Florida Mel
Imagineer

Florida Mel's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 17

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
:) Disney's Hilton Head Trip Report

Not much on this resort so I thought I would do a quick trip report. Please feel free to ask any questions

We were lucky enough to stay at the fabulous Disney's Hilton Head Resort in South Caroline last month with our DVC friends. I'd always wanted to visit the Low Country and enjoy its relaxed way of living, it did not disappoint, this is the most chilled out holiday location i've ever had.

The Island is roughly a 2.5 hours drive from Jacksonville airport, a pretty straight forward journey, one interstate, the i95, all the way! You can fly into Savannah/Hilton Head airport from Atlanta or Jacksonville but the timings did not fit our schedule. The journey takes you into 3 states, Florida, Georgia and finally South Caroline

As you would expect with Disney, the report is stunning and the layout is exceptional.

As we arrived late at night we could not get a full feel for the place but following a quick check in we were given our 1st visit badges and directed to our villa, instructed to use one of the trolleys (brilliant idea) and told to "Have a great stay!"

The luggage trolleys

We had a top floor villa, number 2222, nice and easy to remember (photos in the next post)

Florida Mel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 18, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Florida Mel
Imagineer

Florida Mel's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
:) The Villa

We stayed in a 2 bed villa, beautifully furnished and impressively spacious. The villa had a central lounge, with a well equipped kitchen, with the bedrooms either side. The master bedroom had a jacuzzi bath and access to the terrace. The 2nd bedroom had 2 large king beds with a spacious bathroom.

One of the king beds

Table and seating area in the 2nd bedroom

The lounge area had a large sofa and armchair, large TV and access to the terrace. The decor was, I can only describe as 'fishing cabin chic'. The kitchen although small, was very well set out and had everything we needed.

The hall way

Mickey and Minnie were here 💗

The terrace had a view of the marshland, a table and seating for 4 plus 2 gorgeous wooden rockers! We spent most evenings sat out here, a great place to sit and rest after a busy day (don't forget the insect repellent).

Edited at 01:26 PM.
Florida Mel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 18, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Florida Mel
Imagineer

Florida Mel's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
:) The Resort

The resort is not on a huge scale so is perfect to get around, you won't get lost!

The resort is made up of the main hotel, Live Oak Lodge, and then dotted around are storey blocks containing villas.

When you enter the resort you check in at the Live Oak Lodge, make sure to pick up a complimentary hot drink from the lobby throughout your day when you're out and about and wave to the cast member when you pass

Look out for the resort dog Shadow

Although its a small resort it has everything you need, kids will love it. A pool, mini golf, evening movies, bike hire, shop, food counter and lounge areas with games They have daily activities ranging from Mickey tie dye t shirts to smore's around the camp fire.

We loved the styling of this resort, cute detail It has the feeling of a Disney park or one of the WDW resorts, very clever styling!

The boardwalk is a lovely place to hang out and watch the local wildlife

Oh and make sure you have a relax in one of the many hammocks dotted around and keep your eyes peeled for hidden Mickey's!

Edited at 01:30 PM.
Old 13 May 18, 11:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Florida Mel
Imagineer

Florida Mel's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
:) The Beach House

The first thing you need to know is...this resort is not on the beach! The beach house is 1.5 miles away and is accessible by either walking, cycling, driving or using the complimentary shuttle bus provided by Disney.The Beach House is located on the Palmetto Dunes site just across the highway.

If you choose to walk or cycle you have made the right choice as Hilton Head is designed for cyclists and walkers, with beautiful cycle routes purpose built and tracks under the highways. These routes start right from the resort.

The cycle route under the highway

The cycle path

You can hire the bikes at the resort or from various sites around the island. We hired bikes from the resort, i think they were $37 each for the duration of your stay, quite a bargain for a week!

The route is virtually flat all the way so an easy cycle or walk for any fitness level.

Another amazing reason to cycle to the beach house is the beach is totally flat, hard sand and is used by cyclists

If cycling not an option for you, The Beach House has a car park or jump on the free shuttle bus which runs every half hour from the resort. We met the lovely Carol who told us that you can call them anytime for a pick up if the times don't suit, the staff are wonderful

Right, The Beach House

This is Disneys private beach club and beach access, you swipe your room key to get access.

This is a beautiful place, gorgeous loungers, hot tub, swimming pool and cafe (Signals).

The beach can be reached via a boardwalk at the back of the club house.

The beach is 12 miles long and totally flat. Watch out for jellyfish on the beach, this is probably why we didn't see anyone in the sea!

