Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 15 Aug 19, 01:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Wismgari
Imagineer

Glad you got there ok, but your poor son on the plane! I get these thoughts in my head sometimes but I now know they are just me being anxious and I should not say them out loud!

Good start with the food and the amazing view!
Wismgari is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 19, 02:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Tracy34
Imagineer

Loving your trippy..
Can't wait until you get to Key West...we love it down there and just had 8 nights stay in June..💖
Lindfields 2005, Hillcrest 2008, Sunset Ridge 2009, Windwood Bay 2011, Terrace Ridge 2013, Dallas Texas 2013, Bridgewater Crossing 2014, Terrace Ridge and Siesta Key June 2015, Siesta Key Nov 2015, Terrace Ridge June 2016, Sarasota Oct 2016, Sarasota and Siesta Key July 2017, Sarasota Oct 2017, Siesta Key June 2018, Siesta Key...Key West..Orlando Nov 2018, Siesta Key..Key West...Sarasota June 2019, Sarasota Oct 2019, Sarasota March 2020,
Tracy34 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 19, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridafour
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Loving this, what a great start. Sounds like you have a fab time ahead. 👍🙂
Thank you for posting
Floridafour is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 19, 10:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by aqualiv View Post
Haha fridge suprise! Love it, we had something similar before our holiday consisting of random stuff from the freezer
Sounds like a good trip you’ve got planed- a nice mix
Sometimes DS looks absolutely baffled when the plate goes down in front of him when it’s fridge surprise night but this wasn’t as random as it has been 😆

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 19, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
Matador Room looks absolutely delicious, I would have no self control there and just order everything!
It would be quite easy to keep ordering 😬

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 19, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Wismgari View Post
Glad you got there ok, but your poor son on the plane! I get these thoughts in my head sometimes but I now know they are just me being anxious and I should not say them out loud!

Good start with the food and the amazing view!
I probably made that sound less sympathetic than I was!
I was genuinely quite worried about DS.
It’s awful to decide someone looks dodgy though isn’t it when you think about it?
To be fair once DS had pointed him out I did think he looked a bit suspicious myself 😱

He was perhaps not a great flyer himself. He looked agitated and sweaty and maybe he’d taken something or had a few drinks to try and get through the flight?!
Poor man!
Hope he’s not reading this now 😬😆

Edited at 10:27 AM.
Old 16 Aug 19, 10:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Tracy34 View Post
Loving your trippy..
Can't wait until you get to Key West...we love it down there and just had 8 nights stay in June..💖
Ooh, any recommendation for food or any must do activities?

Old 16 Aug 19, 11:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Day 2

As you know we woke insanely early.
OH made coffee and we left DS to sleep until about 7:45.

We went up to the adults pool whilst he snapped his friends of course and got himself up.

He came and joined us at about 8:30. Seeing as the rooftop pool was deserted we thought we’d risk him joining us. He does look much older than he is and he wasn’t going to be shouting and screaming.
We didn’t see a sign up there regarding ages so we decided we could plead ignorance.

He just lay in the shade and a security guard came over pretty quickly to ask his age 😬
He was a really nice guy and allowed us to stay until other guests arrived.
That was really kind of him because he could easily have turfed us out.
I think that is a slight failing of this hotel. The downstairs pool is crazy busy and really loud from open to close. I’d not chose to sit there personally. I would find it really annoying. I believe the only other option is the adults only pool so DS falls between the 2.
The plan this morning was brunch at Yard Bird and we had planned to cycle but we were running far too late!
We sorted an Uber and made it in the nick of time.
The traffic was really heavy and it must have taken over half an hour.

We love Yard Bird 😋
We had the following
OH had some very cloudy looking pale ale, It’s apparently supposed to be though.
DS and I had some house made lemonades. Mine was regular and his peach.

Brussel sprout Caesar salad on a Garlic baguette

I chose a BLT which isn’t on bread. ( I’ll attach the menu at the end)
I’ve had this before and had really enjoyed it.
I thought the bacon was way too fatty this time but I ate around that. There were 3 of them but we forgot the picture at first!

