Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 6 Jun 18, 09:34 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Originally Posted by GopherLass View Post
Reply to Day 8:

Food-wise, Citricos was our best-ever meal in WDW. Definitely try the Key Lime Pie next time - it's gorgeous.

I read *somewhere* that Whispering Canyon has nixed the hijinks due to noise complaints from guests staying in the main lodge. Even though we've never eaten there, (the menu just doesn't appeal to me...though that bison burger looked ) I feel sad to think that the ketchup game is no more.

Can't help but wonder if it will affect the bookings...do you think most folks go for the food - or for the fun?
You know for some reason I was convinced that you had a bad experience at Citricos. I think because you had such bad luck with so many restaurants I just tarred them all with the same brush!

I definitely think Whispering Canyon Cafe will be affected. We never cared for the hi-jinks but I understand the appeal for others.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 18, 02:35 PM  
Link to this Post

Reply to Day 9:

OOH, my pet hate - waiters who find out you won't be boozing and then disappear!

I've not booked Jiko this year...and was feeling sad about it until I read this. For two credits each I would not have been impressed.

Have you ever done any of the culinary tours at AKL? Now that the SOTMK cards are framed and on the wall, we have extra time to try new things.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jun 18, 12:43 AM  
Link to this Post
rscxox
slightly serious Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 4
Mobile

Just caught up with this, fab report! You certainly got your money’s worth are you doing the deluxe dining plan again this year? We fly out the day before yous, so close to DD day! X
POR, Cabana Bay & OKW - Aug/Sep 2017, Cabana Bay - January 2018, All-Star Sports - September 2018, POFQ & HRH Nov/Dec 2018, Yacht Club, Sapphire Falls, Miami and New York September 2019, Pop & AOA December 2021, POR & HRH September 2022, Pop Century May 2023, Disneyland California October 2023, COMING UP: Caribbean Beach May 2024
rscxox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 18, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Reply to Day 9:

OOH, my pet hate - waiters who find out you won't be boozing and then disappear!

I've not booked Jiko this year...and was feeling sad about it until I read this. For two credits each I would not have been impressed.

Have you ever done any of the culinary tours at AKL? Now that the SOTMK cards are framed and on the wall, we have extra time to try new things.
I've seen a few poor reviews of Jiko recently We haven't done any of the culinary tour, I think that would a little bit out of Nik's comfort zone. Sad news that SOTMK has been retired.

Originally Posted by rscxox View Post
Just caught up with this, fab report! You certainly got your money’s worth are you doing the deluxe dining plan again this year? We fly out the day before yous, so close to DD day! X
Thank you for reading! Isn't it crazy that's we're almost in DD?! It makes it feel so much closer but I really loathe to wish the summer away. We are doing Deluxe again this year, I was quite against it originally but kept adding 'just one more ADR' and in the end went for it!
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 18, 08:18 PM  
Link to this Post

Reply to Day 10:

Heavens to Betsy! What is going on with that sorbet plate at Tiffins?! It looks like...

We've booked the ROL package, too. I am VERY much looking forward to it. Hoping we can arrange to get the Kobe Brisket Poutine (from Nomad Lounge) as either a starter or a main...I'm going to make a note to ask for Mark - in the hopes that his friendliness will help. 🤞

How did you find the Club at AKL?
Old 28 Jun 18, 10:32 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Reply to Day 10:

Heavens to Betsy! What is going on with that sorbet plate at Tiffins?! It looks like...

We've booked the ROL package, too. I am VERY much looking forward to it. Hoping we can arrange to get the Kobe Brisket Poutine (from Nomad Lounge) as either a starter or a main...I'm going to make a note to ask for Mark - in the hopes that his friendliness will help. 🤞

How did you find the Club at AKL?
Sorry I’ve been a bad Dibber just disappearing

Do let us know how you get on with the Nomad dish, if you get Mark I am certain he will be accommodating.

We really didn’t get the benefit of Club as we only had one night. This sounds ridiculous but I felt like if we were to make the most of it everyone would somehow know we had been upgraded and we didn’t belong. I really wanted to go in the morning when Nik was still asleep but I know he’d have been mad if I went without him, I should have gone and just left him oblivious!

If you get the chance look out Stewboy’s ‘Club Africana, Drinks Are Free’ trip report. They really made the most of Club Level at AKL and I’d definitely say it’s worth the money, although only if you don’t have the dining plan.
Old 29 Jun 18, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Wobbles
VIP Dibber

Wobbles's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Brilliant, Brilliant report, thanks for sharing

Trip Reports
Howling @ the Horror 2015 (Complete)
Who knew Toronto was on the Med (Complete)
Getting Our Kicks - Pre Trippie
Wobbles is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 18, 03:58 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
Brilliant, Brilliant report, thanks for sharing
Thank you Emma!

Our trips are going to cross over
Old 2 Jul 18, 08:38 AM  
Link to this Post

Reply to Day 11

OOH! Mini bagels! What I haven't learned from this trippie, I tell you.

I don't want to eat an entire bagel - they're so bad for you and so heavy...but a MINI bagel...now THAT I could do. Must keep my eyes peeled.

But I'm sad about that grilled cheese sandwich. Disney and I disagree about sandwiches. THEY say:

BREAD
filling
BREAD

but we all know it should be:

bread
FILLING
bread

Bread is cheaper than cheese, though.

Interesting to hear about your Tusker House neighbours. On our first visit to Boma (2012) - our neighbours (a big family) were only eating nuggets and mac 'n' cheese. After they left, our lovely South African waitress told me that - in her observation - at least half the guests are the same. HOW?!

We hardly ever went out to restaurants when I was a kid - so I can remember VIVIDLY the couple of times we got to go to buffets. It was like Heaven! So much choice!

Kids today, grumble grumble…
Old 2 Jul 18, 06:16 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Reply to Day 11

OOH! Mini bagels! What I haven't learned from this trippie, I tell you.

I don't want to eat an entire bagel - they're so bad for you and so heavy...but a MINI bagel...now THAT I could do. Must keep my eyes peeled.

But I'm sad about that grilled cheese sandwich. Disney and I disagree about sandwiches. THEY say:

BREAD
filling
BREAD

but we all know it should be:

bread
FILLING
bread

Bread is cheaper than cheese, though.

Interesting to hear about your Tusker House neighbours. On our first visit to Boma (2012) - our neighbours (a big family) were only eating nuggets and mac 'n' cheese. After they left, our lovely South African waitress told me that - in her observation - at least half the guests are the same. HOW?!

We hardly ever went out to restaurants when I was a kid - so I can remember VIVIDLY the couple of times we got to go to buffets. It was like Heaven! So much choice!

Kids today, grumble grumble…
I did notice that the new grilled sandwiches at Andy's Lunch Box were a bit heavy on the bread too. However, the grilled cheese at Beaches & Cream (this is Nik’s favourite one) isn’t anywhere near as bread-y as others I’ve seen. He also had one at Whispering Canyon Café a few years ago that had a description very similar to the Las Ventanas one, which used ‘normal’ bread but that’s not on the menu anymore.

Disney buffet prices are Why oh why would you go and just eat mac and cheese and nuggets?!