeanwales's Reviews
Hi Karen
When we booked the hotel I actually asked for one smoking and one non smoking room. they have a couple of floors which are totally smoking, but it wont do any harm to email them nearer the time just to make sure you get the non smoking floor.
it was a massive kingsize bed in the rooms. Not sure if they have doubles as well, might be worth asking when you email them.
Ellens was fairly reasonable as far as reasonable goes in New York. We paid $50 for our 2 meals plus a drink. they do come round with the bucket as well asking for your support to help them through singing college!
Any questions, just fire away karen.
The drinks in the hotel are expensive as you would expect. when we arrived we were parched and had 2 orange juices at $5 each. We didnt mind as we were so thirsty but we didnt buy any more! There is a pharmacy on the corner and also a Duane Reade nearby which has all sorts there so stock up on your cold drinks etc there. We also had a drink in the Starbucks most evenings on the way back to the hotel.