Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 30 Jul 18, 11:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Leia Organa
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Lisatink View Post
I called the travel agent today to get a quote for Canada. Vancouver Island, Banff, Jasper, finishing in Calgary.
Just saying the names of the places sound lovely!
We did a Western Canada trip when the children were 9 and 5. It is an amazing place to visit. There were, however, some long drives involved.
Leia Organa is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 18, 11:21 PM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

We spent Easter 2017 in Texas and loved it. Can't remember if I did a brief highs and lows on here.

ETA - found the highs and lows post, and also another post of itinery

We had a blast

Highs were tubing on the Comal and Guadalupe - real 'lazy rivers' where you rent a tube, get dropped off then picked up a couple of hours downstream.

Six Flags Parks - preferred San Antonio to Dallas, but plenty of huge coasters and rides to keep the kids happy for a couple of days.

Natural Bridge Wildlife Ranch where instead of the UK windows closed safari park, they actually give you bags of food to feed the animals - feeding the zebra and watching the wilderbeest stampede was brilliant.

San Antonio - we visited the Alamo and Buckhorn Museum/Attraction. It kind of reminded me of York with people visiting for the history and paying too much for parking, food and souvenirs.

Texas Rangers ball game at Arlington. It was an experience and we learned a lot about baseball.

Stockyards and Rodeo at Fort Worth - informative and fun.

The food - loads of Mexican food, really cheap and tasty, and we always like a seafood buffet.

Lows were the smallest boy getting an tummy upset on the 6 hour drive from Corpus Christi to Fort Worth - it added about another hour and a half with all of the 'restroom' stops.

Alamo car hire. Worst car experience that we've had in 10 trips to the USA. Did the straight to the garage thing - took 2 hours to sort the paperwork at home due to website issues, then got turned back to the desk at the exit with further problems. Have used Budget, Avis, Dollar and Enterprise in the past with no issues.

This is the second c&p post

We flew into Dallas, went to Six Parks, JFK Museum, and an aircraft museum somewhere.

Drove from Dallas to San Antonio via the Dr Pepper Museum and a massive Bucee's gas station with 120 pumps!

Visited The Alamo (and still don't understand what the fuss is about - shhhh!) and The Buckthorn restaurant/museum thing - google it! Went to Six Flags, and tubing on the Comal (Rockin R Rides or something similar), and the Natural Cavern Wildlife Ranch.

Then down to Corpus Christi, the beach, the USS Lexington, and chill for a day or two.

Back up to Fort Worth stopping at New Braunfels to tube the Guadalope which was bigger and scarier.

Watched a ball game at Arlington, went to the Rodeo at the Stockyards enjoyed the last days of warm.

Edited at 11:25 PM.
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 18, 02:14 AM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

How old are your kids? Ours were 14 and 11 when we did our first US road trip and they coped fine. We tried to mix it up between 1 night stays and longer stays and didn’t drive longer than around 3 hours a day and it was great. We’ve done road trips in California, Texas, the Rockies (Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Rocky Mountain, Utah), Tennessee and are currently in New England.
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 18, 03:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Myakka17
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by mrsmickey View Post
My lb is desperate to go to California just to ride the incredicoaster. He’s not tall enough! I would definitely suggest California. You don’t have to travel around loads - Anaheim, universal, movie studios, all in reasonable reach. You could add on napa valley or San Diego or Vegas - you don’t have to do them all. Vegas takes about 4 hours, but I wouldn’t want to go there with kids - each to their own but it’s like a giant adults playground that’s much better when you hit 21
Obviously OP you haven't mentioned the ages of your children but I have to disagree with this re LV we were there last year with our aged 17/15 and they loved it there. There is loads to do in LV with children inc a day out to Hoover Dam an hours drive away.
All I spam saying is don't rule LV out.
Old 5 Aug 18, 03:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Myakka17
VIP Dibber

RE California I don't think you should rule it out But I think you need to research what you want to see, what is achievable and how long you plan to be there for.
It's a vast state, as stated previously mine were 17/15 and were able to cope with the travelling BUT we only had 2 one night stops.
Our route over a month was.
Fly to LA drive out of LA north to be in a better position for onward journey.
Staying at Paso dobles ( to visit Pismo , hated it and Morro bay)
Monterey, SF , Yosemite, Death Valley, LV before returning to LA.
La is like one massive car park, research what you actually want to do as you may require 2 seperate locations.

