Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 5 Aug 17, 10:54 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Bianca View Post
Hello stranger!

Flour looks fab (see... I'm down with the lingo of 2017 ). I do like those kinds of businesses set up by people who have business minds but who are passionate about their method for making money, too - i.e. quality of product/service matters and you're getting something better for your money. (I don't think the Disney parks would ever have been created if the current execs were the original decision-makers.)

To Starbuck oneself: VERB [WITH OBJECT]
Provide with the caffeine or other substances necessary for vacationing with family!

Shame they crammed people onto the Fenway tour (did you give them any feedback about that?), but it does sound like it was interesting. I know next to nothing about baseball, but I now know about Ted and the Red Seat. (That sounds a bit like a children's book, doesn't it?)

OK... You speak Serbian? How did that come about?

Also, don't tell your mother, but I'm less keen on pairs skating, too. No Christopher Dean choreography in the pairs, maybe that's it.

As for skating in national dress...

...Absolutely!

Did the maple candy have the same effect on your DM as it did on Ross in friends? (Which will be lost on you if you didn't watch it!
)

Back to skating... I love the Les Mis music, so I would have enjoyed that. I shall not comment on forgetting the British skater! We've really lost our edge in skating haven't we? (It's back somewhere in the 1980s.) ...Ooh and Guys and Dolls, too! Sit down, sit down, sit down, sit down (if you can ) you're rockin' the boat!

Onto Poot's report: -

Papa Poubelle! ... Fenway have their own kitchen garden -- that's very impressive. I wonder how common that is in those kinds of arenas. Good on them. ... Great grin on the swing (if only that rhymed). I think I'd have framed that. Then again, you do have the real thing! ... $4 is very reasonable for the Paul Revere museum, but shame no photos. ...And the falling steeple photo is incredible. Wow! But I can't spot the missing chip from the building next door. ... How have I never heard about the Molasses Flood before?

Great day April. Lots packed in between you all. (Hence my many comments!)
I don't think the Disney parks would ever have been created if the current execs were the original decision-makers.

OK, I'm quite glad the Dibb doesn't offer a "Like" option, but if it did - I would like the above sentence fifty times!

I'm not going to suggest the FP tour for non-baseball fans, but they must get *enough* of them that the guides put in some "for dummies" bits. I assumed DH would kvetch about the tour - but he really did like it.

And you are right - I should have given feedback. I tend not to though, when I know I won't be back somewhere. Because I am cynical and lazy. But mostly lazy.

I trained as an historian - Balkan history. Hence the Serbian. It's a beautiful language - and they're a fascinating people. Once I read "Black Lamb and Grey Falcon" - I was a goner.

I know you didn't ask about favourite books - but that's mine.

I think the pairs event has become a victim of the new code of points. As the big jump combinations/lifts/throws get more and more difficult - there is less time for artistry - and less attention paid to it. The Chinese pair are the perfect example, I fear. "Egyptian hands" do not an Aida program make.

But that Mexican number WOULD make a program. NICE.

How kind of you to give bits for Poot's report!

EDIT: His reply follows...

Thank you for commenting on my report. It is quite UNCOMMON for ballparks to have vegetable patches - but I thought it was amazing to think that you can get baseball food grown right there.

Yes, $4 WAS reasonable for the Paul Revere Museum - but I suppose it might have gone up now. I understand why they don't allow photos - but it was still sad. I did buy some postcards there, though.

I think the reason why you may not have heard about the molasses flood before is that it has been overshadowed by BIGGER disasters. But on hot days in Boston you can STILL SMELL the Molasses in that neighbourhood. Isn't that cool? There is a good book about the flood for adults called "Dark Tide".

And HAHA - My dad was Papa Poubelle last night again when he finished my pizza! Mother didn't cook proper food because we were out all day at the Athletics. We had pretty bad seats but it was still good.

Ungrateful child!

PS: I only ever watched one episode of Friends. I really struggle with sitcoms. Except for M*A*S*H - and Blackadder, of course.

Edited at 10:17 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 17, 12:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by GopherLass View Post
I don't think the Disney parks would ever have been created if the current execs were the original decision-makers.

OK, I'm quite glad the Dibb doesn't offer a "Like" option, but if it did - I would like the above sentence fifty times!
I'm pleased you agree, but it's the kind of comment that can get me into trouble if used at large around The Dibb. (Although that doesn't always stop me. ) I really believe it, though. I get frustrated by comments like, "What do you expect, they're there to make money?" Originally, it was about much more than just making money. I think it's myopic to forget that money has no value if there's nothing of value with which to exchange it.

...I'll roll off my soap box now!

