Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 15 Nov 21, 11:08 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

The BIG 50th Vancouver Vacation Sept/Oct 2021 - Day 2 - Capilano Suspension Bridge & Grouse Mountain

Day 2 - Friday 1st October 2021

So much for me beating the jet lag, I woke up at 4.10am
I couldn’t get back to sleep so I wrote up some notes and caught up with the world on Instagram.
I had been messaging Caxton via Twitter to try and sort my card out and they had suggested I try using it in an ATM so when Jim woke up at 7.30 we chucked some clothes on and headed up the street to find a bank.

Joey's!

Sure enough it worked so I withdrew some cash, phew!

We jumped in the shower and got dressed then met Helen & Nick down in the lobby.
Today we were going to Capilano Suspension Bridge and decided to get some breakfast en-route.

I plugged the Dennys in North Vancouver into the Sat Nav and 20 mins later we arrived. It felt so good to be back in one!

I went with my usual Grand Slam breakfast with sourdough toast, a chocolate milkshake and Diet Coke. Please don’t judge, I’m on holiday
Drinks came out first and my god this was a good milkshake! I tried not to drink it all in one go.

Food soon arrived and was just as good as I remembered!
Bill came to $45 per couple.

We now made the 10 minute drive up the road to Capilano. Found somewhere to park and paid the $6 fee.

Dave

We hadn’t pre booked tickets so joined the queue. For 2 adults it was $115.40.

Once through we walked around the information areas first then popped into the gift shop as the bridge was looking quite congested. Apparently it can hold 1300 people but I was nervous enough already and would prefer it with less people walking across it!

It was actually a really good gift shop with some really nice clothing options in it. I found some really cool lumberjack pyjamas but at nearly $80 they weren’t that nice!
I did buy the obligatory magnet and postcard though.

The bridge was less busy now so we psyched ourselves up for the crossing

Holy Crap, the photos obviously don’t show just how much this bridge swings. It took ages to cross as I had to keep on stopping to compose myself

We finally made it over but I had to sit down for a while for the world to stop spinning! I suffer from motion sensitivity so this probably wasn’t my brightest idea

We now went on the treetop trail which for someone who really doesn’t like heights was my second not so bright idea of the day

The views were lovely though and if it wasn’t for Nick rocking the bridges, dare I say it enjoyable!

We now needed to make our way back across the main bridge. This direction seemed better and I even managed some photos of the views to the side!

We were in need of a drink so walked over to the food truck cafe and ordered 2 diet cokes and a portion of mini doughnuts.
We got chatting in the queue to a guy from Toronto randomly about poutine. He said we absolutely HAD to try it as it was f****** amazing, not just amazing but ******* amazing . We all thought it sounded pretty rank but Jim was intrigued about the famous Canadian delicacy so ordered himself a portion.
They looked pretty gross to me and Jim confirmed they were in fact disgusting!
We had a good laugh with the guy though

Once refuelled we went on the Cliff walk. This is a series of ledges and viewpoints precariously attached to the cliff. The worst part was this one that juts right out

Don’t look down!

We were now done so after a quick loo break, walked back to the car.
Earlier on Nick was chatting to a lady that worked in the gift shop and had mentioned a bear sanctuary at the top of Grouse Mountain so we thought we'd go and check it out. You can apparently hike up or take the gondola but at $61 each I got outvoted to walk it.
It was only a 10 minute drive from Capilano and we got parked with no issues.
We had a look at the different routes up and as the BCM trail was closed we were left with the Grouse Grind Trail.

A guy at the bottom who had just walked it said it was tough but doable.
We set off and it was steep but not too bad however after a while it was getting really quite unbearable.

This looks like the set of Jurassic Park!

I didn’t have the correct footwear on, only my trainers which have zero grip and my head was still feeling woozy from the swinging bridges so I made the executive decision to turn around and head back down.
I told the others to continue without me but Jim insisted he come back with me in case I fall or faint! Readers of my previous reports will know I usually end up damaging something on my holiday

It was really tough going on the way down but we eventually made it and sat and had a drink in Starbucks. Once I’d caught my breath and cooled down we discussed what to do whilst Helen and Nick were up the mountain. We knew they’d be gone for at least 2 hours even with getting the gondola back down so we decided to pop to Walmart as it was only a 15 minute drive away, they also had a golf store next door to it.

