Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 16 Jan 22, 09:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by amy56 View Post
Is that not normal then?

When I was looking at putting in a claim through nationwide (I managed to get the money back myself so didn’t proceed), the insurance people gave me the underwriters number to discuss the claim further. I just assumed that was normal?
We had a claim through Axa in 2020 and didn’t deal with anyone but the claims handlers.

Only had one other claim prior to that, same process, claims handlers only.
Bellasmummy is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 22, 10:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

We had a claim in 2019 and also only dealt with the underwriter.

I think this is standard and wouldn't be put off

Edited at 01:58 PM.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 22, 12:18 PM  
Link to this Post
pluto99
Very Serious Dibber

just spoke to staysure its taking up to 2 weeks to look at cases so another week before they will look at our claim
pluto99 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 22, 12:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Pupbelly
Very Serious Dibber

Gives you a timeline I suppose. Keep a diary of your communication though….just in case 😉
Pupbelly is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 22, 01:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by amy56 View Post
Is that not normal then?

When I was looking at putting in a claim through nationwide (I managed to get the money back myself so didn’t proceed), the insurance people gave me the underwriters number to discuss the claim further. I just assumed that was normal?
The underwriting insurance company might handle the claim or they might not. Both are fairly normal arrangements. In a way it is two separate business deals between companies, 1) they have agreed to underwrite business and 2) they may also agree to handle the claims.

I am actually a bit surprised that Staysure, which on the face of it is a business providing insurance, has not kept their claims handling in-house. I am less surprised that Nationwide has made a business arrangement so that the underwriter they have engaged with also handles the claims, as insurance is not their core business.
Claudette is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 22, 07:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Midsummer
Imagineer

As far as I'm concerned insurance companies will do anything they can to get out of paying out. This is our experience over the last two years.

After 23 months of trying to get our travel insurance to pay out for the additional amount we had to pay out to get back from Australia in March 2020 also the parts of the holiday we were unable to take because of quarantine regulations we have eventually had to throw the towel in. We sent our case to the Financial Ombudsman and he has turned it down. The main reason is because the insurance policy doesn't have to name everything it doesn't cover so the fact that we weren't able to go to Singapore to transit isn't covered because the flight actually took place just not for transit passengers. Also according to the Ombudsman the outbound flight is covered but not the inbound. How can that be an all inclusive policy? We also tried to claim for our abandoned stay in Singapore on the way to OZ because of quarantine regulations in Oz. that isn't covered either.
We are quite entitled to not accept the decision and still go to the Small Claims Court. The letters and emails we have written would be enough to fill a small book. Getting this far has been draining and we don't have the energy to take it further. I'm sure this is what the Insurance Company rely upon.
So a warning to everyone when taking out a travel policy ring them up. record the conversation and ask them questions on all kinds of scenarios. We even took out the Gold policy but it hasn't helped us. I will never trust a travel insurance policy again. They have television programmes about people defrauding insurance companies, but none about them defrauding policy holders. The insurance companies tell us insurance is for the unexpected happening, well if this wasn't unexpected what the h*** is?
In case you are wondering the agents etc involved are Rothwell and Towler ho didn't even answer our letters when we were stranded in Oz, World First Travel whose web site I went to and Union Reiseversicherung AG who were in insurance company. Don't touch them, their policy isn't worth the paper it is written on.
Midsummer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 22, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
PopAlways
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Midsummer View Post
As far as I'm concerned insurance companies will do anything they can to get out of paying out. This is our experience over the last two years.

After 23 months of trying to get our travel insurance to pay out for the additional amount we had to pay out to get back from Australia in March 2020 also the parts of the holiday we were unable to take because of quarantine regulations we have eventually had to throw the towel in. We sent our case to the Financial Ombudsman and he has turned it down. The main reason is because the insurance policy doesn't have to name everything it doesn't cover so the fact that we weren't able to go to Singapore to transit isn't covered because the flight actually took place just not for transit passengers. Also according to the Ombudsman the outbound flight is covered but not the inbound. How can that be an all inclusive policy? We also tried to claim for our abandoned stay in Singapore on the way to OZ because of quarantine regulations in Oz. that isn't covered either.
We are quite entitled to not accept the decision and still go to the Small Claims Court. The letters and emails we have written would be enough to fill a small book. Getting this far has been draining and we don't have the energy to take it further. I'm sure this is what the Insurance Company rely upon.
So a warning to everyone when taking out a travel policy ring them up. record the conversation and ask them questions on all kinds of scenarios. We even took out the Gold policy but it hasn't helped us. I will never trust a travel insurance policy again. They have television programmes about people defrauding insurance companies, but none about them defrauding policy holders. The insurance companies tell us insurance is for the unexpected happening, well if this wasn't unexpected what the h*** is?
In case you are wondering the agents etc involved are Rothwell and Towler ho didn't even answer our letters when we were stranded in Oz, World First Travel whose web site I went to and Union Reiseversicherung AG who were in insurance company. Don't touch them, their policy isn't worth the paper it is written on.
That’s a catch all I wasn’t aware of! Doesn’t have to name everything it doesn’t cover?!
Even when you do the research you still don’t know how it will be until you claim. Trustpilot is full of 5* reviews saying how easy it was to get a quote or use the website or buy the policy. 🙄
As you say what exactly ARE you paying for? I’ve reached the point that I don’t care if I don’t get money back for things like lost baggage! I just want a two week holiday in Florida where if something serious medical happens, I get some support and don’t have to remortgage the house when I get home.
I’ll cross them off the list.
PopAlways is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 22, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitchesmumanddad
VIP Dibber

I hate insurance companies. I am always complaining to them and getting their decisions overturned and compensation paid to me to say sorry. They try every argument to avoid paying out and I continuously fight them.

I always read trustpilot reviews about claims handling, rather than cost of the policy etc
Old 24 Jan 22, 06:51 PM  
Link to this Post
pluto99
Very Serious Dibber

1 day short of 2 weeks since sending got an email wanting proof of vaccination and reference from us claim contact also they will be deducting the excess of £65 if its successful
pluto99 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 22, 07:17 PM  
Link to this Post
kermit1982
Excited about Disney

Cheers for the update!
kermit1982 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List