Also, I agree about the like button - I don't really like them either.

[I'm not going to suggest the FP tour for non-baseball fans, but they must get *enough* of them that the guides put in some "for dummies" bits. I assumed DH would kvetch about the tour - but he really did like it.

And you are right - I should have given feedback. I tend not to though, when I know I won't be back somewhere. Because I am cynical and lazy. But mostly lazy.

I trained as an historian - Balkan history. Hence the Serbian. It's a beautiful language - and they're a fascinating people. Once I read "Black Lamb and Grey Falcon" - I was a goner.

I know you didn't ask about favourite books - but that's mine.

I think the pairs event has become a victim of the new code of points. As the big jump combinations/lifts/throws get more and more difficult - there is less time for artistry - and less attention paid to it. The Chinese pair are the perfect example, I fear. "Egyptian hands" do not an Aida program make.

But that Mexican number WOULD make a program. NICE.

How kind of you to give bits for Poot's report! I will go through them with him tomorrow and edit in his reply.

PS: I only ever watched one episode of Friends. I really struggle with sitcoms. Except for M*A*S*H - and Blackadder, of course.
Re. the feedback thing, I don't generally bother because I suspect it rarely, if ever, gets back to the people who have the clout. (Those decision-makers again.) I'll share a nice comment, if only to perk up the person in front of me, but, well... I see your cynical perspective now!

Ooh, you trained in Balkan history. That sounds like the pursuit of a genuine passion. (Another reason I'm a fan of homeschooling is the ability to pursue genuine interests a little or a lot.) Was Serbian difficult to learn? I haven't heard of "Black Lamb and Grey Falcon", I'll mosey over to amazon and hunt it out.

I didn't know about the changes to scoring in the pairs (as an aside, it's become too complicated, for me, in gymnastics). So, the skaters really have to forgo some of the finer details in favour of the more sensational acrobatics if they want to compete.

BTW, please feel free to discard the "u" in favour! On which topic, I read (somewhere) that many Americanisms, as we see them, are actually the original spellings/use of words and we're the ones who changed things. Changed for the better? Who can say!

Poot's reports are excellent and absolutely worth the replies.

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 17, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post

I'm pleased you agree, but it's the kind of comment that can get me into trouble if used at large around The Dibb. (Although that doesn't always stop me. ) I really believe it, though. I get frustrated by comments like, "What do you expect, they're there to make money?" Originally, it was about much more than just making money. I think it's myopic to forget that money has no value if there's nothing of value with which to exchange it.

...I'll roll off my soap box now!

Also, I agree about the like button - I don't really like them either.

Re. the feedback thing, I don't generally bother because I suspect it rarely, if ever, gets back to the people who have the clout. (Those decision-makers again.) I'll share a nice comment, if only to perk up the person in front of me, but, well... I see your cynical perspective now!

Ooh, you trained in Balkan history. That sounds like the pursuit of a genuine passion. (Another reason I'm a fan of homeschooling is the ability to pursue genuine interests a little or a lot.) Was Serbian difficult to learn? I haven't heard of "Black Lamb and Grey Falcon", I'll mosey over to amazon and hunt it out.

I didn't know about the changes to scoring in the pairs (as an aside, it's become too complicated, for me, in gymnastics). So, the skaters really have to forgo some of the finer details in favour of the more sensational acrobatics if they want to compete.

BTW, please feel free to discard the "u" in favour! On which topic, I read (somewhere) that many Americanisms, as we see them, are actually the original spellings/use of words and we're the ones who changed things. Changed for the better? Who can say!

Poot's reports are excellent and absolutely worth the replies.
Not to be one of those tedious "Walt would be spinning in his grave!" people, BUT...

I try and think of "Carrousel Bench Walt" and "World's Fair Walt" when I think of the parks.

SO...does what TDO wants to do/build/close/change fall in with one or both of the prongs of Walt's original approach(es) to the parks?

And if the answer is "no" - then I don't want it. Walt LOVED making money - but his approach to getting it was wide-eyed, rather than cynical - and that's why it worked.

Oh, dear - is there room for two of us on the soapbox?

And my issue with the "Like" button is this:

When they are available, I think (many/most) people are more likely to try and be flip/funny/clever in the hope of getting likes - rather than give a genuine or helpful answer. And shy people feel intimidated - "what if I work up the nerve to post and no one 'likes' me?"

"Black Lamb and Grey Falcon" (in addition to being - IMHO - the best travelogue ever written) was the inspiration for Robert Kaplan's "Balkan Ghosts" - which many believe was the basis for the Clinton administration's foreign policy during the Balkan War(s) of the 1990s.

Please don't feel obligated to read either book!

