Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 11 May 18, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post
RealLifeMermaid
Proud to wear my Ears

Yes, this happened two weeks ago for us. The person in the wheelchair in our party really struggled with the second search due to becoming very stressed and also having been in the elevator several times before as recently as September and not being forwarned about the change this time. The change in routine was all a bit too confusing and hard for her to cope with (she’s very recently had a second stroke affecting her thinking skills and personality as well as mobility).

It would have been fine if I’d been allowed to accompany her and keep her calm but I wasn’t and by the time we were reunited (after three monorails had come and went) she was in a terrible state. No one had explained anything to her and in her confusion she thought that she was being taken away from us when she was put in the room and searched and taken out of her chair and scanned etc. I think she thought she was being detained by customs and she was all worried that she didn’t have her passport and basically very muddled up and vulnerable. She didn’t realise everyone was in the same position, she just knew it was all different from in the past and was insecure being around complete strangers. She’s very reliant upon me in day to day life.

Our assistance guy helped us up the escalator with cases so we wouldn’t have to do 2nd bag drop which was great.
RealLifeMermaid is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 18, 10:04 PM  
Link to this Post
RealLifeMermaid
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by TangleyTom View Post
We don't want to do 2nd bag drop. Would we be able to leave our special assistance wheelchairs at the bottom of the escalators? Not had to use special assistance before.
If you need special assistance wheelchairs to get from the plane and through customs then how on earth would you cope on an escalator with suitcases and get through the long walk through the airport without a chair?

It would definitely be frowned upon if you just hop out of your chair and make your way up the escalator with your luggage and airport staff/other passengers might question why you requested special assistance in the first place.

The person in my party who needs a wheelchair isn’t full time wheelchair bound and does need to walk daily and use her legs frequently for short distances but we know in the airport that most people wouldn’t understand that and might think she was feigning illness to get the perks of SA so, whilst at the airport, she remains in the chair the entire time unless her leg goes into spasm. Selfishly, as her (unofficial) carer, her being in the chair is also just easier for me as I don’t have to worry about her mobility issues or the risk of falling or collapsing whilst I’m also having to cope with luggage/negotiating a busy airport.

If you just travel with cabin baggage you can slide a small case under the wheelchair, have the assistance person hook it onto the handle or carry it on your knees to avoid the second bag drop. For large cases you would have to use the second bag drop unless you had a family member who could take them up the escalator for you. That being said, some Assistance people are very skilled at managing both a wheelchair and a large suitcase, but I wouldn’t bank upon not having to do the second bag drop.

Edited at 10:10 PM.
RealLifeMermaid is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 18, 11:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Amy1989
Imagineer

Mobile

Anyone done this recently any update?
Amy1989 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List