Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 9 Aug 18, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Dubai and Japan Summer 2018 Day 10

So today we were heading away from Tokyo and I’m really sad that there are so many things that we didn’t see that we wanted to. We didn’t even get to wander around Tokyo city at all! We also didn’t get to see Character Street at Tokyo Central Station and Simon was most disappointed that he didn’t get to go in any arcades.

I took photos of our very tiny apartment before we left. The photos actually make it look bigger than it was. It was tiny. One big room with a bathroom slightly larger than a caravan toilet.

The original house we had booked was significantly bigger but when Airbnb cancelled our apartment it was the best we could do at short notice and at least we had somewhere to stay in what turned out to be a pretty amazing location. The host was also really helpful and messaged often asking if everything was ok so all turned out well in the end!

Well I expected to walk outside and see upturned trees and rubbish scattered everywhere following yesterday’s ‘Typhoon’. I didn’t so much as hear a window rattle! So when we stepped outside this morning, there was no wind. There was no rain and everything was just as it should be.

We lugged our cases up the hill to Meguro station and from here caught the train to Tokyo station. At Tokyo station we needed to find the Shinkansen platform (there’s more than one). The one we needed was 21 and we caught the train at 12:24 to Kanazawa. We had reserved our seats for free the other day. Although no one checked our tickets. They do have non reserved carriages also so you don’t have to reserve them but it’s a pretty long way to have to stand up.

We took some photos of some other trains whilst we waited.

Simon also bought a bento box as we’d read it was tradition to eat them on the train.

There was a little booth on the station specifically selling just them and I took a few photos of the posters to show what you can get.

Soon we were on our way. It does go fast. So fast it made my ears hurt! The trains are very nice with lots of leg space, reclining seats and tray tables.

We hadn’t been travelling long when we decided to have lunch. Simon had his bento box:

And here is my vegetarian take on it:

It took about 3 hours to get here. The feel of the place is so much calmer, much more residential and family oriented than Tokyo. There are two parks right by where we are staying which is significantly bigger than the last place and has a fancy toilet! We took the kids out to the park and played lamppost tig and it was just nice to see them running around and having fun being kids.

One thing I have noticed and it’s starting to irritate me now (I might have already mentioned it) is the serious lack of bins. Fair play to the Japanese for keeping their country so tidy because you can walk miles and miles and miles with your rubbish before you find anywhere to deposit it. Not easy to carry when you are also juggling 4 suitcases, 3 backpacks and a map!

Tomorrow we are going to explore this wonderful place. I’m really looking forward to it.
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 18, 10:51 PM  
Link to this Post
happytraveller
Imagineer

Hi rachel , I think their is an app called Happy cow that is supposed to let you know where you can find veggie/ vegan places. I felt for you before, but seeing that is a bit much The arcades be careful what you win in those lol. D'S won a monster of a cushion and can just about make space for it lol.

I too cannot be doing with this lack of bins or having to stand still whilst outside eating and drinking. I do respect why they do it, but it wastes a lot of time I find. Although that's probably because I'm preconditioned to do it,lol.

You will have fun with your fancy loo! D'S has had a whale of a time with the functions lol. I know what you mean about the park. We have a beautiful one and it's so nice to get our favourite icecreams and crepes and spend time in there. It's beautiful and peaceful.

Have you come across those huge flying months the size of bats! They are everywhere and one actually flew into me the other day.I've seen grown men freak out when they are near them
happytraveller is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 18, 12:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

If you felt sorry for me eating that you should have seen what I had for tea/dinner. A bowl of rice covered in a slop of runny potato. I think just rice would have been preferable! I’m expecting to be half a stone lighter by the time we go home.😜

Thanks for the tip about the app. I’ll checj it out now.👍

Well DS12 has decided we need to get a Japanese toilet in the house when we renovate it. Not sure I’ll be able to pick one up at the local B&Q tho!

Thankfully not seen the moths. I struggle with the ones at home. Never mind giant/bat sized ones! 😱
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 18, 12:39 AM  
Link to this Post
happytraveller
Imagineer

Lol D'S is saying the same He wants one of those loos. We never made it to Asakusa yesterday as I was worried about the weather that never really came. And today, well we've clearly eaten something we shouldn't have again

Tomorrow we go home, so am finalising packing ect so we can just leave rather than last minute packing. To be honest, it's not the type of where will we put that packing we normally have as we packed really light coming out and haven't bought that much whilst here, so it's fairly relaxed compared to our normal exploits

I hope your a lot more impressed with the sights where you are now than we both were with the scramble crossing lol! There was a supposed car racing site from F&F Tokyo drift that didn't live up to its hype either lol
happytraveller is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 18, 02:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

The packing nightmare! We’ve bought a few things but only small so should be ok.

Are you going to do a highs and lows when you get back? It will be interesting to read and see what you thought overall.

Have a safe flight when it arrives. Hopefully you’ll feel better before then.