Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 28 Jun 18, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
sasperella
Apprentice Imagineer

sasperella's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I put a towel on the seat, as it gets really hot when on rides. It absorbs sweat as well.

Rosen Inn @ Pointe Orlando. Easter 2013, Sept/Oct 2015, Nov/Dec 2017
Wilderness Lodge 2018
AKL 2019, 2020, 2022. Beach Club 2023
sasperella is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 18, 11:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkertangled
Imagineer

Mobile

My son has a fabric cushion with his wheelchair but it came with the chair so can’t help on where to buy one sorry. He has an action junior if that’s any help. He always wears shorts and we just make sure we are regularly applying sub cream and take plenty of breaks into shaded areas/shops etc.
I have tried to find a parasol that would attach to his chair without success but depending on what type you have you might find something, even one of those parasols that attach to buggies might help.
Tinkertangled is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 18, 11:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Jesslydevie1
Very Serious Dibber

My daughter is a wheelchair user and has never suffered on her thighs just reapply regular. As for the seat cushion we ALWAYS use a towel it’s absorbant and useful when needed .
Old 28 Jun 18, 11:27 PM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

As previously mentioned a towel on the seat is useful as those seat pads do get very hot. However I would also say that on most rides if you are taking the wheelchair right to where you get on the ride then it will be in the shade ready for your return.

As for sunburnt thighs, when we took my wife then we just endured plenty of sun cream applied on a regular basis, but in fairness that rule also applied to the rest of us
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 18, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Hi
I am getting a parasol to attach to my wheelchair
Have you thought maybe getting one as well?
🙋
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 18, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Saratoska
VIP Dibber

Saratoska's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
my sons wears 3/4 length so his legs don't get burnt

his arms rests are plastic and they really heat up to the point I thnk they would burn him. we put a hand towel under each arm

Edited at 01:54 PM.
Saratoska is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 18, 03:46 PM  
Link to this Post
ziggyzag
Imagineer

If she gets hot you could use a cooling towel across her legs?
ziggyzag is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 18, 03:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Trouble3
Apprentice Imagineer

Trouble3's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Don't know if this might work? ikea/gb/en/products/...-art-00389543/

I bought one for my sunlounger, but did think if I needed to it would also fit on my wheelchair (not actually tried it yet though).
Old 30 Jun 18, 04:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Galela1986
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

When my sons in his wheelchair we just be sure to apply plenty of suncream, everytime we change is nappy and additional if needed and he’s always fine.
Galela1986 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 18, 04:27 PM  
Link to this Post
scottish mama
VIP Dibber

Ive never had a problem with sunburnwhen I've worn shorts, just keep slapping the sun cream on. I've also used skorts, which are a skirt with short leggings underneath;this saves the problem of 'unladylike' sitting, or she could wear a wee sundress with cycling shorts underneath. Although it's often more comfy to have something a little bit longer though, as you can get very hot and sweaty

I also use a micro towel on top of my cushion which, as others have said, absorbs any sweat and is handy as a towel.
scottish mama is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List