OH chose a shrimp po boy

And DS the chicken and waffles with spiced watermelon and bourbon maple syrup.

I wasn’t interested in dessert until key lime pie was mentioned...
I love key lime pie!
The server suggested she brought that for us to share along with half a portion of the deep fried Oreo thing as DS was torn between the 2 and she could tell we wanted the pie!

The Oreo is coated in a doughnut batter I believe with Rice Krispie treats surrounding it too. Something like that!

On a side note, what’s with ‘house made whipped cream?’ Is that worth noting in a pitch? It’s not much of a task!
Can you even buy ready whipped cream?

The key lime pie was really good. I really want a key lime pie to make me screw my face up and this did. It could have been tarter still, but that’s just my preference.

DS loved the Oreo thing but I didn’t try that. He then tackled the remaining pie before we paid up and walked to Lincoln Road Mall.

The food and service were both great.

Edited at 11:20 AM.
Old 16 Aug 19, 11:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

We spent quite a while wandering in the Lincoln Road area. Then after a peach iced tea in Starbucks we headed over to the opera house and on to the botanical gardens.

*I completely forgot that we also popped into Time Out Miami which looked fantastic. Imagine Hawker House but slicker and cleaner!
We didn’t eat but had a good nose. I’d definitely be up for eating there on another trip. There was so much choice and lots of vegan options too if that helps anyone.

Back to the Botanical Gardens...
I’d really recommend making a trip there.
It’s free entry but you can make a donation.
There are some hefty lizards roaming in there.

hitch hiking terrapin

After the gardens we headed for the nearest Citi Bike station so we could head back to the hotel along the beach front.
It was feeling really hot!

We wandered through the Art Deco district on our way.
This is a great thing to do. They’re $10 for 2 hours. I should have taken a picture of the price chart but I’m afraid I forgot.

There was no chance I was riding on the road but you can get all the way from the south end to the north end without the need for that and it’s entirely flat!
You do have to leave the beach path during the wooden sections of boardwalk but you’re allowed to use the pavement at these sections.
It took us about an hour all up and we’d stopped for pictures along the way.
You can’t pick up much of a pace due to pedestrians and the rubbish gears but I didn’t particularly want a work out anyway!

We passed lots of wild cats. There are signs saying not to feed them and that they’re a monitored colony 🐈

We docked the bikes at Publix which is practically opposite our hotel, grabbed more drinks and headed back to our room which was hotter than the surface of the sun...
Got to love a room change the night before you leave 🤦🏼

Edited at 01:50 PM.
Old 16 Aug 19, 11:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Tracy34
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Vanillapod View Post
Ooh, any recommendation for food or any must do activities?
Food -
Moondog Cafe & Bakery
Banana cafe
The Waterfront Brewery
Keys Coffee
Glazed Donuts and Coffee
Flamingo Crossing ice cream
Caroline's Cafe
Blue Heaven

Activities -
Southernmost Point
Key West Lighthouse
Golf cart - Hydro Thunder ( 8 hours for $155 )
Fort Zachary and beach
Truman Waterfront Park...Coastguard ship
Higg's Beach
Mallory Square
Ernest Hemingway Home and Museum
Butterfly House

I hope these help... have a fab time..💞
Lindfields 2005, Hillcrest 2008, Sunset Ridge 2009, Windwood Bay 2011, Terrace Ridge 2013, Dallas Texas 2013, Bridgewater Crossing 2014, Terrace Ridge and Siesta Key June 2015, Siesta Key Nov 2015, Terrace Ridge June 2016, Sarasota Oct 2016, Sarasota and Siesta Key July 2017, Sarasota Oct 2017, Siesta Key June 2018, Siesta Key...Key West..Orlando Nov 2018, Siesta Key..Key West...Sarasota June 2019, Sarasota Oct 2019, Sarasota March 2020,

Edited at 11:51 AM.
Tracy34 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List