Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 12 Jun 18, 06:13 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
Two of my cousins have Rachel as a middle name (the Jewish convention is you can only name a child after a deceased relative never a living one so names tend to skip a generation) and one of my middle names is the femine version of my Uncle's name who died shortly before I was born (yes two middle names and a fairly long originally Lithuanian maiden name ... what were my parents thinking !)

As for song lyrics ... whenever Grease pops up on TV we all sing along to "You're the wobbly dog"

I once had the experience of teaching a kid whose parents despite giving him a nice bog standard name insisted the poor kid was known at school as "Buster" ... no wonder he had behaviour issues !
Is "You're the wobbly dog" "You're the One that I Want"?

It's donkey's years (dog's years?) since I've seen Grease...sitting here I can only think of "You're the One that I Want" and the truly dreadful "Stranded at the Drive-in".

And...

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
“This is the doggy moggy age of Aquarius”...

I have a friend who was an adult before she knew it was "Christ Our Royal Master...Leads Against the Foe!"

...rather than:

"Christ Our Royal Master...Leans Against the 'Phone!"

Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
Maybe Raider was a pseudonym for the internet? I hope.

I think Jessica is recognized as a name most places I go, but it isn't a name everywhere. When I go to Mexico I get called "Yessica" (oddly I thought it would sound more Hessica, but it doesn't, I think it is because they are trying to use a different J sound to match an American name? I don't know.)

We found that if I write my name on the dive gear tags as "Yessica" then most of the time it gets me called Jessica; but occasionally someone will think "she's American- the Y sounds different there" and then I still get called Yessica.
No, not an internet pseudonym. That's what I assumed at first...but no. I dearly hope that child ends up a burly rugby player, because otherwise...oh, my.

One of my cousins is married to a woman whose Christian name is a synonym for "beautiful". She once told me that she cursed her parents during her spotty, awkward teenage years.

I like "Yessica" - mostly because it lends itself EXCELLENTLY to some outstanding puns.

Can she?

That's right...Yes-si-can.

Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
Ah, then this one wasn't so bad. It was mostly pineapple, which is typically one of my favorite fruits (sometimes you get some really bland pineapple.)

Speaking of bland fruit- my husband just got back from Mexico- he has been raving about the amazing bananas there. And it is so true. A banana in Mexico is one of the greatest foods I've ever eaten. It's the eat local thing? Food that isn't picked too early so that it can be shipped just tastes a million times better.
So true. English strawberries are delicious beyond description...but things like avocado and pineapple have to be picked so under-ripe to be shipped here that you can't even taste them.

When I was a wee girl, an older lass told me that there were worms in bananas...and I've not eaten one since. Despite the fact that I KNOW there aren't worms in bananas. Just to touch a discarded banana peel is almost more than I can manage.

That fruit-y photo did make me laugh. What do you think the other people at your table were thinking?

I would have tried to explain...

Well, so I belong to this travel website -

- and there's this woman -

- and she was at Disney World -

- and she got a fruit cup -

- and there was only one grape -

- and ANYWAY -

- erm...maybe you had to be there.

Edited at 01:47 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 18, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

Originally Posted by GopherLass View Post
So true. English strawberries are delicious beyond description...but things like avocado and pineapple have to be picked so under-ripe to be shipped here that you can't even taste them.

When I was a wee girl, an older lass told me that there were worms in bananas...and I've not eaten one since. Despite the fact that I KNOW there aren't worms in bananas. Just to touch a discarded banana peel is almost more than I can manage.

That fruit-y photo did make me laugh. What do you think the other people at your table were thinking?

I would have tried to explain...

Well, so I belong to this travel website -

- and there's this woman -

- and she was at Disney World -

- and she got a fruit cup -

- and there was only one grape -

- and ANYWAY -

- erm...maybe you had to be there.

I just got back from Sainsbury's, where I noticed their "ready to eat" fruit cups ...and found myself looking to see if there was more than one grape. (This thread, it be in my head! )

...There was, by the way. Sainsbury's shoppers can breathe easy.

Also, Raider?!

P.S. I like the sound of the Mexican banana. One of my favourite MK snacks is the pineapple spear from Aloha Isle.

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside

Edited at 08:45 PM.
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 18, 08:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

Are you willing to share your Christian name with us?

I really like knowing the actual names of the ladies in the thread.

Poot - who does have a proper, "normal" name as well as several mad nicknames - was thrilled to find me an "April" Transformers keychain at Universal last year - and he was QUITE disappointed that I didn't buy it.