Beautiful changing colours of the trees

To save time Jim went into the golf shop whilst I did Walmart. Took a while to figure out where the entrance was as it was actually inside a mall.

I had come prepared with a list and managed to get most things I wanted on there and some that weren’t . Canada doesn’t always sell exactly the same items as in the US but they did have some wonderful autumn decor that I bought.

The return of the supermarket photos, you’re welcome!

It's like being back at home

$138 later I bought everything I needed

Met back up with Jim who had had a successful shop buying himself a new club cover and a few tops in the sale and we made the drive back up to meet Helen & Nick.

House goals

We quickly stopped at the Capilano River park and I hopped out to take some photos.
Just more stunning scenery

Once back at the parking lot of Grouse Mountain we only had to wait 10 mins and they soon arrived looking like they’d run a marathon!
They said that hike was the worst they had ever done and you were having to scramble up rocks towards the end so I was very glad of my decision to turn around when I did.

I was very envious they saw the Grizzly bears in the sanctuary though, they said they were huge!

It was around 5.30pm by now so we headed straight back to the hotel, traffic was quite heavy getting on the Lions Gate Bridge but the journey only took about 30 mins.

We were all quite peckish so decided to get showered and changed and to go and find somewhere for dinner.
I had down to go to LIFT Bar & Grill by the harbour but the general consensus was wanting to stay nearer the hotel and a bit of a cheaper restaurant after last nights hefty bill.
I found an Aussie/Canadian restaurant called Moose’s Down Under that seemed to fit the bill so took the 10 minute walk up there.

Hotel goals

This place looked quite cool and we got seated right away.

The menu was quite vast so took a while to decide what we wanted, in the meantime I ordered a Billabong cocktail, this was vodka, melon, orange and cranberry. The others all had Coronas.
This was really good!

For food Jim and I shared the spud spring rolls which were topped with cheese and bacon, then I had bangers and mash and Jim a burger. Helen and Nick both had shepherds pie.

The waitress was a little strange and couldn’t understand my confusion when she asked if I wanted fries or greens with my meal. Fries with bangers and MASH? I said greens thinking vegetables but no when it came out it was a bowl of salad?!
Yes it does indeed look as gross as it tasted. The spring rolls were good if not that hot though!

The other meals were just as disappointing so once finished we asked for the bill straight away. $70 per couple.

We walked back to Joey Burrards where we were last night and had a drink outside under their heated seating. I went with the raspberry vodka, lemonade and lime that I enjoyed last night.
It was only 9pm but we were all struggling to keep our eyes open so once we had our drinks we walked over the road back to the hotel. I think as soon as my head hit the pillow I was gone!

IG - alicialanesmith

Edited at 01:09 PM.
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 21, 06:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Wow - you did a lot. Denny’s looks amazing! My son is off to Vancouver for Christmas and there are 2 things he is most looking forward to- Denny’s and Tim Hortons 🤣

We loved the Capilano suspension bridges but I can understand there aren’t a good idea if you don’t like heights or motion!

I world have abandoned the hike too! A trip to Walmart is far more fun 🤣

Your dinner didn’t look that nice it has to be said! Such a shame!
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 21, 10:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney_time
Imagineer

Disney_time's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
We've got 3 days in Vancouver at beginning of February and I like the idea of Grouse Mountain. Obviously the bears will be hibernating by then, but I see there is a bistro and an evening light walk, so we'll do an afternoon and evening there. As for the suspension bridge, I couldn't do that, but we have been to Linn Canyon in North Vancouver to cross a much shorter (and free) suspension bridge. We also made a quick stop in Deep Cove which is a beautiful coastal town, used for film and TV sets. It was just as pretty as it looks on TV.

I'm following along for restaurant ideas too, but may pass on going down under to visit the moose!
Old 16 Nov 21, 04:07 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Great day again! Can I ask what time you got to the Bridge? I'm intending to get the free shuttle there as early as possible when we go, so hopefully it's not going to be crowded. The swinging scares me but I'm determined to do it - might even get myself sponsored haha! The metal grid walkways aren't thrilling me either.

Don't blame you not walking up Grouse Mountain but shame you missed out on the bears. Love the supermarket shots! Gotta love a Wallmart. We'll avoid that restaurant - the food didn't look great Looking forward to reading the rest of your days.