Virginia
As a child on a school trip we stayed just outside Richmond but visited Washington, Williamsburg inc Busch Gardens and Virginia beach would love to visit again as an adult.
Old 5 Aug 18, 09:09 AM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

We did 8 days in San Diego last year and still didn't manage to see and do everything. It's a beautiful city, tons to do and the people are lovely and so friendly. Our kids loved it and can't wait to go back.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 18, 08:42 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

We are flying into Boston as I got mega cheap reward flights with Virgin back in their January sale.
two days later we fly to Phoenix and then up to the Grand Canyon for a few days, driving back to Scottsdale Arizona for 5 days then flying back to Boston again, travelling around up there and a quick trip to the Outlets in New Hampshire for tax free shopping.

I follow Melbatb and her trip reports on here they have done a lot of Canada and have just done ( or are still in the process of doing New England ,which has given me more ideas)
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 18, 08:55 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Lisatink View Post
Hi Dibbers, I know that you are a font of knowledge when it comes to the USA so who better to ask.
We are currently looking forward to our next once in a lifetime holiday next month. DH is now looking to book our holiday for 2019😁 Yes before we have had the 2018 one!
We have now done Disney four times and will be visiting again in a couple of weeks, we have done Universal, Discovery Cove and Busch Gardens plus all of the rest. Last year we had a week on AMI and we have visited Clearwater a few times.
Next year I don't want to do the parks.
I have tried to look into road trips including California, Yosemite, Hollywood, Vegas ECT... but not sure if the kids could cope with so much driving where you move on every day or two. I think we need to do that in a few years time. Can anyone recommend a holiday that involves seeing America but not moving on every day. Maybe one week somewhere before moving on to somewhere else. Must be family friendly so I don't want to do Miami.
Possibly the Keys but also want to hear lots of other ideas.
Thank you x
3 stops, max 4 with kids over 2 weeks. I've done tons with the kids.

Good ones include Washington- Rehobeth (with day trip across to Cape May)- Blue Ridge Mountains.

Atlanta- Smokies- Myrtle (optional)- Hilton Head.

Vegas- Flagstaff- Sedona- St George (Zion)

NYC- Cape Cod- Hershey ( Hershey Park great coasters).

Atlanta (Can do Six Flags and stay a few days)- San Destin / Seaside (great area on Florida Panhandle)- St Simon's Island/ Jekyll Island.

We've done all the above and more- kids have enjoyed, all reasonable driving and not too tiring.

Myself and my wife have done many, many more before we had kids. I will eventually get to every state.
Old 7 Aug 18, 09:04 PM  
Link to this Post
lindasarahlou
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by FamilyGWales View Post
Looking at Washington for a few days then down to Richmond, Virginia next year. Looking at sailing, walking, civil war history and kids want to explore the "other" Busch gardens.
Another not to be missed park on this route just north of Richmond is Kings Dominion.
90 Orlando/Clearwater; 92 Orlando/Daytona,Ft Laud, Keys, Everglades, Naples/Clearwater 95 Cedar Point, Niagara, Orlando 02 (now with kids!) DLP Santa Fe 04 Lindfields 07 Doral Woods/Daytona 500; 07 Sanctuary Westhaven; 10 Calabay Parc; 13 Highlands Reserve 15 DC, Smokies Coasters Cumbrian Lakes 16 Toronto Cedar Point Niagara + coasters 17 Highlands Reserve 18 NY 18 Vegas & Canyons 19 West Stonebridge 23 California Coasters
lindasarahlou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 18, 05:55 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by lindasarahlou View Post
Another not to be missed park on this route just north of Richmond is Kings Dominion.
That looks fab. Thanks for the tip
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List