Yes, I think you are right - and the scoring in skating HAS become very similar to the scoring in gymnastics. And I still go round and round about both. I totally get (and support) the desire for greater transparency in judging, but I think some of the artistry is lost (and gymnastics is meant to be "artistic gymnastics", after all) in the endless tallying. Watching twelve grip-changes on the high bar isn't quite like watching release moves, is it?

I give little thought to how I spell things. Depending on which device I use - things autocorrect to either the English OR the American usage. And SORT OF on topic - I once watched a BBC4-type programme that said that the English of Shakespeare's day probably sounded most like the dreaded "Mid-Atlantic accent". NOOOOOOOOOO!

I am editing in Poot's reply to your bits NOW.
Old 6 Aug 17, 07:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
VIP Dibber

Not to be one of those tedious "Walt would be spinning in his grave!" people, BUT...

I try and think of "Carrousel Bench Walt" and "World's Fair Walt" when I think of the parks.

SO...does what TDO wants to do/build/close/change fall in with one or both of the prongs of Walt's original approach(es) to the parks?

And if the answer is "no" - then I don't want it. Walt LOVED making money - but his approach to getting it was wide-eyed, rather than cynical - and that's why it worked.

Oh, dear - is there room for two of us on the soapbox?

And my issue with the "Like" button is this:

When they are available, I think (many/most) people are more likely to try and be flip/funny/clever in the hope of getting likes - rather than give a genuine or helpful answer. And shy people feel intimidated - "what if I work up the nerve to post and no one 'likes' me?"

"Black Lamb and Grey Falcon" (in addition to being - IMHO - the best travelogue ever written) was the inspiration for Robert Kaplan's "Balkan Ghosts" - which many believe was the basis for the Clinton administration's foreign policy during the Balkan War(s) of the 1990s.

Please don't feel obligated to read either book!

Yes, I think you are right - and the scoring in skating HAS become very similar to the scoring in gymnastics. And I still go round and round about both. I totally get (and support) the desire for greater transparency in judging, but I think some of the artistry is lost (and gymnastics is meant to be "artistic gymnastics", after all) in the endless tallying. Watching twelve grip-changes on the high bar isn't quite like watching release moves, is it?

I give little thought to how I spell things. Depending on which device I use - things autocorrect to either the English OR the American usage. And SORT OF on topic - I once watched a BBC4-type programme that said that the English of Shakespeare's day probably sounded most like the dreaded "Mid-Atlantic accent". NOOOOOOOOOO!

I am editing in Poot's reply to your bits NOW.
Plenty of room on the soap-box. "Wide-eyed rather than cynical" - I like that. I wish more people understood that it's love for the original Disney way that makes us hard on current Disney, rather than any disloyalty or dislike.

I also agree about "like" buttons. I play around with humour and language in posts because I enjoy it, but if I had to consider how many 'points' it's scoring I wouldn't enjoy it at all.

I don't feel obliged to read "Black Lamb...", but at a quick glance on amazon, it does look interesting.

I can't imagine Lady Macbeth drinking kaw-fee! But it is interesting the way we assume UK = original, old and USA = new, when, some things have actually changed from the original over here. Mainly, though, I've realised it doesn't really matter as much as I used to think. It's variety rather than right or wrong; it's about allowing and exploring it all, and flowing with the change that continues to come. Oops. Soap-box again!

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 17, 07:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
VIP Dibber

EDIT: His reply follows...

Thank you for commenting on my report. It is quite UNCOMMON for ballparks to have vegetable patches - but I thought it was amazing to think that you can get baseball food grown right there.

Yes, $4 WAS reasonable for the Paul Revere Museum - but I suppose it might have gone up now. I understand why they don't allow photos - but it was still sad. I did buy some postcards there, though.

I think the reason why you may not have heard about the molasses flood before is that it has been overshadowed by BIGGER disasters. But on hot days in Boston you can STILL SMELL the Molasses in that neighbourhood. Isn't that cool? There is a good book about the flood for adults called "Dark Tide".

And HAHA - My dad was Papa Poubelle last night again when he finished my pizza! Mother didn't cook proper food because we were out all day at the Athletics. We had pretty bad seats but it was still good.

Ungrateful child!

Please thank Poot for his replies and the extra details in them. I'm still chuckling about Papa Poubelle and I'm interested to read a little more about the Molasses Flood, so I shall follow that up. It's hard to believe you can still smell the molasses; that's very cool.

Mother didn't cook proper food because we were out all day at the Athletics. We had pretty bad seats but it was still good.

Ungrateful child!

I'm very sorry he didn't get proper food. Hope the pizza tasted good anyway.

