Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 2 Aug 18, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Dubai and Japan Summer 2018 Day 3

Good news! I think I forgot to share this yesterday but our cameras are still in Newcastle. Yay!

Managed to get some pics of breakfast today. Even though we were all still full from the night befores efforts at the Cheesecake Factory.

As well as the self service buffet sections you can also have an omelette freshly cooked and pancakes.

Today was checkout day and we really did not spend enough time in Dubai. When we booked the holiday having a few days in Dubai was more of an after thought when we realised the plane was stopping there anyway. We’ve had a really good time and would have liked to have spent more time lazing around, playing in the pool. The hotel was really good quality and I’ve been thinking it’s quite good value for money. In 2016 I paid over £4,000 for 4 flights to Orlando. It cost us £3600 for four flights to Tokyo and back plus a 3 night stay at a beach side hotel with breakfast included. That seems like a much better deal to me.

After breakfast DS9 wanted to play in the pool so Simon took him whilst I packed and DS12 who was back to being ‘Dear’ stayed to help. After we checked out we put our luggage into storage and headed to meet with the other two. I had a quick 5 minute dip in the sea. It was hotter today than on Tuesday and was not comfortable at all so I got out and headed for the pool. Much better!

In the afternoon we caught the tram to the train station for a return to the mall as DS12 had a flight simulator experience booked. It cost 56UAE dirham for 4 return tickets. DS12 really enjoyed the flight simulator experience which is located on the ground floor of the mall but I really don’t think it’s worth the £75 ish price tag.

He’s obsessed by planes and knows pretty well what to do. He has a flight simulator game and flying joy stick at home. I don’t think it was too different even if it looked a bit fancier. The pilot didn’t have to give him much help and said that he knew what he was doing. He’d love to be a pilot but I’m not sure my wage will pay for him to go through flight school!

After Simon wanted to go to the VR park to play a walking dead walk through/simulator game. That cost 35 dirhams.

Apparently you get pushed around in a wheelchair!
You could spend a fortune on the games in there. Each arcade style ride was 15 but you could get a day pass for 140 I think?

The entrance to it looked pretty cool..

That was actually on the roof and the photo does not do the roof justice.

We headed back to the hotel for about 8pm and took one last look st the beach. DS9 thought it would be a good idea to walk in the sea with his shoes on! Why? Why would you do that when you know you are catching s plane in a few hours? I could see what he was going to do before Gw did but my frantic calling of his name fell on deaf ears!

After a quick discussion with DS9 about what on earth he was thinking we headed to the airport. It cost 80 UAE which is more than 20 cheaper than when we arrived. Maybe we were ripped off on the way here or they have a different rate for after a certain time? The taxi driver was really knowledgable and pointed out various buildings along the way. All the other taxi drivers have not said a word. They are very quiet compared to at home.

So now... I’m sat in the airport with 3 hours to wait until we fly but I’m sat on a very comfy chair so I might just have to take a nap!
Rac20 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 18, 10:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Geordieprincess
Apprentice Imagineer

Good to hear the cameras are found even if they are back in England!

Agree Emirates flights seem much better value than ones to Florida. We paid under £2400 for 2 adults and 2 children to Western Australia and Dubai over Easter 2017 and £2550 into Kuala Lumpur and out of Singapore this August (not staying in Dubai this time). Going back to Dubai October half term for not much more than we paid for Lanzarote last October. Flights were all exact school hols and no extra days of school missed - even cheaper if we'd added the odd day. We are heading back to Florida next year but think I'll look at Hong Kong with Emirates the next year.

Was that the A380 simulator your son did? My DS12 is also obsessed with planes and has done the 737 simulator in Newcastle and I wondered about doing the A380 in Dubai as this is his favourite plane. Quite pricy though.

Enjoy the rest of your trip.
Geordieprincess is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 18, 11:15 AM  
Link to this Post
RT7
Imagineer

You weren’t ripped off, there is always a starting charge on the taxi meter at Dubai airport.

We have found like you some of the taxi drivers quiet but the ones that do chat like to ask questions about the UK.

Looking forward to reading about Japan. We are heading there to visit our daughter for Christmas and New Year.
We were there about 4 years ago but only for 3 days so didn’t manage to fit much in.

Edited at 11:18 AM.
RT7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 18, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Geordieprincess View Post
Good to hear the cameras are found even if they are back in England!

Agree Emirates flights seem much better value than ones to Florida. We paid under £2400 for 2 adults and 2 children to Western Australia and Dubai over Easter 2017 and £2550 into Kuala Lumpur and out of Singapore this August (not staying in Dubai this time). Going back to Dubai October half term for not much more than we paid for Lanzarote last October. Flights were all exact school hols and no extra days of school missed - even cheaper if we'd added the odd day. We are heading back to Florida next year but think I'll look at Hong Kong with Emirates the next year.

Was that the A380 simulator your son did? My DS12 is also obsessed with planes and has done the 737 simulator in Newcastle and I wondered about doing the A380 in Dubai as this is his favourite plane. Quite pricy though.

Enjoy the rest of your trip.
Yes it was the Emirates A380 flight simulator and located on the ground floor. I booked it direct with the company online. If I had to pay a monetary value I’d say I’d expect to pay about £35 for it. DS12 enjoyed it though at least.
Rac20 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 18, 01:13 PM  
Link to this Post
sparkyweb
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

You pay a 25AED surcharge for getting a cab at the airport.
There are ways around this, but in my experience it’s note worth it.
sparkyweb is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 18, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sparkyweb View Post
You pay a 25AED surcharge for getting a cab at the airport.
There are ways around this, but in my experience it’s note worth it.
Thanks. I’ll bear that in my mind for next time. I’d already forgotten about it! ☺️