Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 9 Jun 18, 03:52 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I believe in France you used to not be able to choose any name but one from a prescribed very long list . I think they have the right idea , some name choices verge on emotional abuse ! If you want to give your child a daft nickname , fair enough ... but give them a usable legal name ! Doctor River Rocket Oliver wouldn't be my First choice for open heart surgery and PC Buddy Bear Oliver might have problems arresting criminals who can't stop laughing.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jun 18, 04:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

Exactly. Pet names and nicknames are one thing (I like those, especially as they tend to have some personal origin relating directly to the individual), but, as formal names they sound like the parents think they're naming possessions rather than separate and individual human beings.

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 18, 12:38 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Bianca View Post
Congratulations to you and Poot on cleaning up the mower and cutting the grass. I, actually, quite enjoy mowing the lawn (and the shower afterwards is heavenly). I did, once, bring something like this into the house behind my ear, though.

Supervillain Jamie Oliver is just a (relatively) light-hearted personal opinion. He might be a really nice guy, but his penchant for insisting how the rest of us should live irks! Especially, when his sons are named Buddy Bear Maurice and River Rocket Blue Dallas.

P.S. Thank you for explaining "porky"; that makes sense now.
I am a bug magnet - I feel your pain.

And AH - I see. As someone who HAS a stupid name, I feel strongly about not giving children stupid names.

When I was in my early twenties, I did mental health intake for an HMO. The vast (VAST) majority of kids seen for psych services had crazy names.

I pointed this out to one of the psychiatrists - and he said something like, "Even from their first days mixing with other kids - they're having to explain themselves. From the very beginning they feel different and excluded."

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
I believe in France you used to not be able to choose any name but one from a prescribed very long list . I think they have the right idea , some name choices verge on emotional abuse ! If you want to give your child a daft nickname , fair enough ... but give them a usable legal name ! Doctor River Rocket Oliver wouldn't be my First choice for open heart surgery and PC Buddy Bear Oliver might have problems arresting criminals who can't stop laughing.
Amen, sister!

I love funny family nicknames (I know I've written about my [male] cousin whom we all call "Little Miss Wisconsin") - but it has been challenging for me to be taken seriously - professionally - with my daft Christian name.

PS: Not fishing for reassurance, here. It IS daft.

Exactly. Pet names and nicknames are one thing (I like those, especially as they tend to have some personal origin relating directly to the individual), but, as formal names they sound like the parents think they're naming possessions rather than separate and individual human beings.
I used to say (and I wasn't really joking) that children should come pre-named - like Cabbage Patch Dolls.

If you want to be "unique" - then be unique yourself. Don't use an innocent child to make your point.

Edited at 12:40 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 18, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I don't think April is a daft name ... unless your maiden name was showers !
What would you have chosen for yourself ?

I sometimes wish my name could only be spelt one way mind you ... and don't get me started on parents who choose a nice normal name and then spell it "in a fresh and original style"

My nearly step daughter has K names for all her kids ... some of the suggestions for the third were really "out there" fortunately she liked Kitty when I suggested it . The middle one has just decided she wants to be known by a nickname not because she hates her name but because of gender issues ... at 10 ! Interesting times ahead there but tbh we all saw it coming , if not quite so soon but better now than after starting high school I guess. Apparently there's four of them in the same situation starting in September that the new school already know about, which is a bit mind boggling. I just hope the school handle it better than they did ASD when my son was a student there and I worked there. (He didn't stay two years was enough for both of us !)

Edited at 01:02 PM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 18, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post

I don't think April is a daft name ... unless your maiden name was showers !
What would you have chosen for yourself ?

I sometimes wish my name could only be spelt one way mind you ... and don't get me started on parents who choose a nice normal name and then spell it "in a fresh and original style"

My nearly step daughter has K names for all her kids ... some of the suggestions for the third were really "out there" fortunately she liked Kitty when I suggested it . The middle one has just decided she wants to be known by a nickname not because she hates her name but because of gender issues ... at 10 ! Interesting times ahead there but tbh we all saw it coming , if not quite so soon but better now than after starting high school I guess. Apparently there's four of them in the same situation starting in September that the new school already know about, which is a bit mind boggling. I just hope the school handle it better than they did ASD when my son was a student there and I worked there. (He didn't stay two years was enough for both of us !)
Maiden name, indeed. As if I would have given up my outstanding Irish surname for R.C.'s French one!