Old 6 Aug 17, 11:33 PM  
Link to this Post

Plenty of room on the soap-box. "Wide-eyed rather than cynical" - I like that. I wish more people understood that it's love for the original Disney way that makes us hard on current Disney, rather than any disloyalty or dislike.

I also agree about "like" buttons. I play around with humour and language in posts because I enjoy it, but if I had to consider how many 'points' it's scoring I wouldn't enjoy it at all.

I don't feel obliged to read "Black Lamb...", but at a quick glance on amazon, it does look interesting.

I can't imagine Lady Macbeth drinking kaw-fee! But it is interesting the way we assume UK = original, old and USA = new, when, some things have actually changed from the original over here. Mainly, though, I've realised it doesn't really matter as much as I used to think. It's variety rather than right or wrong; it's about allowing and exploring it all, and flowing with the change that continues to come. Oops. Soap-box again!
Please thank Poot for his replies and the extra details in them. I'm still chuckling about Papa Poubelle and I'm interested to read a little more about the Molasses Flood, so I shall follow that up. It's hard to believe you can still smell the molasses; that's very cool.

Mother didn't cook proper food because we were out all day at the Athletics. We had pretty bad seats but it was still good.

Ungrateful child!

I'm very sorry he didn't get proper food. Hope the pizza tasted good anyway.

Yes, I hear you - I think there are those who are perhaps a bit..."enmeshed" with Disney and who view any criticism (however constructive) as near-traitorous. Do we react this way to other corporations?

"How VERY DARE YOU criticise...AIRBUS!"

Mainly, though, I've realised it doesn't really matter as much as I used to think.

This is an interesting sentence. I knew that I was FINALLY starting to grow in wisdom when I began to find it easy to say things like "I was wrong" (and also just "I'm sorry" - rather than "I'm sorry, but..." ).

We will be in Boston later this month - I am VERY keen to see if I can smell the molasses.

And the pizza was...adequate. We live in the country (so no delivery) - it was a chilled one from Sainsbury's. I fear TF's mother would not have approved. I did toss a salad to go with it, though. So...veg.
Old 7 Aug 17, 08:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
VIP Dibber

Mainly, though, I've realised it doesn't really matter as much as I used to think.

This is an interesting sentence. I knew that I was FINALLY starting to grow in wisdom when I began to find it easy to say things like "I was wrong" (and also just "I'm sorry" - rather than "I'm sorry, but..." ).

We will be in Boston later this month - I am VERY keen to see if I can smell the molasses.
I don't know about wisdom , but I've certainly found it a relief to open up my mind and stop assuming what I think is right or true, or matters -- and stop assuming what others think is right/true or matters.

Question everything! Just because we're het up, doesn't mean we're onto something. Just because we've always "known" something doesn't mean it's worth knowing, let alone true. LOL

That's why I mentioned in one of your other threads (TF, I think) that I am actively trying to stop judging and grouping things and people. In a serious way, anyway! Sometimes it's fun!

Old 7 Aug 17, 10:17 PM  
Link to this Post

I don't know about wisdom , but I've certainly found it a relief to open up my mind and stop assuming what I think is right or true, or matters -- and stop assuming what others think is right/true or matters.

Question everything! Just because we're het up, doesn't mean we're onto something. Just because we've always "known" something doesn't mean it's worth knowing, let alone true. LOL

That's why I mentioned in one of your other threads (TF, I think) that I am actively trying to stop judging and grouping things and people. In a serious way, anyway! Sometimes it's fun!

Do you like Robert Benchley?

There Are Two Classes of People in the World; Those Who Divide People into Two Classes and Those Who Do Not.

I also think about that old saw about knowing everything at 20, but then getting dumber and dumber every year after that. And the one where the man says, "When I was 17 my father didn't know ANYTHING. But Boy - by the time I was 21 - he sure seemed to have learned a lot."

Old 8 Aug 17, 12:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
VIP Dibber

There Are Two Classes of People in the World; Those Who Divide People into Two Classes and Those Who Do Not.
I hadn't even heard of Robert Benchley, but reading that quote I like him already.

The funny thing about thinking you know everything and then realising how much you don't know, is that I think those who, potentially, know the most are the ones whose minds haven't yet been narrowed to think that way in the first place. So, basically, anyone under three!

Old 8 Aug 17, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post

I hadn't even heard of Robert Benchley, but reading that quote I like him already.

The funny thing about thinking you know everything and then realising how much you don't know, is that I think those who, potentially, know the most are the ones whose minds haven't yet been narrowed to think that way in the first place. So, basically, anyone under three!

You will DEFINITELY like Marva Collins, then.