Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 14 Aug 18, 11:14 PM  
Link to this Post
disneybumble3
Proud to wear my Ears

New name help!

I got married just over a week ago but we booked everything for Florida well before this so everything is booked in my maiden name.

What do I do with my passport?

I've read various things, some say to just keep my passport and flight tickets in my maiden name and change my driving license and take our marriage certificate. Has anyone done this?

Other say to change everything but will that include a fee with virgin?

Help!
disneybumble3 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 18, 11:50 PM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

Mobile

Stick to the advice given. Leave your passport until it is time to change it. Take your marriage certificate. You are required to change your driving licence. Don't bother with anything else.
Old 15 Aug 18, 12:28 AM  
Link to this Post
keeley78
Imagineer

keeley78's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 18
You don't need to change anything for travelling, your passport can remain in your maiden name until it runs out even then you can still keep it in your maiden name if you wanted to, so long as your passport matches your flight tickets it doesn't matter with regards to traveling, I travelled on my maiden name for years after I was married until my passport ran out, you don't need to take your marriage certificate for anything to do with travel if it's all in your maiden name

Rosen inn @ pointe May 2010, Rosen inn @ pointe & got married May 2011, Clarion inn LBV May 2012, Rosen international, RPR & Hilton Clearwater July/aug 2013
New York July 2016
Rosen @ pointe, Cabana Bay & All star sports Oct/ Nov 2018, New York July 2023

Edited at 12:31 AM.
keeley78 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 18, 07:33 AM  
Link to this Post
darm
Getting Excited

Mobile

I fly in 20 days for my honeymoon. I have left my passprt and holiday in my maiden name. I have just changrd my driving licence and will take marraige certificate. Everything takes so long to change ur name!
Old 15 Aug 18, 07:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Emmapink
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I’ve changed everything other than my passport. I have 7years left on it (had 9 when I got married)
Emmapink is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 18, 07:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Bolto6
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 7SeasSailor View Post
Stick to the advice given. Leave your passport until it is time to change it. Take your marriage certificate. You are required to change your driving licence. Don't bother with anything else.
When I got married in 2014, I left everything being changed until after our honeymoon (we went 6 weeks after the wedding.) I don’t believe you are required to change anything unless you want to.

OP, I didn’t change anything until I had travelled, my reasoning being I tend to use my driving license as my ID so I don’t have to carry my passport around, so if something doesn’t match they’re gonna query it (especially now as they want DL with a copy of the passport.) So knowing what they are like in the US, I left my DL, bank account, insurances etc until I got home, so that all my documentation for the holiday matched. When we got to immigration we went through together as we always have (apart from trip no.1,) and when asked our relationship we told him we’d just got married, no further questions asked.

My passport ran out in 2017, and I renewed to my married name in January this year. I knew it didn’t matter at home, and I just did it once I knew I was leaving the country again.
Bolto6 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 18, 08:30 AM  
Link to this Post
SillyPickle
Gone all Goofy

Mobile

You don't have to change anything, you could keep your maiden name forever, you don't have to change your name when you get married. So even if you do plan to change in the future you can wait until you return from your holiday.
SillyPickle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 18, 09:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Fancealot
Getting Excited

As others have stated, don't change to your married name until your passport runs out, my wife kept hers for our honeymoon, it was lucky she had to renew a year after we got married and we changed it then, and as others have stated there is no actual need to change from your maiden name unless you want to. It is a common practice and as long as the booking and tickets match your passport you are good to go!
Fancealot is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 18, 09:02 AM  
Link to this Post
sarahb161
Serious Dibber

Mobile

I would keep everything as it is until you get back. I flew with my passport in my maiden name a week after our wedding. If you change your driving license but not your passport I can only see it causing questions and problems.
sarahb161 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 18, 09:17 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by disneybumble3 View Post
I got married just over a week ago but we booked everything for Florida well before this so everything is booked in my maiden name.

What do I do with my passport?

I've read various things, some say to just keep my passport and flight tickets in my maiden name and change my driving license and take our marriage certificate. Has anyone done this?

Other say to change everything but will that include a fee with virgin?

Help!
After I got married I changed some things and not others and things got messy as I was moving overseas, applying for visas, undergoing police and work checks etc. I decided that it would have been better to either change everything or leave everything.

It looks like your trip is a long way off, so if you plan to take your husband’s name, then I would change everything before then. If you have some travel coming up, then I would leave everything in your maiden name until you get back, then change everything.

Not sure why somebody said you need to change driving licence, many women keep their maiden name for ever.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List