Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 29 Nov 17, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Beaker7929
Imagineer

Beaker7929's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 101
First Time Cruisers!

Hi everyone!

My mum and I have just booked our first ever cruise and needless to say we're very excited!

In May we will be sailing with P&O on the Azura from Southampton for a cruise of the Norwegian Fjords taking in the following:

Stavanger
Flam
Aurlandsfjord - cruise by
Sognefjord - cruise by
Olden
Innvikfjorden - cruise by
Nordfjord - cruise by
Bergen

Given that we are first timers, any hints, tips or advice that you can provide, about cruising in general, or specifically cruising the Norwegian Fjords would be greatly appreciated! The kind of things that you wish you'd known before your first cruise

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Twitter - @rpaisley79 / Instagram - rachelpaisley79

Upcoming Hols *July '19 Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest*August 2020 WDW Coronado Springs*

Previous Hols *Jan '19 Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest*Jan '18 Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest*Oct '17 Cheyenne*Jan '17 Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest*Jan '16 Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest*March '15 - Cheyenne*Nov '13 - Cheyenne*Feb '12 - Newport Bay*April '08 - Santa Fe*March '05 - Santa Fe*

Click here for my Disneyland Paris Trip Reports
Beaker7929 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 17, 02:06 PM  
Link to this Post

All I can say Rachel is Go with the Flow (pun definitely intended). Once you get the cruising bug you'll never look back. Sounds a delightful trip. Hope the two of you have a wonderful time. Tip: Chillax! Lots of cocktails.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 17, 10:53 PM  
Link to this Post
disney owl
Imagineer

disney owl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
I agree with Geoff, be warned cruising is addictive! Have not been to the Fjords yet but understand it's beautiful. My mother in law said the scenary was like a picture on a jigsaw.

Have been on several P&O cruises, so willing to answer any questions you have. Azura is a lovely ship
June 2001, August 2003,2007 &Sept 2010 - WDW Offsite
June 2005 - DLP Davy Crockett Ranch
disney owl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 17, 11:13 PM  
Link to this Post
tikka234
Imagineer

We done our first cruise in July with p o on Arcadia to Norweigen fjords loved it fantastic views I was up between 4/5 am watching us sail into the fjords.
We done the ship excursions I know their more expensive but no regrets, some included a snack and Evan a lovely lunch
we looked at trips and excursions on u tube.
Old 1 Dec 17, 07:04 AM  
Link to this Post
stecee
Imagineer

We did this cruise this year, on the same ship.
Ours was at the beginning of July and we had fabulous weather, clear blue skies most days.
The scenery is spectacular and like a pp said, it's worth getting up early to catch some of it as you sail by.
We went on 2 of the ships excursions, the first was to a waterfall from Flam, which was our favourite port. We stopped off on the way at a hotel for refreshments, it had spectacular views and absolutely stunning scenery. The second was an excursion to a glacier from Olden, which I'm glad we did because there is very little to see there.
Stavanger and Bergan were nice places to have a wonder around and we easily filled our time there.
If there is anything specific you would like to know about the ship or ports, ask away.
'Oct 97 Days inn main gate west, June '02 Days inn main gate west, Dec '05 All star movie resort, Aug '07 Caribbean Beach Resort, Sept '09 Port Orleans Riverside, Oct'10 Tour then villa at Highgate, May '12 Emerald Island villa. Oct '14 The Keys then SSR.

Edited at 02:29 PM.
stecee is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 17, 07:07 AM  
Link to this Post
jo williams
Very Serious Dibber

I also done this cruise in Sept our first time cruising too. Just a tip when you go to flam if you want to go on the railway, book the tickets on line.you can see the railway station from the ship and it’s much cheaper. Join cruise critic and research the ports you will be stopping at. The scenery is stunning.
jo williams is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 17, 11:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Beaker7929
Imagineer

Beaker7929's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

Thank you so much guys, these are great responses! I’m loving the tip about getting up early, I can just see myself now on the balcony with a cup of tea watching the Fjords go by

Originally Posted by stecee View Post
The second was an excursion to a glacier from Olden, which I'm glad we did because there is very little to see there.
Stavanger and Bergan were nice places to have a wonder around and we easily filled our time there.
That’s a really good tip about Olden, was there much walking involved in going to the glacier? Mum is fine with walking but not too hilly and needs to go at her pace.

Good to know that at Stravanger and Bergan we can just mooch around, it would be lovely to get a good balance of excursions and doing our own thing.

Upcoming Hols *July '19 Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest*August 2020 WDW Coronado Springs*

Previous Hols *Jan '19 Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest*Jan '18 Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest*Oct '17 Cheyenne*Jan '17 Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest*Jan '16 Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest*March '15 - Cheyenne*Nov '13 - Cheyenne*Feb '12 - Newport Bay*April '08 - Santa Fe*March '05 - Santa Fe*

Beaker7929 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 17, 11:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Beaker7929
Imagineer

Beaker7929's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

Originally Posted by jo williams View Post
I also done this cruise in Sept our first time cruising too. Just a tip when you go to flam if you want to go on the railway, book the tickets on line.you can see the railway station from the ship and it’s much cheaper. Join cruise critic and research the ports you will be stopping at. The scenery is stunning.
How far out from your cruise did you book your train tickets for Flam? I had a look the other day and there was only one train available going both ways with only 10mins inbetween, have I missed the boat (pun intended) or are the other trains being held for the cruise excursions?

Old 1 Dec 17, 11:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Beaker7929
Imagineer

Beaker7929's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

Originally Posted by geoffa View Post
All I can say Rachel is Go with the Flow (pun definitely intended). Once you get the cruising bug you'll never look back. Sounds a delightful trip. Hope the two of you have a wonderful time. Tip: Chillax! Lots of cocktails.
Obviously cocktails are a must!

Old 2 Dec 17, 02:18 PM  
Link to this Post
stecee
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Beaker7929 View Post
Thank you so much guys, these are great responses! I’m loving the tip about getting up early, I can just see myself now on the balcony with a cup of tea watching the Fjords go by

That’s a really good tip about Olden, was there much walking involved in going to the glacier? Mum is fine with walking but not too hilly and needs to go at her pace.

Good to know that at Stravanger and Bergan we can just mooch around, it would be lovely to get a good balance of excursions and doing our own thing.
The coach dropped us at a visitor centre and it was about a 45 minute walk from there up to the glacier. It is quite hilly but there are plenty of places to stop and take in the view. We are both nearer to 60 than 50 and we managed it comfortably.

Here are a couple of photos,
The glacier from a distance

A bit of the view on the way up

At the glacier
'Oct 97 Days inn main gate west, June '02 Days inn main gate west, Dec '05 All star movie resort, Aug '07 Caribbean Beach Resort, Sept '09 Port Orleans Riverside, Oct'10 Tour then villa at Highgate, May '12 Emerald Island villa. Oct '14 The Keys then SSR.

Edited at 02:36 PM.
stecee is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List