Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 22 Nov 17, 10:30 PM  
Link to this Post
DFCH-Andy
DIBB Advertiser
- DIBB Advertiser -

I'm sure the staff can spot ball you from a mile away Chris. Don't think they would dare!

It almost upsets me when they don't try pulling a fast one on me. After a long flight and no sleep I count on the desk clerks to help me de-stress. They'll only get told politely once.. anything more and they're fair game.

www.discountfloridacarhire.co.uk
DFCH-Andy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 17, 11:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Monko
Having Dinner with Goofy

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Not having a go at you but if you went through a toll their fees are very clear. It will be a $19.75 admin fee plus the toll. You can't blame them for that.
What did your exit contract say as you left the garage ref fuel?
Did you challenge the garage Guys ref the fuel when you dropped the car off?
Hi Tom.

Agree with you - there was pricing info in the car when we picked it up regarding tolls. I was more annoyed at the SatNav (bought purposely with USA updated maps) for sending us through them. Honestly though, it really was less than half a mile before we came off (ironically to top the fuel up!)

I'll have to check the exit contract again, but can't see anything regarding pre-paid fuel - or otherwise. I know it's no excuse, but it was a late pickup after a missed connection then a late departing connecting flight - we'd been awake about 26hours at the time of pick-up).

We dropped the car off and had no contact with anyone other than a lady who said we're good to go as long as we'd left our keys in the car - we just drove into the AVIS drop-off bays and that was it. I thought as we'd returned with a full tank this would be noted (as per the AVIS website) and no charge made to us.

Edited at 11:04 PM.
Monko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 17, 11:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by Monko View Post
Hi Tom.

Agree with you - there was pricing info in the car when we picked it up regarding tolls. I was more annoyed at the SatNav (bought purposely with USA updated maps) for sending us through them. Honestly though, it really was less than half a mile before we came off (ironically to top the fuel up!)

I'll have to check the exit contract again, but can't see anything regarding pre-paid fuel - or otherwise. I know it's no excuse, but it was a late pickup after a missed connection then a late departing connecting flight - we'd been awake about 26hours at the time of pick-up).

We dropped the car off and had no contact with anyone other than a lady who said we're good to go as long as we'd left our keys in the car - we just drove into the AVIS drop-off bays and that was it. I thought as we'd returned with a full tank this would be noted (as per the AVIS website) and no charge made to us.
I suspect you hadn't pre paid to bring back empty otherwise you wouldn't have filled up before dropping it off.
Sadly you then became hostage to their sharp tricks. Any slight hint of not being full and they will be all over you like a rash.
I would challenge them but don't hold your breath.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 17, 11:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Monko
Having Dinner with Goofy

Originally Posted by DFCH-Andy View Post
If you head to the Avis website you can retrieve your receipt. Does it mention the fuel service option on there.. If it quotes $9.99 a gallon it means they've had to refuel the vehicle (allegedly). If it quotes a much lower rate of circa $3, then the prepaid fuel was added on at the start. You will have signed the screen agreeing to the prepaid fuel charge so could have returned the vehicle back empty. Worth questioning them on it. When it happens with Alamo they've always been happy to refund... Budget/Avis is another story though.
Will check it all out and get back to you thanks Andy.
Old 22 Nov 17, 11:19 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DFCH-Andy View Post
I'm sure the staff can spot ball you from a mile away Chris. Don't think they would dare!

It almost upsets me when they don't try pulling a fast one on me. After a long flight and no sleep I count on the desk clerks to help me de-stress. They'll only get told politely once.. anything more and they're fair game.
Sigh... oh, a gadgey after my own heart, I think I love you, will you marry me?

Hubs won't come to the desk with me, I'm bitchy... yeah, because they beg for it and it's free entertainment for me! Just off a 9 hour flight, tired, want my motor and to be on my way. I don't want slaver, a pack of company trained commision lies - you'll need breakdown cover, no I won't, motor knacks, it's yours, come get it and bring me another whilst you're at it. You haven't got enough insurance... listen, do you hear that click, you just pushed my BB [bitch button], game on. I allowed it to happen a few times until my British resolve and good manners were left in the plane netty and they became fair game.
Old 22 Nov 17, 11:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Bobbins
Imagineer

Bobbins's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Plus I get a receipt at each and every toll booth.
I thought the tolls were very random this year. We seemed to go through a number of unmanned ones so no receipt option.

One of them didn't tell us how much to pay - I guess we missed the sign and the screen just told us how much we'd paid. The basket had quite a lot of dollar bills just sitting there, which is a bit optimistic on the part of drivers!
Bobbins is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 17, 11:27 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Monko View Post
I've read this a few times with Avis now Monko, and therein is one of the biggest issues, you have zero knowledge of what they're tapping into their hand held console because you aren't there to acknowledge/take the receipt - it's open season and they'll slap you with every extra they can for their commission and extra wonga for the company, and with no 'sign off' sheet from the garage it really is your word against what the checker claims they saw re fuel level.

Andy, have you heard if this lark of not checking Avis motors in is new, or is it simply another way of screwing the hirer, knowing that by the time they find out they're back home and, in the main, won't do anything about any borderline fraudulent charges?
Old 22 Nov 17, 11:44 PM  
Link to this Post
theriler
Getting Excited

Slightly concerned to see a pending charge on my credit card for £68.95 from the day before we returned the car. As its pending it doesnt say who the merchant is by name. All receipts said $0 to pay on return of the vehicle so im quite confirdent its linked to a restautant bill rather than AVIS trying to be clever again. Surely £68.95 would be too high for them to charge for an empty tank? (It was returned full anyway, but I know what theyre like)
theriler is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 17, 12:12 AM  
Link to this Post
hornetgirl
Imagineer

This is what we were given at the exit booth when we said we wanted to prepay the fuel.

After my battle with the woman in the Avis office, we ended up being charged $37.76.
Old 23 Nov 17, 12:31 AM  
Link to this Post
DFCH-Andy
DIBB Advertiser
- DIBB Advertiser -

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Andy, have you heard if this lark of not checking Avis motors in is new, or is it simply another way of screwing the hirer, knowing that by the time they find out they're back home and, in the main, won't do anything about any borderline fraudulent charges?
I've not had any reports of customers not getting the end of rental receipts. I doubt the person checking in the vehicle would get any type of kick back on entering the wrong info so don't see why they wouldn't hand the receipt over (unless they see a charge and don't want the hassle from the customer, but as they can't do anything about it anyway they'd just tell the customer to go to the desk). As a matter of routine I always photograph the vehicle dashboard showing fuel & mileage.

Avis's sister company, Budget are causing a few issue of late with the desk clerks adding on emergency sickness cover & Personal accident and effects insurance without telling the customer. They rely on customers not reading the screen and just signing it and unfortunately, through tiredness or habit, people are just signing a contract agreeing to these charges. I make this clear on the voucher and in the email as well as link to a example rental agreement showing no charges, example rental agreement showing additional charges and a photograph of the screen they sign but unfortunately it still happens.

www.discountfloridacarhire.co.uk
DFCH-Andy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List