Link to this Post
floridafan101
Very Serious Dibber

floridafan101's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
From Boston to Miami the long way! Day 4

27th July Friday NYC to Washington DC

Well the plan today was to set off at 8 to get to Delaware mall at about 10.30 for some retail therapy. Well due to general faffing about and people not getting moving, DH losing his driving licence or mislaying anyway that didn’t happen.

Finally set off about 9 and then hit traffic big time and had sat nav issues so shopping went out the window and we decided to head straight through to Washington.
We eventually hit Washington about 3. Got checked in to the Holiday Inn Rosslyn Bridge in Arlington and headed straight into Washington on the subway.

We had kept our metro cards from last year as they cost $2 each saved a few dollars loaded them with more money and went straight to the monuments as eldest was keen to see them.
The weather was very hot and sunny but humid too. I could feel the sweat trickling down my back. It’s been around 90’ today but close with it.
We got off at the Smithsonian and headed up to the Washington Monument which was sadly closed off for ongoing work to install lifts. Grabbed an ice cream to walk with which was more icy than creamy but quite refreshing in the heat. This was mentioned last year but work hasn’t begun outside then.

From there we walked to the WW2 Monument where we sat and had a welcome paddle in the pools. How lovely was this not often you are given permission to cool your feet in a national monument!

Was glad I’d worn my flip flops although I wouldnt be later!

We walked up the side of the water to the Korean memorial which is one of my favourites. So impressive and haunting.

Then it was off to visit Abraham Lincoln in the most classic of the sites to visit. Eldest was very taken with this.

Then we finished with the Vietnam wall as ever the sheer volume of names takes your breath away.

There was a little memorial left to one of the soldiers who’d died before his 20th birthday. I presumed it had been his family who had visited and left a photograph and a note about him - never forgotten.

We left the mall here and headed to the White House for the obligatory photos

at which point it started to rain and we made a dash for the subway.
This was where the flip flops let me down. We hurried across the road and as I hit the other side my feet went straight out from under me. And I went down! I lay there sprawled for a minute stunned before hands were helping me up and people were asking if I was ok. So kind and I was really grateful as my family had walked on ahead and hadn’t seen what happened. A guy said as he made sure I was fine that the sidewalks are notorious for being slippy when wet.
DH hurried back to me when he saw me being surrounded by people and helped me sit down for a minute before I limped on with him holding me up to make sure I didn’t slip again.
This put a bit of a dampener on things and we decided to head back to the hotel with snacks for tea and head to the pool.
So with that in mind it was a quick visit to the local Target and back to our room then pool for 2 hrs! It was packed so I didn’t go in just sat and read and tried to get the reports typed up.
Still no sign of the driving license. Which is worrying as we need to have it for the change of cars in Orlando!
Steps today 14,601

Edited at 01:58 AM.
floridafan101 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 18, 07:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Oh dear I hope you didn't get too hurt from your fall. The memorials in Washington all sound very moving and as you said isn't it lovely that you could put your feet in the water.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jul 18, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
disney owl
Imagineer

disney owl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
hope you are ok after your fall
June 2001, August 2003,2007 &Sept 2010 - WDW Offsite
June 2005 - DLP Davy Crockett Ranch
disney owl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 18, 07:24 AM  
Link to this Post
yellowrose78
VIP Dibber

yellowrose78's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Not good about your fall, I hope you're ok! Some great pictures

Movieland Hotel IDrive - 2002 / POR - 2012 / 3 Weeks at OKW - 2014 / Villa at Highlands Reserve - 2016 / New York and Orlando - 2018 / Caribbean Cruise MSC Seaside - June 2019 / Orlando Covid cancelled 2020 and 2021 / Planning for Orlando 2024
yellowrose78 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List