Why Transformers? No generic Universal ones, no Dr. Seuss, no Kong...just Transformers...

As for mosquitos, you are right. I have to bathe in DEET or stay inside. SIX BITES from my 90 minutes in the garden today. And that's WITH bug spray and long sleeves and trousers.
Do you solemnly swear still to call me Bianca on the forum?

You should have snapped up that April Transformers keyring! ...Or not!

Re. The buzzy beasts: I find B1 and Avon Skin So Soft/Citronella essential oil very effective.

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside

Edited at 12:46 AM.
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 18, 10:45 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Bianca View Post

I just got back from Sainsbury's, where I noticed their "ready to eat" fruit cups ...and found myself looking to see if there was more than one grape. (This thread, it be in my head! )

...There was, by the way. Sainsbury's shoppers can breathe easy.

Also, Raider?!

P.S. I like the sound of the Mexican banana. One of my favourite MK snacks is the pineapple spear from Aloha Isle.
We'll have to keep an eye on those Sainsbury's fruit cups now that Sainsbury's is merging with ASDA... 🤨🤨

PS: Liz told me that they're each going to keep their own names - but I was really hoping that they'd rebrand as Asbury's - then Bruce Springsteen could sing the jingles!

Do you solemnly swear still to call me Bianca on the forum?

You should have snapped up that April Transformers keyring! ...Or not!

Re. The buzzy beasts: I find B1 and Avon Skin So Soft/Citronella essential oil very effective.
I CANNOT swear to that. But having met several of the ladies in person now, I am incapable of thinking of them by their internet aliases...and since I rather think of you as part of that group...ah, you know what I mean.

Guess we'll have to be content to live in ignorance. Won't be the first time for me.

It occurred to me (later, as always) that I should photograph all the "April" bits I see. It would make a cute scrapbook page. Because I'm not trading my Thomas Jefferson keychain for a TRANSFORMERS one - no way!

And thanks for the tips - I have tried all those...but only the toxic DEET works for me so far.
Old 13 Jun 18, 04:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

...I was really hoping that they'd rebrand as Asbury's - then Bruce Springsteen could sing the jingles!
Brilliant idea! I wouldn't mind shopping to a bit of Bruce, as well.

I CANNOT swear to that. But having met several of the ladies in person now, I am incapable of thinking of them by their internet aliases...and since I rather think of you as part of that group...ah, you know what I mean.

Guess we'll have to be content to live in ignorance. Won't be the first time for me.

It occurred to me (later, as always) that I should photograph all the "April" bits I see. It would make a cute scrapbook page. Because I'm not trading my Thomas Jefferson keychain for a TRANSFORMERS one - no way!

And thanks for the tips - I have tried all those...but only the toxic DEET works for me so far.
That's a shame; I was all set to PM you. ...But I do understand it could be hard not to slip!

Thomas Jefferson, Transformers. Thomas Jefferson, Transformers... Fair enough!

Oh and I've been meaning to ask you, how did you go about learning a foreign language as an adult? The way it is taught in schools didn't seem to leave any of us anywhere near fluent. There has to be a better - more natural - way.

Oh (again) and as I'm always interested in new meal inspirations, I was wondering where you and R.C. landed between traditional English (which has never been my taste) and American cooking? Or have you ended up somewhere different altogether?

...Pandora-style!

Edited at 04:36 PM.
Old 13 Jun 18, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post

Brilliant idea! I wouldn't mind shopping to a bit of Bruce, as well.

That's a shame; I was all set to PM you. ...But I do understand it could be hard not to slip!

Thomas Jefferson, Transformers. Thomas Jefferson, Transformers... Fair enough!

Oh and I've been meaning to ask you, how did you go about learning a foreign language as an adult? The way it is taught in schools didn't seem to leave any of us anywhere near fluent. There has to be a better - more natural - way.

Oh (again) and as I'm always interested in new meal inspirations, I was wondering where you and R.C. landed between traditional English (which has never been my taste) and American cooking? Or have you ended up somewhere different altogether?

...Pandora-style!
Don't take any language tips from me. I only learned as an adult because I had to. Nobody in our village speaks English - so it was learn French or be totally isolated for 5 months of the year!

R.C. learned (also as an adult) by going to one of those immersive language schools. He did six weeks (I think) in Montpelier many years ago.

Do you have Sky? One of R.C.'s cousins learned French from TV5! She didn't let herself watch any other telly - just TV5 - for a year. It actually worked pretty well.