And as to my Christian name, it's too late to think about alternatives now! But there are some lovely ladies' names in my extended family...I could have been named after one of my wonderful grandmothers or aunties...Audrey, Adele, Helen, Dorothy, Grace, etc...

Still, it could have been worse - I went to school with a girl called Ambrosia.

And now I must confess to being baffled...how else does one spell "Rachel"?

As to the stupid spellings of normal names - I know I mentioned earlier in this thread that I have a cousin called Katie (spelled KAYTEE). She and I used to commiserate that we could never find novelty keychains with our names on them.

And I once worked with a chap called Scott (spelled SCOTT). He decided about two years into the job that he wanted everybody to start spelling his name SKOT.

People are funny, my friend.
Old 10 Jun 18, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Rachael, Racheal, Rochelle, Raquel, Raychell, Rachelle,Raechel,
I spell it simply but no people like to complicate things (and I was named after my grandmother)

I belong to A very age specific group and we are all pretty much the same age within a year or two and it makes me realise just how names do go in fashions as so many of them are Karens and Debbies.

Edited at 02:09 PM.
Old 10 Jun 18, 04:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

Originally Posted by GopherLass View Post
I am a bug magnet - I feel your pain.

And AH - I see. As someone who HAS a stupid name, I feel strongly about not giving children stupid names.

When I was in my early twenties, I did mental health intake for an HMO. The vast (VAST) majority of kids seen for psych services had crazy names.

I pointed this out to one of the psychiatrists - and he said something like, "Even from their first days mixing with other kids - they're having to explain themselves. From the very beginning they feel different and excluded."

Amen, sister!

I love funny family nicknames (I know I've written about my [male] cousin whom we all call "Little Miss Wisconsin") - but it has been challenging for me to be taken seriously - professionally - with my daft Christian name.

PS: Not fishing for reassurance, here. It IS daft.

I used to say (and I wasn't really joking) that children should come pre-named - like Cabbage Patch Dolls.

If you want to be "unique" - then be unique yourself. Don't use an innocent child to make your point.
If you're a man bug magnet, how do you cope in Minnesota in the summer? I'm sure I've heard that the state 'bird' is the mosquito?!

Maybe, April is viewed differently as a name in the UK. It doesn't seem weird or stupid to me. I don't come across it often, but it's no Chandelier or Petticoat! And certainly not in the same league as Buddy Bear!

Names are a minefield, but they definitely shouldn't be so much at the whim of parents not thinking it all the way through. I know language and trends evolve and change, but, still, this is VERY interesting: -

I pointed this out to one of the psychiatrists - and he said something like, [I]"Even from their first days mixing with other kids - they're having to explain themselves. From the very beginning they feel different and excluded."

"Unique" spellings just suggest you didn't know how to spell the names in the first place! Kaytee? That must be so frustrating for her at times. Everyone wants their personalised key-ring or pencil from the gift shop!

My first name isn't one that gets confused or attracts weird and wonderful spellings, but lots of people are presumptuous in wanting to shorten it to what they want to call me. Close friends and family are one thing, but other than that, it's my name! I decide!

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside

Edited at 04:45 PM.
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 18, 07:21 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsSilverStar
Imagineer

I am surprisingly pleased that I will forever be associated with the word 'slattern' in your mind April I've just come back from a weekend with my Irish family...my house now looks fit for surgical procedures by comparison!

Now I have to confess that I have a big soft spot for Jamie Oliver - I know he's preachy but I actually quite like that and think someone has to do it sometimes...remember when he banned turkey twizzlers from school dinners and parents started shoving Big Macs through the railings for their kids? !

My brother has a VERY Irish name that no one can spell in England - he once got lost in a supermarket as a small child and gave a fake name he seems more accepting of it these days! I also don't think April is a weird name...were you born in April or is it unconnected?
MrsSilverStar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 18, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

Originally Posted by MrsSilverStar View Post
...Now I have to confess that I have a big soft spot for Jamie Oliver - I know he's preachy but I actually quite like that and think someone has to do it sometimes...remember when he banned turkey twizzlers from school dinners and parents started shoving Big Macs through the railings for their kids? ! ...

