Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 29 Dec 21, 01:39 PM  
Link to this Post
lozzer
Having Dinner with Goofy

Think twice before buying points from a third party

I have bottled this up for long enough, I have lost £900 of points that I purchased from a long term Dibb member just before the first lockdown, I totally understand with all that has happened there would always be compilations in getting something back from DVC, but when you are in a situation where you have to rely on the owner of the points to fight your corner you would like to think he has done his best for you, unfortunately this hasn’t been the case.
I have messaged him asking him to message DVC to try to get something for the points I purchased but when that person isn’t very forthcoming with information it gets frustrating, I have tried to message him on the dibb but no luck and it now seems like he has blocked my texts, I have been nothing but polite during text messages and certainly haven’t pestered him but he has now cut off any way of communication the main reason I put my faith in this dibb member was because of the community spirit on here, i feel there are ways of going about resolving issues, this particular person certainly obviously didn’t feel the same way!
lozzer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 21, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

That does sound like a poor history of communication.( To those reading - it wasn't me!)

I had a couple of small bookings during the first lockdown that I refunded in full. The points were returned to me (as they are when you cancel a booking). I managed to resell the points(to US guests via Facebook) so make sure I didn't lose them, although I did take a hit on the rate as I sold them when there was a massive glut of points.

Disappointing that you couldn't get something from the Dibber.

Did you try to claim on your travel insurance for accommodation (I understand that if you mention point on the claim they will reject it, but if you use the words wisely you can get over that)

Edited at 02:26 PM.
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 21, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
OutbackAddict
Imagineer

Mobile

Sorry to hear you've had such a negative experience, we were very lucky in that although we understood the risks we took when we rented points, when our california trip was cancelled dibber marlouwrig couldn't have been more helpful and with the insurance attached to my bank account we ended up basically not loosing a penny on our cancelled holiday

Paul
OutbackAddict is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 21, 02:39 PM  
Link to this Post
OutbackAddict
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by 2point View Post
Did you try to claim on your travel insurance for accommodation (I understand that if you mention point on the claim they will reject it, but if you use the words wisely you can get over that)
My insurance was fine with a points booking as long as I supplied them with an appropriate invoice/receipt from who I rented the points off

Paul
OutbackAddict is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 21, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Big Ears
VIP Dibber

So sorry to read this. It’s always best to communicate. I do hope you get this resolved or atleast claim off your insurance. Take care.
Old 29 Dec 21, 03:02 PM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

I agree totally about communication - lack of it causes no amount of upset.

I’m not sure what DVC could of done about the situation though? They went above and beyond in extending the length of time the international guests could use their points. They didn’t have to do even this.

Do you mean that you had hoped the owner would try to get a US guest that could travel to take the booking and refund you the money? I would of certainly attempted to rent it out and pay you back, but I’m not sure DVC themselves could do anything to help?
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 21, 03:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Sorry I'm with Amy, I'm at a loss as to why DVC would give him/her/them anything back? The only thing they are giving them back is the points, you don't have any contract with DVC, they also have no part of your £900. Without knowing the specifics of the points it's hard to say, for instance ( & I'm not defending it) the owner has maybe lost the points, been unable to resell them. What were the terms of the contract? DVC was the first thing to re-open & unfortunately the fact that "we" couldn't get there until Nov this year is not DVC's fault IYKWIM
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 21, 03:25 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by lozzer View Post
I have messaged him asking him to message DVC to try to get something for the points I purchased
I’m afraid as the last 2 posters have said, this just isn’t how DVC works.

I can’t comment on your situation obviously but the owner you rented from may well have lost those points if they couldn’t find another renter & that’s the end of it, there’s no ‘getting anything back’ from DVC with this type of booking.

This is why most DVC rentals are non refundable.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 21, 03:28 PM  
Link to this Post
lozzer
Having Dinner with Goofy

I was just hoping the owner would keep me in the loop, it seems he had nothing to gain by sending DVC emails asking for a decision on if the points could be extended, so he kept our money with no intention of helping us.
lozzer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 21, 03:32 PM  
Link to this Post
lozzer
Having Dinner with Goofy

It’s nothing to do with how DVC works, it’s how the owner of the points either decides to try to help the best he can (as in his position I would of) or grab the money and run, I fully understand how it works with DVC