As for cooking, R.C. doesn't cook (remember my hob). At all. If I am not here, he eats the same thing for dinner every night: half a lettuce, a tomato, sliced meat and cheese - and a piece of fruit. Every night.

I occasionally make Irish food or Norwegian food (as I am half Irish and half Norwegian); but I cook a wide variety of cuisines. Nepalese, Ethiopian and Lebanese are my favourites. Americans come from everywhere...so American food is everything. My best girlfriend in high school was half Scottish and half Lebanese - I learned some great recipes from her.

Unless you mean things like nuggets...I'm afraid I'm with Jamie Oliver on that kind of stuff.

Though, to be frank - if I didn't have the men to cook for - I wouldn't bother. I'd rather read a novel than cook.

AND over to you...

What Welsh delicacies do you rustle up over the Taff?

And we can only assume that you must be famous - since you don't want to share your name. Famous and Welsh...I'll have to think on who you really are...probably shouldn't admit that the only Welsh ladies I can think of right now are Charlotte Church and the woman from Catatonia - oh, and the one married to Michael Douglas...

Is this you?

Old 14 Jun 18, 02:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

R.C. learned (also as an adult) by going to one of those immersive language schools. He did six weeks (I think) in Montpelier many years ago.

Do you have Sky? One of R.C.'s cousins learned French from TV5! She didn't let herself watch any other telly - just TV5 - for a year. It actually worked pretty well.

Thanks for that. It's about developing an ear for a new language. You've got me thinking...

As for cooking, R.C. doesn't cook (remember my hob). At all. If I am not here, he eats the same thing for dinner every night: half a lettuce, a tomato, sliced meat and cheese - and a piece of fruit. Every night.

Unless you mean things like nuggets...

Ah yes, the jam debacle! No jam roly-poly, then!

You haven't added any smiley faces, but I'm going to assume that last part is a joke!

No Welsh inspiration food-wise. I didn't grow up with anything overly traditional, Welsh, or British generally. Luckily, I didn't have to endure any of the foods mentioned on the latest childhood thread on General Chat.

And we can only assume that you must be famous - since you don't want to share your name. Famous and Welsh...I'll have to think on who you really are...probably shouldn't admit that the only Welsh ladies I can think of right now are Charlotte Church and the woman from Catatonia - oh, and the one married to Michael Douglas...

Is this you?...

No!

You missed off Tom Jones, Shirley Bassey, Rhys Ifans, Anthony Hopkins, Michael Sheen, Bonnie Tyler, all of the Manic Street Preachers and Shakin' Stevens!

Old 14 Jun 18, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post

You missed off Tom Jones, Shirley Bassey, Rhys Ifans, Anthony Hopkins, Michael Sheen, Bonnie Tyler, all of the Manic Street Preachers and Shakin' Stevens!
If you are Shirley Bassey, PLEASE message me so that I can arrange for you to autograph my Goldfinger 45!

PLEASE!

PS: I was only listing Welsh LADIES. I promise I know that Tom Jones and the Manics are Welsh.
Old 15 Jun 18, 12:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

What about Shaky?

P.S. I saw a clip of John Travolta on Jimmy Fallon doing a bit of the "You're the wobbly dog" dance!

Old 15 Jun 18, 01:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

I have to say that your idea of going to Florida after Monteal was very sensible. Those APs won't enjoy themselves. It was also a service to us, your loyal readers and, I for one, appreciate your sacrifice decision!

Also, you had me at

...But, first, Miami. (You really did manage to fit in a lot on this trip. ) Thank goodness for Cousin Nap (you do attract house-guests ) and his enthusiastic hospitality; as well as whoever prompted the yellow phlegm language lesson.

Snoopy Vans! For Poot! Does he have the same Peanuts appreciation?

And...

...Snoopy on a denim dress? This is too much!

Mmmm... that Southern burger looks good. Also, I'm with you re. the salted caramel. It is everywhere, but it's so much nicer than the regular old unsalted variety!

I had to google oatmeal lace ice cream, but cinnamon with toffee on that buttery base might be worth ample "hills" (Reading your description had me singing, "The hills are alive", to myself! ). Whipped cream, though. Whipped cream ruins a good ice cream sundae IMO. (And as for a cherry on top - it's not the cherry on top! )

Shame about the boat horns, but great that you could see the Water Pageant from your balcony. "Unholy din" indeed!

Great Hallowe'en costumes. You would have made a fantastic Elliot, though. You can breathe fire, right?

Back later. xxx