Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 10 Aug 18, 04:12 PM  
Link to this Post
paulfoel
Imagineer

DAS - son on autism spectrum

Went last year and we didn't get a DAS card. It was not ideal because son tended to get a little anxious especially on rides where the queue was enclosed (e.g. splash mountain = nightmare!).

We ended up, to be honest, avoiding rides because of the queues and the issues it would cause him. Not helped that wife walks with a crutch also (probably not bad enough herself for DAS).

Not sure how we'd fare asking for DAS for him? He doesn't want to and if the CM had to speak to him to ask him he'd refuse to be honest.

Isn't it different now though? You don't get to go on ride via different entrance but get a time to come back (based on current wait time)?
paulfoel is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 18, 11:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Mylittleminion
Helping Minnie

yes you can get a das pass for autism - it covers the person how needs it and up to 5 other people in your party

you can speak for him if you need to - if they question it you just say is a part of his condition he struggles to talk to people he doesn't know

You go to the queue/fastpass entrance there is usually someone there with an ipad and say you have a das pass they will then give you a return time based on the current standby wait time so 40 -60 -90 mins ect and when you return you use the fastpass line the same as you would for a fastpass just scan your bands making sure the person who qualified for das does theirs first.
If you were in a wheelchair ect you would use the disabilty entrance but otherwise you use the fastpass line.

You can use it in addition to your fastpasses though you can only have one das return at a time.

Edited at 11:16 AM.
Mylittleminion is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 18, 12:03 PM  
Link to this Post
nadya
Imagineer

My 2 ds with autism couldn't speak to the cast member but they were happy to talk to me about their issues,only thing I would advise is they need a photo for the DAS,my ds wasn't keen but we managed!.found the pass very useful,they don't do waiting very well
nadya is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 18, 12:28 PM  
Link to this Post
TC Devon
Imagineer

Mobile

I spoke for my daughter, she’s 7. She’s recently diagnosed and I’ve not yet told her. I Explain to cm that she did nt know her diagnosis. I just said my daughter (who sat in corner) is autistic please can I have a das pass. I had letters but he would nt look at them. Took her photo, pretended to take my sons photo and then set it up. It’s been a god send.
TC Devon is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 18, 09:15 AM  
Link to this Post
paulfoel
Imagineer

Thanks all - yeh no chance of him talking to a stranger at all. He goes for therapy and pretty much refuses to talk.

Getting him to have a photo will be tough. He will wonder why hes being singled out. Special attention would cause him to freak.

Do you think they would "pretend" to photo all of us and just use the real one of him?

I'd just have to be careful with the pass then though - not sure how'd he react knowing there was a pass for him.
paulfoel is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 18, 08:38 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyBride08
Apprentice Imagineer

We got a DAS pass for our son. He was 7 at the time and pre-verbal so they talked to me. We also got one when we went when he was two. The pass was linked to all of our magic so I was the one that went to the ride to get the return time. I'm sure you could play it that he wouldn't need to know that he even had one.

1996 WDW Offsite / 2001 DLP HNY / 2002 WDW ASM / 2004 DLP NB / 2008 Our Wedding Trip WDW POFQ & GF / 2009 - WDW CSR / 2010 DLP with bump! NB / 2012 WDW AKL / 2013 DLP HC

Our 2017 return DCL / BC / Universal HRH Vlogs
DisneyBride08 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 18, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Palm trees
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by paulfoel View Post
Thanks all - yeh no chance of him talking to a stranger at all. He goes for therapy and pretty much refuses to talk.

Getting him to have a photo will be tough. He will wonder why hes being singled out. Special attention would cause him to freak.

Do you think they would "pretend" to photo all of us and just use the real one of him?

I'd just have to be careful with the pass then though - not sure how'd he react knowing there was a pass for him.
Our experience is dissimilar in so far as our disabled child loves attention so photos etc are a breeze. However I can note our experiences of interacting with Disney staff as entirely positive in relation to disability. I would hope and expect that they will be sensitive to your child's needs too.

When we had photo pass stops (I know it's not the same thing but it's time with cast members all the same) my little boy loved the idea of scanning his magic band as he watched them doing it to mine to upload the photos. Although it didn't work on his band the photographers played along to make him happy. On that basis I don't see how it would be too much of a jump to think they could pretend to take all of your photos?

We didn't get an actual pass, it was just linked to his magic band, the only thing is that you have to scan that band first at the ride so you'll need to think about how you manage that.
Palm trees is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List