Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 9 Aug 18, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post

Spending money in the usa

Going to Florida in a couple of weeks.

Have only been to Europe for a few years and usually just take a bit of cash and use debit card.

I don't think we have a safe in our villa so don't want to take loads of cash.

What do most people do for money? Card with a bit of cash or do the money exchange places still do those pre-loaded cards? Are there charges when using debit cards?

Many thanks.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 18, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Butterbeer
Trying for More Ears

Look in to getting a Caxton card, its a currency card that you can use just like a debit card, so you can pay with it and use it to take cash out with no charges, which shouldn't have changed since I last used it. They usually have decent exchange rates too and you can use their app or website to add money on to it whenever you want. You can use it for different currencies too, so its useful if you go to somewhere in Europe for example in the future.
Butterbeer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 18, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by marsh33 View Post
Going to Florida in a couple of weeks.

Have only been to Europe for a few years and usually just take a bit of cash and use debit card.

I don't think we have a safe in our villa so don't want to take loads of cash.

What do most people do for money? Card with a bit of cash or do the money exchange places still do those pre-loaded cards? Are there charges when using debit cards?

Many thanks.
If you can get a credit card go with a Halifax and/ or Post Office.
No need to faff around loading up with currencies etc.
You get proper MasterCard exchange rate (usually same as proper non tourist exchange rate which is about 3 cents to the £ higher than you'll get changing cash).
No currency exchange fees.
You need very little cash in US, virtually everything can be put on credit card, even vending machines.
I always have 2 cards (and in fact a further Amex as well) in case something went wrong with one or lost one. My wife also has the cards as second cardholder, so we are totally covered. Never had any issues.
We usually take $500 or so cash for family of 4 for 2 weeks.
Old 9 Aug 18, 11:22 AM  
Link to this Post

Thanks - will check both of those out!
Old 9 Aug 18, 11:27 AM  
Link to this Post

A few bad reviews on the Caxton card - I have a Halifax credit card with nothing on it so might use that...it's better to pay in local currency - is that right?
Old 9 Aug 18, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
stockport1965
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by marsh33 View Post
A few bad reviews on the Caxton card - I have a Halifax credit card with nothing on it so might use that...it's better to pay in local currency - is that right?
Caxton Card is brilliant, even when I had a query, I tweeted and they respond very quick
stockport1965 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 18, 09:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Burgmeister
Imagineer

Burgmeister's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
We have just returned from New York and I used our Revolut card. Worked flawlessly. I had changed some £ into $ on it a few weeks back at $1.33=£1 and when I paid with the card it automatically used those. If you run out of cash just top up from your debit card.

It also has some switchable security measures that you can turn on if you are more security concious. These include being able to freeze your card from the app when you aren't wanting to use it and also ensuring that the card doesn't work if your mobile phone is not in the vicinity. You also get immediate alerts to your phone every time a transaction occurs.

I also have a Halifax Clarity card but found that I didn't need it on this trip as Revolut worked so well
Old 10 Aug 18, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Check the exchange rates, used to used the pre-load currency cards like Caxton, but now use the Halifax Clarity credit card as the rate is far superior to Caxton / FairFX etc who have slowly got worse over the years.

Most pre-paid cards now do a hold of funds when used in restaurants now for tips to be added, so it gets more difficult to track what is available and not worth the hassle when on holiday. Also, never use one when checking into a hotel as again a hold will be placed on a deposit locking out that value.

I only use the Caxton card for pre-loading money to turn into cash these days, but do most things on the Halifax card.

Pay in local currency to get the best exchange rate.

Edited at 05:16 PM.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List