Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 5 Nov 21, 11:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Silvercat
Imagineer

This is a great thread, thank you for doing this! We LOVE cornbread, and I've just checked and cornmeal is available from Tesco, so I've added that and some other larder ingredients to my shopping order for next week so I can give this a try! (Had to order some flour, I rarely bake and when I checked my store-cupboard bag of flour it was 3 years out of date!). I bought a box of cornbread mix from Florida, but used that pretty quickly. It was nice, but very crumbly, so I'm hoping mine will be a bit better.

I'm also going to give the pumpkin cheesecake a try, for DH. He loves pumpkin spice flavoured stuff, so I'm going to leave out the caramel for the time being and give this a go. Again, Tesco have tins of pumpkin puree in stock. Instead of using the spices in the list, I'll use some of the pumpkin spice I bought the last time we were in the US, as it is made up of pretty much all the spices in the recipe.

Thanks again!
Old 5 Nov 21, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
I'm going to our Tesco later, it's a huge shop but I couldn't find pumpkin puree last year. I will scour the shelves later. I'm in the middle of boiling the pumpkin and after peeling, de-seeding and chopping it I'm beginning to feel the lure of the canned variety 😉

Also good to know they have cornmeal. I'll try and get some of that too.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 21, 11:54 AM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sheppard View Post
This is a great recipe for cornbread - use it all the time. I use polenta instead of cornmeal.

allears/walt-disney-worl...rt-wilderness/
Thank you for this!

I was also going to use a packet mix (we used the Jiffy one from Amazon last year and it was nice) but this seems super simple.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 21, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Annoyingly I couldn't find cornmeal or pumpkin puree in tesco yesterday. The only polenta I could find was cooked. So looks like I'll be ordering off amazon as I really want to try out that cornbread recipe.

Meanwhile the pumpkin pie came out lovely.

Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 21, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
sheppard
Getting Excited

I managed to get pumpkin puree from Waitrose yesterday and I also get my polenta from there.
sheppard is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 21, 11:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
Annoyingly I couldn't find cornmeal or pumpkin puree in tesco yesterday. The only polenta I could find was cooked. So looks like I'll be ordering off amazon as I really want to try out that cornbread recipe.

Meanwhile the pumpkin pie came out lovely.

That looks amazing Abby! I managed to get Polenta from M&S yesterday. Adam loves tiramisu so I decided to try this recipe for Pumpkin Spiced Latte Tiramisu. It is currently in the fridge chilling and I will let you know the verdict later. I also substituted sugar plum spiced gin for the rum.

dailytiramisu/quick-pump...tiramisu-cups/

Sparksy72 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 21, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Abby, your pumpkin pie looks just like in the pictures!

I've ordered cornmeal with my Tesco shop that's coming today so we'll see if it arrives. My pumpkin puree came from Sainsburys.

I made stuffing from scratch last year and it was awful, just tasted of stock so this year I am giving this a go:

Apparently 'If it's not Stove Top, it's not Thanksgiving' Normally I am a bit of a snob about things that come from a packet but they do seem to love that in the US.

Having had Pumpkin Cheesecake last year I think we're going to have a pecan one this year so to incorporate pumpkin into our menu still I'm going to make soup:

thesaltymarshmallow/easy-pumpkin-soup/
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 21, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sparksy72 View Post
That looks amazing Abby! I managed to get Polenta from M&S yesterday. Adam loves tiramisu so I decided to try this recipe for Pumpkin Spiced Latte Tiramisu. It is currently in the fridge chilling and I will let you know the verdict later. I also substituted sugar plum spiced gin for the rum.

dailytiramisu/quick-pump...tiramisu-cups/

This looks gorgeous! I too love tiramisu. You always have the cleverest ideas. I have been on the hunt for the spiced nuts you used in your bark last year but Morrisons didn't have them last week. Fingers crossed they appear soon!
Old 6 Nov 21, 11:59 AM  
Link to this Post
SleepingBeauty
Imagineer

Brits celebrating Thanksgiving! This is surprising. But it warms my heart, thank you.
SleepingBeauty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 21, 12:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Ooh Michelle that tiramisu looks delicious. I hope it tastes as good as it looks.