*Steps away from the post quickly*

Old 10 Jun 18, 10:21 PM  
Link to this Post

Rachael, Racheal, Rochelle, Raquel, Raychell, Rachelle,Raechel,
I spell it simply but no people like to complicate things (and I was named after my grandmother)

I belong to A very age specific group and we are all pretty much the same age within a year or two and it makes me realise just how names do go in fashions as so many of them are Karens and Debbies.
I know I've told you this before - but I lived for many years in a Jewish neighbourhood - where I think half the women and girls were called Rachel (or Ruchel).

Interesting about Karens and Debbies...I can't think of any under 50, now that you mention it. But I did recently meet a teenage girl called Gladys.

If you're a man bug magnet, how do you cope in Minnesota in the summer? I'm sure I've heard that the state 'bird' is the mosquito?!

Maybe, April is viewed differently as a name in the UK. It doesn't seem weird or stupid to me. I don't come across it often, but it's no Chandelier or Petticoat! And certainly not in the same league as Buddy Bear!

Names are a minefield, but they definitely shouldn't be so much at the whim of parents not thinking it all the way through. I know language and trends evolve and change, but, still, this is VERY interesting: -

I pointed this out to one of the psychiatrists - and he said something like, [I]"Even from their first days mixing with other kids - they're having to explain themselves. From the very beginning they feel different and excluded."

"Unique" spellings just suggest you didn't know how to spell the names in the first place! Kaytee? That must be so frustrating for her at times. Everyone wants their personalised key-ring or pencil from the gift shop!

My first name isn't one that gets confused or attracts weird and wonderful spellings, but lots of people are presumptuous in wanting to shorten it to what they want to call me. Close friends and family are one thing, but other than that, it's my name! I decide!

Are you willing to share your Christian name with us?

I really like knowing the actual names of the ladies in the thread.

Poot - who does have a proper, "normal" name as well as several mad nicknames - was thrilled to find me an "April" Transformers keychain at Universal last year - and he was QUITE disappointed that I didn't buy it.

Why Transformers? No generic Universal ones, no Dr. Seuss, no Kong...just Transformers...

As for mosquitos, you are right. I have to bathe in DEET or stay inside. SIX BITES from my 90 minutes in the garden today. And that's WITH bug spray and long sleeves and trousers.

Originally Posted by MrsSilverStar View Post
I am surprisingly pleased that I will forever be associated with the word 'slattern' in your mind April I've just come back from a weekend with my Irish family...my house now looks fit for surgical procedures by comparison!

Now I have to confess that I have a big soft spot for Jamie Oliver - I know he's preachy but I actually quite like that and think someone has to do it sometimes...remember when he banned turkey twizzlers from school dinners and parents started shoving Big Macs through the railings for their kids? !

My brother has a VERY Irish name that no one can spell in England - he once got lost in a supermarket as a small child and gave a fake name he seems more accepting of it these days! I also don't think April is a weird name...were you born in April or is it unconnected?
I was born in October.

And OK, you know I don't watch much telly - but even I heard about the turkey twizzlers. It seemed to me like that whole story seemed as if it HAD TO HAVE BEEN exaggerated for TV.

Working class Northern parents versus rich Southern know-it-all. Tune in tonight at ten!

My brother has a VERY Irish name that no one can spell in England - he once got lost in a supermarket as a small child and gave a fake name...

Oh, your poor brother! I do love ethnic names, but there's a lot to be said for thinking ahead to the child's experience WITH that ethnic name in another country. One of my schoolfriends was called Snezhana...she used to wait for the teacher on the first day of school EVERY YEAR so that she could intercept said teacher and ask him to please call her "Sally".

Ooh, in more name news...I was watching the track and field this morning while I jogged on my treadmill - and one of the runners was called Infinite Tucker.

Not one Tucker, not two Tuckers - not even a whole family of Tuckers. But INFINITE Tucker.

Imagine crying that out in the heat of passion..."Oh, Infinite!"

*Steps away from the post quickly*

Tell us how you really feel.