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 21, 09:03 PM  
Link to this Post
MarionG
Imagineer

We did a Canada trip with our best friends in 2008 and visited Vancouver as part of our trip. We did go over the suspension bridge and yes quite scary as I'm not good with heights. It certainly seems to have gone up in price a lot although I know it would be more since we went.
We also did Grouse Mountain but did the Gondola both ways. Again it cost a lot less then!
Would love to return though.
MarionG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 21, 05:26 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

This brings back fabulous memories of Vancouver , I can’t believe it has been almost 18 years since I went.
Do you still get a certificate to say you crossed the Capilano suspension bridge?
I can also confirm poutine in Toronto is better😂
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 21, 01:30 AM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
Wow - you did a lot. Denny’s looks amazing! My son is off to Vancouver for Christmas and there are 2 things he is most looking forward to- Denny’s and Tim Hortons 🤣

We loved the Capilano suspension bridges but I can understand there aren’t a good idea if you don’t like heights or motion!

I world have abandoned the hike too! A trip to Walmart is far more fun 🤣

Your dinner didn’t look that nice it has to be said! Such a shame!
I was so excited when I found out they had a Dennys in Vancouver I knew we had to go. I still can’t believe we didn’t make it into a Tim Hortons as they’re everywhere!

Haha no not a good idea at all for someone who is motion sensitive 😂. I am a glutton for punishment though and it was worth the shaky head afterwards.

A trip to Walmart is a must on every holiday, I had really missed browsing all the aisles of food and home goods 🥴

Dinner was terrible which was a shame as it started off so well and had great potential!

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 21, 01:34 AM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Disney_time View Post
We've got 3 days in Vancouver at beginning of February and I like the idea of Grouse Mountain. Obviously the bears will be hibernating by then, but I see there is a bistro and an evening light walk, so we'll do an afternoon and evening there. As for the suspension bridge, I couldn't do that, but we have been to Linn Canyon in North Vancouver to cross a much shorter (and free) suspension bridge. We also made a quick stop in Deep Cove which is a beautiful coastal town, used for film and TV sets. It was just as pretty as it looks on TV.

I'm following along for restaurant ideas too, but may pass on going down under to visit the moose!
That sounds lovely, I think it will definitely be worth visiting as the views were apparently stunning from the top and hopefully you’ll have a nice meal up there too.

Ooh I wish we’d known about Deep Cove beforehand as I love visiting places where I recognise the TV sets. I can see why so much filming is done in Vancouver and the surrounding areas as the scenery is stunning everywhere you look!

Definitely pass on visiting the Moose!

IG - alicialanesmith
Old 20 Nov 21, 01:39 AM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by anji View Post
Great day again! Can I ask what time you got to the Bridge? I'm intending to get the free shuttle there as early as possible when we go, so hopefully it's not going to be crowded. The swinging scares me but I'm determined to do it - might even get myself sponsored haha! The metal grid walkways aren't thrilling me either.

Don't blame you not walking up Grouse Mountain but shame you missed out on the bears. Love the supermarket shots! Gotta love a Wallmart. We'll avoid that restaurant - the food didn't look great Looking forward to reading the rest of your days.
Not at all, I think it was around 10.30 from what I remember so I’d definitely go first thing, it shouldn’t be as busy when it first opens. Also buy your tickets beforehand so you don’t have to queue.

I was so chuffed with myself that I managed to do the bridge and the ledges I know I would have kicked myself if I had chickened out!

It felt so good to be back in a Walmart, it had been far too long! Jim just rolls his eyes and can’t believe I get quite so excited over what is effectively an Asda 😂

IG - alicialanesmith
Old 20 Nov 21, 01:41 AM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by MarionG View Post
We did a Canada trip with our best friends in 2008 and visited Vancouver as part of our trip. We did go over the suspension bridge and yes quite scary as I'm not good with heights. It certainly seems to have gone up in price a lot although I know it would be more since we went.
We also did Grouse Mountain but did the Gondola both ways. Again it cost a lot less then!
Would love to return though.
I can imagine it was a lot less in 2008, we were quite surprised at how expensive Canada seemed but the 1.7 exchange rate certainly helped.
I do wish I had just stumped up the money and gone up the gondola as I was gutted I didn’t see the Grizzlies! I will definitely do it next time!

IG - alicialanesmith