Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 6 Aug 18, 09:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Myakka17
VIP Dibber

Algarve

We're here at the moment staying in Vale do Lobo in a villa which is lovely BUT I feel we have made a huge mistake staying in this area... there is nothing within walking distance and I am bored bored bored beyond belief. We have had days out which have been fab. It's the evenings I'd love somewhere where we could just walk out if the door and be in an area with shops, bars restaurants.
I feel that staying here is too much like hard work as you have to drive everywhere!
I'm feeling guilty as I chose here and would love to make amends with another holiday.
Can you recommend villa or apartment style hotel that's close to a town or in the Villamoura area. ( visiting there tonight ... looking forward to it)
Thanks
Old 6 Aug 18, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Myakka17 View Post
We're here at the moment staying in Vale do Lobo in a villa which is lovely BUT I feel we have made a huge mistake staying in this area... there is nothing within walking distance and I am bored bored bored beyond belief. We have had days out which have been fab. It's the evenings I'd love somewhere where we could just walk out if the door and be in an area with shops, bars restaurants.
I feel that staying here is too much like hard work as you have to drive everywhere!
I'm feeling guilty as I chose here and would love to make amends with another holiday.
Can you recommend villa or apartment style hotel that's close to a town or in the Villamoura area. ( visiting there tonight ... looking forward to it)
Thanks
We stayed near Carvoeiro in the Rocha brava complex (though we didnt have a villa with a pool, we used the complex pools) though I think it can be quite pricy. The complex has a couple of restaurants and bars or it does a free shuttle couple of times a day into carvoeiro town. We used to get a taxi though for about 8 euros each way or just back. There was one little cove/beach we could walk to but quite a few steps down to it. We like Carvoeiro , nice little town with a small beach .
Old 6 Aug 18, 06:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridafan
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 53
What about a trip to the Strip in Albufeira? We usually go for quiet but three years ago we went as a group of 12 - all ages - and had a villa just metres from the Strip itself. It was lively and busy and a lot of fun for the younger ones. Albufeira old town also is not a bad evening destination. It sure how much a taxi will cost you though.
Old 6 Aug 18, 09:09 PM  
Link to this Post
G54321
Excited about Disney

Had a few days with group of girl friends at The Old Village, Vilamoura in April. Booked through Village Lettings and they have a selection of apartments and villas available. Location is superb, walking distance to the marina which was a great bonus. There are a few on site restaurants that were great plus a small supermarket. I’ve previously stayed with husband and kids in a villa on Vila Sol but like you are saying we had to drive everywhere and it was a bit of a pain in the evenings.
As an aside, we went for Sunday lunch at Julia’s beach bar at almancil which is a short drive from vale de lobo and it was great, they had live music and a lively atmosphere.
G54321 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 18, 10:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Myakka17
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by G54321 View Post
Had a few days with group of girl friends at The Old Village, Vilamoura in April. Booked through Village Lettings and they have a selection of apartments and villas available. Location is superb, walking distance to the marina which was a great bonus. There are a few on site restaurants that were great plus a small supermarket. I’ve previously stayed with husband and kids in a villa on Vila Sol but like you are saying we had to drive everywhere and it was a bit of a pain in the evenings.
As an aside, we went for Sunday lunch at Julia’s beach bar at almancil which is a short drive from vale de lobo and it was great, they had live music and a lively atmosphere.
Julia's is walking distance from us we gave been there for drinks and one if the others for a meal. We tried to go to the supermarket at quinto but it was so busy we couldn't get parked despite driving round 3 times. It's a pain, I absolutely hate this location and am kicking myself for not doing any research into it.
Old 6 Aug 18, 10:42 PM  
Link to this Post
G54321
Excited about Disney

That a real shame, holidays are too expensive to be disappointed. I would def recommend the Old Village as a great location.
G54321 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 18, 11:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

It is such a shame that you are not enjoying your holiday. Portugal is my favourite seaside holiday destination ! We love Lagos and Burgau. They are older towns. Lagos is busy with street entertainment and lots of restaurants. Burgau is a sleepy fishing village with a few restaurants.
If you are still there next week the Silves Medieval festival starts at the weekend. The whole village joins in with Medieval street entertainment, jousting, acrobatic shows etc all the locals are dressed up. It probably is a bit of a car journey but it is such a good night out.
You are probably right about always needing the car but we don’t mind that.

Hope your holiday picks up for you !
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 18, 08:41 AM  
Link to this Post
soraia
Very Serious Dibber

Shame - Vale do Lobo is a lovely area but is definitely somewhere you need a car as it's like an upscale residential area so it was never going to be "in the action".
Sorry you're not having a good time
In terms of going somewhere more lively, as you mentioned Vilamoura would be your best bet with plenty of bars, restaurants, marina etc. The Old Village area is nice but is still a good 15 minute walk down to the marina. There are actually plenty of villas located closer to the marina, and plenty of hotels in a great location as well.
Plenty of other areas with a bit "more going on" like Albufeira, Portimao, Lagos, Carvoeiro, Tavira, Alvor. Just depends what you're after really.
I hope you enjoy the rest of your time away!
soraia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 18, 12:44 PM  
Link to this Post
jemima2
Imagineer

Mobile

I had this exact quandary when looking at hols for next summer...looked at villas etc and lovely spots in Algarve. In the end I booked a self catering week in alcudia . Seems a lot to do and was good price! Hope you enjoy the rest of your holiday x
jemima2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List