Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 6 Aug 18, 11:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Novice
Trainee Dibber

Mobile A currency question

We are heading off to Salou in a couple of weeks, having not been to Europe for a few years, what ways to people bring currency? Can you pay chip and pin on a pre pay card or is cash better? Are travellers cheque non existent now?
Disney Novice is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 18, 11:19 PM  
Link to this Post
tiggertastic
Imagineer

Cash and credit cards

Edited at 12:44 PM.
tiggertastic is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 18, 05:33 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Haven't used travellers cheques in years, too much hassle.

Credit card with no fees and cash these days. Used the pre-pay cards for a few years, but these have gotten to be less value (lower exchange rates) and less convenient these days with various holds for some types of use.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 18, 05:49 PM  
Link to this Post
DiscoD6381
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Hopefully this thread stays more polite and good spirited than the other currency thread🙂

Cash, credit cards with no fees or you get good currency cards like FX or revolut. These aren't as bad as old cards that used to mean you your money was stuck and can be managed/topped up via apps on smartphones.

The money saving expert has a big section in travel money and cards. Well worth looking at that.
DiscoD6381 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 18, 06:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

I take some cash and a couple of credit cards that charges no fees on overseas transaction.

I have apps for the cards and can track spending and exchange rates, as well as paying chunks off the cards through my mobile banking if need be whilst away. I did this a couple of times when hotel preauthorise an amount on check in that sometimes holds for a number of days until it drops off.

As someone else has posted on another thread my wife is authorised user on my accounts in case there is an issue with my cards as well as having cards of her own. I also take another card and my debit card in case of emergency too. I usually take about £300-£500 in cash dependant on where we are going and for how long and tend to find this lasts us. Also check with your travel insurance how much ‘cash’ is actually covered in case it gets lost or stolen.

Not used travel cheques in a while and can’t remember when we last used them. Cards and cash have worked well for us over the last few years. I never take all cash due to the risk involved and have had very few cases where cards are not taken.

Edited at 06:23 PM.
Gunna is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List