Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 Nov 18, 06:19 PM  
Link to this Post

any uk landlords on tonight ? ? ?

Is it really as good as it seems

My brother owns 5 houses down in Kent and is making aprox £4000 profit a month out of them

He has asked me to join him, i said i wont as i dont want to risk our house my remortgaging our family home

to prove a point that it works, he wants to setup a joint venture near me, he stumps up the £55000 and i run it, 50/50 split on profits

I know he is doing well and i know he wants me to benefit in the gains, so is proving a point, no risk to me as its his money
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 18, 06:30 PM  
Link to this Post
taylaboo
Imagineer

Mobile

If its all done via a solicitor go for it. Make it legal then you have no worries.
Villa at Champions Gate -2019
Rosen Hotel May 2023
taylaboo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 18, 06:37 PM  
Link to this Post
BLDY&McGoo
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Mobile

Living in Kent I will give you my 2p worth.

The rental market here is very strong & most properties will rent very well & theres high demand all over the place

I moved out of my rented home in maidstone in the summer. I was paying £650pm As my landlord was a family friend so just wanted to cover his £500 mortgage, the cost of the boiler on finance with a tiny but extra for repairs.
If we hadnt been friends the going rate in its condition was £850-950. Was in a lovely area 12min walk into the town centre. 2 bed upper maisonette with garage and garden.

If you can get a 2 bed near any of the towns at a good price you will probably do well renting but bare in mind some tennants will trash the place and leave you with the expense or be annoying (eg friend rents out his place as he is in the army, his tennant called him from aldershot to maidstone as the bedroom light was broken & they needed it replacing asap.. it was a bulb. Very annoying and an expensive journey for him)

Id also recommend regular checks and a good deposit to keep an eye on them & secure an honest person who will always pay up on time

Ps Avoid Chatham! (ps apologies to any plesent people in Chatham, there arent many!
BLDY&McGoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 18, 06:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

I'm a landlord we've recently down sized our rental portphilo it can make you money but one bad tennant can cost you a fortune
We've had one in 20+ years but the 2properties we have left have great long term tenants
If you are not near the property it can cost a fortune in trips to check it carry out repairs etc and if not employing an agent you have to make sure someone can ta key care of issues when you go on holiday
Etc
We won't sell our current rentals unless the tennants moves out
Would we do it again not sure now as tenants seem to have more rights than the landlords at times.
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 18, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

is the 55k to buy another house in Kent ?

4k a month/ 48k per year profit... how much is rent !
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 18, 07:16 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
Would we do it again not sure now as tenants seem to have more rights than the landlords at times.
This is do true. Everyone always sympathises with the tenants but when you get Councils telling the tenants you have legally given notice to quit to stay put until you get a bailiff to evict them it feels the odds are against you!
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 18, 07:26 PM  
Link to this Post
ChoppyGirl
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We used to enjoy watching a programme about landlords and tenants and it was shocking the rights tenants have. There were so many cases where tenants paid rent for a couple of months then refused to pay and it took the landlord months and months to get them out even after court orders and many had to pay baliffs to get them out never getting their money back.

But if it is just your brother investing and there is no a risk to you then go for it. I assume the £4k profit a month is for all 5 houses?
2014 Saratoga Springs Resort
2017 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2019 Highlands Reserve/Grand Plaza/Boardwalk Villa
2023 Vero Beach/Portofino Bay/Coronado Springs Club level

2024 Wilderness Lodge/Grand Floridian
2025 Disneyland Hotel DLP
ChoppyGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 18, 07:47 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post
is the 55k to buy another house in Kent ?

4k a month/ 48k per year profit... how much is rent !
No its not, it is going to be near me, near Bath, its only going to be 25% of the cost of the house, buy to let 25% mortgage

rent is £1200 plus a month each

thanks to all for replied
Old 20 Nov 18, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by ChoppyGirl View Post

But if it is just your brother investing and there is no a risk to you then go for it. I assume the £4k profit a month is for all 5 houses?
Yes all 5
Old 20 Nov 18, 08:05 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Is the £4K profit gross or net?

I am a LL and have a few properties.

My advice would be

Only buy in an area you know
Have a good buisness plan, know who you are aiming your properties at.
Only buy with money you can afford to lose
Have a good amount of cash available for replacing boilers or other emergencies.
Ask to see your brothers accounts, people often over exaggerate their net profit
Remember that tax is payable at your nominal rate if his profit is 4K a month he will certainly be paying heigher rate tax.
You will never make £4K with an investment of £55K
Many people myself include have benefited from house price inflation, that has now gone in most areas.
Don’t forget that if you own a property you stamp duty will be 3%.
Take into account:
Mortgage payments
Insurance
Landlord Association membership
Cost of voids or non payment of rent
Cost of court action if needed (I have only done this once) but if you work it means time off to attend and time off to meet bailiffs etc.
Lock smiths if you need to change locks
I only let unfurnished if furnished then cost of replacement
Redecoration and wear and tear.
Service charges and ground rents (if rented)
Management fees if you are not available 24 hours a day 365 days a year.
You will pay capital gains on any profit when you sell!
Get a very good accountant.

This was just a brain storm so I have probably missed a lot.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List