Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 14 Nov 21, 01:46 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Vegan Curry

I don't know why I do it but I have volunteered to make a vegan curry. Has anyone got a recipe please?
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 21, 01:52 PM  
Link to this Post
15isto2
Imagineer

I would suggest 2 or 3 medium sized vegans, Mayflour curry paste, onions and mushrooms to taste.
15isto2 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 21, 02:03 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Simply cook has some great ones Sue that all you’ll need to do is buy the veg/rice/bread and maybe an ingredient or two like coconut milk.

You can filter by vegan

simplycook/invite/MS3238?via=app

This will give you a free box (4 meals so you could try 2) just remember to cancel
Old 14 Nov 21, 02:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Hollyhobbit
Excited about Disney

Sweet potato ( roast it first as it holds it shape and flavour better) , chickpeas and spinach make a tasty vegan curry. I make the base from onion , cumin, coriander, garam masala , chilli powder,garlic and ginger , a can of chopped tomatoes and a can of coconut milk. Add the fresh spinach right at the end . It isn’t too spicy as we are not keen but you can add as much spice as you like.
Hollyhobbit is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 21, 02:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Sue, there is a fantastic Roman Josh recipe on Pinch of Nom. They used lamb but I substituted it with butternut squash, sweet potato and cauliflower
pinchofnom/recipes/lamb-rogan-josh/
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 21, 05:53 PM  
Link to this Post
sharonb
Imagineer

This is our favourite vegan curry recipe it’s also really easy and quick and tastes delicious

itdoesnttastelikechicken...r-cauliflower/

Sharon
May 2004 villa in Kissimmee
April 2005 villa in Kissimmee
May 2006 HRH, Hilton Grand Vacation I Drive, Villa on Rolling Hills
Christmas 2006, Fairfield Inn, LBV
Christmas 2007, Springhill Suites LBV, Hard Rock Hotel, POFQ
July/Aug 2008 5 weeks CSR, HGVC Seaworld, HRH

Future Trips: Orlando Aug 09
Orlando Christmas 09 with Mum and Dad
sharonb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 21, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

ok, vegan you say? the one i made last week could have easily been made vegan, the only real non-vegan things that got used (and could easily be substituted out) were chunks of paneer, and creme fraiche at the end

so i started by making a big panful of base sauce. a huge onion, half a cabbage, a couple of sweet peppers and some diced carrot with a load of minced garlic and a bit of turmeric. its basically a variant of the curry guy's base, but using up what i had to hand...

greatcurryrecipes/2011/0...curry-recipes/

sweat it all down in olive oil rather than ghee.

toast the spices and bloom in a big of olive oil, if you use whole seeds, you could grind them before, leave them whole, or put the paste in a blender when youre done. i left them whole this time...

add some spice paste to your base veg, then get the stick blender out and puree it. you can turn it into a full on sauce (add some stock/water/chopped tomato to loosen it up), but personally i like it to still have a bit of texture...

from this:

to this:

i then filled two large tubs of the roughy pureed sauce to go in the freezer for other curries at some point, leaving one tubs worth of base left in the pan.

use some of your spice paste straight onto the veg/paneer/etc that you plan on throwing in at the end. i used paneer, sauteed mushrooms, a courgette and some chickpeas. once this is prepped, it can just be thrown back into the main pot 10 minutes before the end of making the sauce, otherwise itll go mushy

i also roasted some cauliflower in the spice paste, again, this gets chucked in at the last moment, so can be made in advance...

finally, the main curry sauce... that can be whatever you want, check the curry guy site for all the types of curry you can make using the base. this one uses chopped tomato, fresh tomato, chickpeas, lentils, and creme fraiche (which is added right at the end)

combine it all (i left the cauliflower on the side, as one friend wasnt a fan) and serve with rice and sides

ive deliberately left the spices used out of it all, but in this case it was turmeric, garam masala, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, paprika and some chilli flakes. i deliberately didnt make it very spicy, as one friend is a spice wuss. i have a bottle of chilli extract i use to add heat at the end... for me i just add 3-5 drops of the extract into my bowl and mix it into the sauce

we had this for two meals, the first one, we had samosas and garlic naan breads, but i forgot to get a photo of that (more elaborate) setup on the table...

HTH

Edited at 10:19 AM.
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 21, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Thank you all so much, I shall read through them and decide. If my niece stays vegan I may be back for more advice.
I think when I volunteered I was thinking vegetarian not vegan!
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 21, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
Thank you all so much, I shall read through them and decide. If my niece stays vegan I may be back for more advice.
I think when I volunteered I was thinking vegetarian not vegan!
it really isnt that much of a difference, you just need to be aware of what isnt vegan... basically anything with dairy in (milk, cream, butter, etc) and honey. just replace with olive oil, coconut milk and sugar/agave. once youve done it a few times, it'll become second nature knowing what you can/cant add, and what replacements work well...

recipe-wise, you could do a lot worse than the curry guy veggie book. again, just check your ingredient list for non-vegan friendly stuff

amazon/Curry-Guy-V...f_=as_li_ss_tl

Edited at 10:26 AM.
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 21, 12:20 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Did not realize Honey was non vegan!