Link to this Post
floridafan101
Very Serious Dibber

floridafan101's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Boston to Miami the long way! Travel Day 1

Loooooong Day
All straightforward today. DHs alarm went off at 12.30 about an hour after I went to bed. Everybody up and about with a minimum of fuss although eldest son tried his best to wind up his dad with last minute additions to the carefully weighed luggage. But it was eventually all stowed away and we set off on time about 1.30.
Quiet journey over despite a momentary alarm when a section of the M62 was closed but the minor detour was fine and we arrive at 3 as planned. We used Meet n Greet at the airport although Manchester airport have now introduced a drop off charge of £4 which was annoying. Our man was waiting for us and after a thorough inspection was off in our car hopefully we will see it again in 3 weeks 😁.
As we had 3 hrs in Amsterdam we had decided not to eat at Manchester as usual which was good as we had an hour waiting to check in! But that was fine. I was inevitably searched in the scanner not sure why but they always seem to pick on me? Bags were also searched as I’d forgotten to declare my straighteners and left some Impulse much to DHs disgust.
Then it was off to Costa for coffee fix as no time this morning before leaving home. Two youngest had a hot choc with cream n marshmallows grand total £7.55. No other purchases were made. Checked out Duty Free but wasn’t inspired by anything will have a look in Schiphol.
Finally on to the plane!

So we took off at 6.25 half an hour late due to late arrivals. A large family got on and dear me what a palaver getting everyone seated with the 6 of them dotted all over the plane. The upshot of not checking in early!
Within 20 minutes we were served with a drink tea or coffee or soft drink and a rather cute egg sandwich,water and a biscuit in a box.

All very nice and tasty even the tea was ok. Well done KLM. Great journey and we landed only a little late.
Strange thing at Amsterdam was having to go through another Delta security check at D1 gate before being told which gate we were at. It was fine just checked details and asked questions about what we were doing in the US where we were going etc.
Boys wanted McDonald’s for lunch 2 Happy Meals, Quarter Pounder meal Fillet o Fish sandwich for me and DHs burger was €36.

Mooch round the shops and as there was a slight delay I treated myself to a go in one of those massage chairs you see for €2. Oh my god how good was that! 5 minutes of heaven and I felt properly worked over 😂. Couldn’t see anything I wanted to buy. Was tempted by an Amsterdam Starbucks mug but resisted and currently regretting it 🙄.
We set of about 30 mins late which is not good news hopefully we’ll make some of it back.
Also our seats were changed from a set of 3 and a 2 to a 2/2/1. Different plane I guess so eldest is on his own (he’s 18)but he sat across the aisle from me and was fine.
Came round with a hot towel, earphones, eye mask, then drinks (g n t) then lunch.
So lunch was a choice of;
Pasta
Or
Salad (run out already)
Or
Chicken risotto which I had and was pretty good
Salad with balsamic
Bread and cheese didn’t bother
Lemon cheesecake- tasty

I had a very large red wine
Followed by a coffee and a Baileys
Needed a nap after that. 😁😂
Watched Games Night with Rachel McAdams and Jason Bateman very funny and really enjoyed that. Listened to Hamilton (I’m a big fan) on iPod and dozed after that happy days.
We made good time and landed about 12.40 25 mins early.
We were through immigration straight away, no queue and despite the usual grim interrogation he voukdnt find anything to cause us to be barred and had to (reluctantly) let us in to the USA! 😎😂
Bags all arrived ok and we were on the shuttle and off to the car rental place by 1.45 and after being given our huge 7 seater SUV (Chevy Tahoe) in white, the boys were in heaven 😍😍😍 we were on the road by 2.30.
The drive to New York was fine, all a little tired and the youngest slept for an hour. We got to Brooklyn for about 7 as we sadly hit some bad traffic. DH was panicking about driving in NYC but it was quite straightforward and we didn’t have any difficulties finding the hotel.
TBC

2006 1st trip to Florida 2008 The return 2009 Its Florida again 2010 Florida again! 2011 Yes! Florida 2013 Florida please! 2015 Back to Florida 2016 California! 2017 New York (and beyond) 2018 East Coast Road Trip 2019 Florida one last time ... again!

Edited at 02:59 AM.
floridafan101 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 18, 09:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Libby
Imagineer

Bon voyage!
Libby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 18, 07:52 PM  
Link to this Post
disney owl
Imagineer

disney owl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
great start, a looong day for you all
June 2001, August 2003,2007 &Sept 2010 - WDW Offsite
June 2005 - DLP Davy Crockett Ranch
disney owl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 18, 08:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
You're off! I hope you have a lovely trip.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 18, 07:12 AM  
Link to this Post
yellowrose78
VIP Dibber

yellowrose78's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Great start, looking forward to this

Movieland Hotel IDrive - 2002 / POR - 2012 / 3 Weeks at OKW - 2014 / Villa at Highlands Reserve - 2016 / New York and Orlando - 2018 / Caribbean Cruise MSC Seaside - June 2019 / Orlando Covid cancelled 2020 and 2021 / Planning for Orlando 2024
yellowrose78 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List