Signals serves the usual burgers, chicken strips, caesar salad etc. We met the wonderful Jim here, such a lovely guy Oh and a great Margarita and dole whips There is also a poolside bar for snacks and drinks

Mini Dole Whip

We loved this place and visited about 3 or 4 times during our stay (shuttle, walked and cycled), oh and don't forget to check out the houses along the beech, stunning!

Edited at 01:22 PM.
Old 13 May 18, 11:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Florida Mel
Imagineer

Florida Mel's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
:) The Local Area

Shopping

There is a great selection of shops within a short walk or car journey.

Next to the resort (5 minute walk) is Shelter Cove which has a TJ Maxx and a Kroger (similar to a Public) for food shopping.

There are also some nice boutique shops to browse so definitely worth a visit.

Or you can take a 20-30 minute drive back off the island to Bluffton theres a brilliant Tangers Outlet (very Premium outlet style) they have everything there, bargains a plenty!

Entertainment

Also at Shelter Cove Harbour (at Neptunes Square) there is a Music and Taste event held every Thursday evening 6-9 during Spring and Fall which is great fun. They offer super cheap food and drinks , live music and a great atmosphere right on the harbour perfect for watching the sunset

Food organised by local business

Locals bring there own seating, very friendly place to spend the evening

The best Christmas shop in the sunshine

Neptune

Golf

Hilton Head has its fair share of golf courses, over 40 apparently!

The lads played all 3 golf courses of Palmetto Dunes, Arthur Hills (their favourite), George Fazio and the Robert Trent Jones Course.

Palmetto Dunes is just across the William Hilton Parkway from the resort literally minutes so easy access to all 3 courses

Just up the road is Harbour Town home to Harbour Town Golf Links at The Sea Pines Resort which hosts the RBC Heritage We were lucky enough to be there for this years and followed Ian Poulter round the course

The 18th has a stunning back drop

The iconic tartan lighthouse!

Edited at 10:51 AM.
Old 13 May 18, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Florida Mel
Imagineer

Florida Mel's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
:) Food and Drink

Food

Shelter Cove also has a fabulous Seafood Restaurant Poseidon, its right on the intercostal so great for sunsets and watching the dolphins and wildlife. Its very popular so prepare to wait for a table. Try the local oysters

Also pay a visit to World Of Beer, the largest selection of beers i've ever seen but they do cocktails and wine too They also do food offers like Taco Tuesday and a Burger night

Across the road from the resort is Shelter Cove Harbour which has a row of restaurants and bars offering every type of food imaginable. We ate at Scott's Fish Market and at San Miguels great Mexican food and watch out for their happy hour!

They do the best Margarita's

Edited at 10:51 AM.
Old 13 May 18, 12:21 PM  
Link to this Post
CC71
Apprentice Imagineer

CC71's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Thank you Mel, for posting such wonderful pictures. Hilton Head is on our radar for a future trip as we are DVC members too, looking forward to more updates
Old 13 May 18, 12:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Florida Mel
Imagineer

Florida Mel's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by CC71 View Post
Thank you Mel, for posting such wonderful pictures. Hilton Head is on our radar for a future trip as we are DVC members too, looking forward to more updates
Thank you, happy to help with any questions when you get planning

I'll be updating over the next few days
Old 13 May 18, 03:12 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Great trip report so far Mel. This brings back memories from 7 years ago for me, when we made our only visit to HHI and stayed in Palmetto Dunes, and I cycled down that beach myself.
HHI quickly became one of the nicest places we have ever stayed, and I saw the Disney hotel across the road, and couldn't work out, being ignorant of DVC then, why Disney had a hotel there I could not book.
Ironically it was for that reason I looked online and first learnt about DVC, which led me on my DVC buying journey. I cannot wait to go back to HHI eventually and stay here.
Old 13 May 18, 05:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Florida Mel
Imagineer

Florida Mel's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Great trip report so far Mel. This brings back memories from 7 years ago for me, when we made our only visit to HHI and stayed in Palmetto Dunes, and I cycled down that beach myself.
HHI quickly became one of the nicest places we have ever stayed, and I saw the Disney hotel across the road, and couldn't work out, being ignorant of DVC then, why Disney had a hotel there I could not book.
Ironically it was for that reason I looked online and first learnt about DVC, which led me on my DVC buying journey. I cannot wait to go back to HHI eventually and stay here.
I’m so glad it brought back your Hilton Head holiday memories 👍

I’m getting the feeling that everyone that visits that area fall in love with the laid back southern charm, we will definitely try and visit again some day 👍

Thank you for reading and commenting 😎