Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 20 Jan 22, 01:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Lloydy21
New Poster (2)

Going to Disney/Universal for the first time - Help!

Hey everyone,

So I am planning a trip to Florida with my fiancé at the end of April. We have been trying to organise this for ages but due to covid have put it on hold for the last 2 years.

The plan is to go for 2 weeks with the first 7 days staying in a Disney hotel and the second 7 days staying in a universal hotel (for early access to the parks).

I am planning on booking this all myself as travel agent packages have been astronomical and I’ve already done some comparisons by booking separately and saved over £2,000!

What I am hoping for is a little bit of advice on hotels and food. In both cases I am looking to keep this as cheap as possible but open to suggestions. Any other advice on other aspects of the trip would be also greatly appreciated.

In regards to tickets, I would be looking at purchasing the Ultimate 14-day ticket from AttractionTickets giving access to all parks.

Thank you for all your great advice in advance.

Chris
Lloydy21 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 22, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post
rafjen
Apprentice Imagineer

rafjen's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
I would probably consider spending slightly longer at Disney and less at universal - Disney has more parks. We love universal so would give it a good few days. 10/4 or 9/5 split is what I would suggest. We love the premium universal hotels as they include express passes. Price up club rooms if you like an evening drink or two. Royal pacific and hard rock are both great. However they are expensive I know a lot of people like Aventura for couples- as they say its more adult themed.
At Disney we have only stayed at French Quarter but it was great- small resort one bus stop- mickey beignets were fab. Depending on your budget the sky liner resorts are worth a look to give you better transport links. Pop and A of A (mermaid room) would be my choice on a budget. April can be busy due to Easter holidays and spring break in America.
rafjen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 22, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

End of April should be better crowd wise, as Spring break is mostly in March and the Easter crowds will be over. I'd agree to look at a different split for more days at Disney, I'd personally do 10/4 but depends how many of the Universal attractions appeal. If you like the look of their rides more than Disney's, perhaps 9/5.

The cheapest Disney resort will be one of the All Stars and they're a decent choice as recently refurbished. If you have slightly more budget, Pop Century would be my recommendation for the Skyliner access as it will cut down the amount of time you spend on buses to the parks. Also check the partner resorts, places like Wyndham Garden usually aren't very expensive and come with all the same perks as a value resort such as early entry and all day shuttles to the parks. Good location too, walkable to Disney Springs for various food options.

For Universal, I'd just stick with one of the Endless Summer resorts unless you can get a good price on Aventura. Even with only 5 or so days there, you'll have enough time to get around all the attractions without Express passes.

For budget food, pack things like cereal and snacks in your cases. They're cheaper here anyway and it gives you room for souvenirs on the return. You can also do a grocery delivery order to your resort for things like milk and drinks from Walmart, Amazon Fresh, Instacart, etc. At Disney, they will deliver to Bell Services so you can arrange this for the day you arrive and then just pick it up. Although you need to be present for delivery if ordering alcohol or other age restricted items, they won't accept that on your behalf. Anything else should be fine though.

Edited at 01:47 PM.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 22, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitchesmumanddad
VIP Dibber

I recommend 10 days Disney All stars Music. You simply cannot get the same off site. The prices are very decent too. I stayed there 2 nights before my DVC accommodation. You really DO need the early entry. Plus with loads of Disney buses - you dont need a car. The refurbed rooms are super too, and have a fridge.

4 days at Endless Summer surfside with early entry to the parks and buses - no need for a car.

Both value resorts, but a decent amount of perks.

If you can travel midweek. Flights are cheaper.

BA sale is on and some decent prices.

Im here right now and loving it !