Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 12 Aug 18, 02:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Scottishmam
Excited about Disney

Aberdeen or Inverness flights

Hi we're hoping to go to Orlando at the start of the school holidays next year so flying out about the 29th June for 3 weeks. Our nearest airports are Inverness and Aberdeen so would prefer to fly from one of those. Wondering if anyone knew any routes and airlines to check? We flew Aberdeen to Frankfurt to Orlando last time with Lufthansa but don't think this route is available now? I've heard that we can fly with Icelandic airlines or Norwegian airlines but again I think these routes have stopped? London is a bit of a pain as think we would need to transfer between Heathrow and Gatwick? We would consider 2 stops if it was much cheaper and would also consider Sanford or perhaps Tampa if anyone has any ideas with them. We could fly direct from Glasgow or Edinburgh but it means a 4 hour hour drive home which we don't mind on way there but it's a bit of a nightmare for coming home. Any ideas appreciated. Thanks
Scottishmam is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 18, 02:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Deanne
Trading Disney Pins

Deanne's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Hi last year we did Aberdeen/Amsterdam/Detroit/Orlando with KLM and Delta. The same for the return journey.
This year we are doing Aberdeen/Heathrow/Miami/Orlando with BA and American Airlines on the way out and Orlando/Dublin/Aberdeen on the way back with Aer Lingus.
Flying from Aberdeen always seems to make it a long day. We have tried many different ways and last year was by far the best but as we booked later this year and are tied to certain dates due to my husbands work and kids school I couldn’t find similar flights so hopefully the ones we have booked will work well.
Deanne is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 18, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Carolynmf
Apprentice Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
We normally fly Aberdeen-Amsterdam-Orlando route with KLM, Delta, Air France etc. we are currently booked to go the end of this month again that way. However my OH may be delayed offshore and miss the flight so I have been looking at alternatives for him. Inverness - Amsterdam-Orlando was coming out very cheap, however the car parking makes it unviable just for him, but if it was a family it may be worth considering.
Carolynmf is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 18, 03:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Scottishmam
Excited about Disney

Thanks both of you. I will look into these as soon as the return flights are released. What other routes have you tried Deanne? Any you wouldn't advise at all? Thanks.
Scottishmam is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 18, 03:19 PM  
Link to this Post
loopylaura
Serious Dibber

We've flown Inverness/Heathrow/Orlando with BA. Flew down to Heathrow, overnight in the Sofitel and then a direct flight out to Orlando. Great flight and as we usually had to travel down day before and stay over if going from Glasgow/Edinburgh this was a great option for us once we had done it the first time.
loopylaura is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 18, 04:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Deanne
Trading Disney Pins

Deanne's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
The first time we went was before they stopped the Aberdeen/Gatwick flights, so we went Aberdeen/Gatwick/Orlando with virgin.
We have also flown Aberdeen/Manchester/Orlando with virgin and the same on return, always had a long wait in Manchester which meant we booked a day room to try and get some sleep as I struggle to sleep on the flight, which is not so easy when the kids have slept on the flight.
We have also driven to Manchester which is not to bad on the way down but really not good on the way home, although we did still get back before the time we would’ve if we had flown.
We also always seemed to land in massive, slow moving emigration lines in Manchester so much prefer to do emigration in Aberdeen.
Because flying from Aberdeen always requires at least one connection I tend to use Skyscanner to see which connections I like and then book direct with one of the airlines.
Hope this helps 😀
Deanne is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 18, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

We are flying Aberdeen/Heathrow/Dublin/Orlando in November, on the way home it's Orlando/New York/Heathrow/Aberdeen.

We flew last year from Inverness - Inverness/Amsterdam/Atlanta/Orlando, on the return journey Orlando/Detroit/Amsterdam/Inverness.

To be honest, flying from either Aberdeen or Inverness is a long day, no way around it really. We normally book with Netflights, and choose the times that suit us best from their options.

All of my trip reports are in this INDEX

My most recent reports are below:
*Complete* A Tale of Two Cities - Washington D.C. & Boston - March 2023
We Love Food! An Offsite Dining Report - May 2022
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 18, 05:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

All things being equal, you may find INV cheaper than ABZ with BA, since INV has an APD exemption.

However, as mentioned above INV would involve an airport change in London if you wanted to fly non-stop from there to Orlando/Tampa,a dn there would likely be more choices with other airlines from ABZ.

Edited at 05:07 PM.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 18, 06:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Scottishmam
Excited about Disney

Thanks. Loopylaura was your baggage checked through on return flight as I assume you would have to collect it in Heathrow on way there as you were staying over? Did you phone to book this so you could book the flight the day earlier?
Deanne I did think about Manchester so I will keep my eyes on that. A drive home from Manchester would be too much so we would def want a flight.
Fuellady - I will look at Netflights. Thank you.
Thanks Peko - I did not know about the APD exemption. Aberdeen requires an airport change as well (or a stay overnight)
Thanks for all these ideas and information.
Old 12 Aug 18, 06:09 PM  
Link to this Post
scotpod
Apprentice Imagineer

scotpod's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Inverness fly to gatwick, Heathrow , Manchester, belfast, Dublin & birmingham which should all have connecting flights to Orlando. I always fly down to gatwick the day before and stay overnight and use twilight check-in - super easy.