Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 25 Jun 18, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotty
Imagineer

DS self referred for ADHD assessment

Bit shocked really, DS is 21 and at uni. He has struggled a bit, well quite a lot really with one subject even though he excelled at school.
In P5 he was observed in school by the Ed Psych who decided there was no issue although we always thought he showed signs of autism. He and his brother are both dyspraxic.
Turns out one of his friends suggested he got checked out and he has been discussing it with the student services and the GP there. Now he is home for the summer he has asked for a referral. All without saying anything to us.
I think it's that that I'm more upset about than anything else.

Don't know why I'm writing this here really, I don't tend to talk about stuff like this.
Old 25 Jun 18, 05:34 PM  
Link to this Post
jo williams
Very Serious Dibber

I would actually say good for him what a brave young man he’s taking control of his own situation there are not many 21 year olds that do that. I’m sure he will ask and need your support when he’s ready. I would be very proud.
jo williams is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 18, 05:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Vinniecat
Imagineer

I would also say well done to your son and also to you. It sounds like you have brought up a determined young man. Of course you don't want him to have any problems but if he does and can get a diagnosis then you can get help on how to deal with it.
Vinniecat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 18, 05:47 PM  
Link to this Post
pad406
VIP Dibber

pad406's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Would also agree. It takes a certain type (the good type) to recognize that they have or potentially have something that needs investigation and he's gone and done it. Clap on the back

As to not telling you, perhaps he didn't want you to worry unduly until he found out more

Christmas 2018/New Year 2019 (19N) BC - RPR - BC
Christmas 2016/New Year 2017 (18N). SF, LA, Disneyland & SD
Christmas 2014/New Year 2015 (21N). BWI, Hard Rock, Beach Club
April 2012 (21N). New York, Beach Club
Christmas 2010/New Year 2011 (15N). Polynesian & AKL
pad406 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 18, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotty
Imagineer

Aww thanks, Determined he certainly is and yes, he said he didn't want to worry us. I discussed with him about the Ed Psych going to the school and he had no recollection so it's as well I said as he can now pass that on.
He doesn't want me to go into the doctor with him but says I can wait outside if I like.