Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 18 Jan 22, 04:47 PM  
Link to this Post
CCFCRJ
Very Serious Dibber

Indirect or too much hassle

Hi, I'm just now booking flights for summer as relatively confident we'll be good to go. It's works out a lot cheaper to go indirect to Tampa and I've found a car very cheap from there in today's climate. Talking savings of around £1000 in total from going direct to Miami...and more like £2k more saving from Orlando direct.

Thing is I have two kids..3 and 7. How hard are indirect flights? Stop over on way around 2.5hrs, way back 1.5hrs. Outbound Boston and return Atlanta I think was best cost wise..but few options.

How much time is safe to transfer. Do you have to faff about with luggage. Is its just too much hassle!
CCFCRJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 22, 04:57 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Indirects aren't a huge hassle normally. You will need to collect bags in Boston to go through customs, but they should be tagged through to Tampa, so don't have to go through checking them in again. Just drop them on the connecting flights baggage belt after customs. Haven't done transit through Boston but it's normally well signposted.

A 2.5 hour connection might be pushing it depending if the flight is delayed and how long the immigration queue is. Same as any international airport, you could be through in minutes or you could arrive to a completely full hall and take ages to process. But as long as your onward flight isn't the last flight of the day, they should put you on the next flight if you do miss it.

Indirect return is very easy, baggage will be checked straight through so it's just walk off one plane and on to the next. 90 minutes is fine for that, allows for any delays on your first flight.

I don't personally fly indirect to Florida but I also don't go in August. I probably would choose indirect if I was looking at those flight prices. Silly money at the minute!
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 22, 05:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Jimsdadhalifax
Very Serious Dibber

As per the above - well worth doing indirect for the big savings.

We switched to indirect a few years ago due to the ever rising prices. The only time it was an issue was when we missed a connecting flight due to the security and immigration queues being an hour each. The airline just put us on the next flight about an hour later.

I would not do indirect if the first transfer was less than 2 hours but other than that the savings at peak time are well worth the inconvenience
Jimsdadhalifax is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 22, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
katnav
Apprentice Imagineer

We did indirect first time back in 2019 and all went to plan and was easier than I thought - outbound through Atlanta and inbound through JFK. We have booked indirect again for this Easter as it was just so much cheaper and the difference between going or not going so we have booked again this time through Philadelphia both ways. I did a bit of research before hand to get an idea of what the connection would be like at each airport so I felt a bit more prepared.
katnav is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 22, 08:11 PM  
Link to this Post
nothingless
Very Serious Dibber

Where we live (Amsterdam), direct flights to Orlando are like a unicorn - very rare and VERY expensive. So we always have to fly indirect, and we've done it with my DD at 2, 3, and soon when she is 5. We prefer to transfer through a US airport like you're doing, as you clear customs and it feels like you're already a bit on holiday as you're in the USA now! It's not a problem with the layovers you mentioned, those are decent airports and the time periods for the layover are just right, not too long or too short! I say go for it.
nothingless is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 22, 10:56 PM  
Link to this Post
51-a- good year
Apprentice Imagineer

did an indirect a couple of years ago - worth the saving and also the shorter immigration queue as only 10% of the plane were Brits as opposed to 95% at Orlando
51-a- good year is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 22, 11:05 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

The savings are good and the layovers not too bad. We got through Boston immigration and customs writhing 25 minutes from the aircraft door when we were there.

I guess that the key with your children is to treat the whole thing as an adventure, rather than a huge inconvenience. I oldish has covered things rather well.

Just think how far that £1000 saved will go once you get there. If you were considering Busch gardens whilst in Florida, there is a Hampton (complimentary breakfast) almost exactly opposite the front gate area. It might be worth considering doing BG before even getting to Orlando, thus saving you doing a return journey at a later date.

Your children may like the Giraffe Feed!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 22, 10:05 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We once saved £500 each (for 6 of us) going indirect in August. We went via Detroit and we reckon overall it didn't take much longer if you allow for immigration.
This was recommended by Bev on here.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 22, 10:50 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
We once saved £500 each (for 6 of us) going indirect in August. We went via Detroit and we reckon overall it didn't take much longer if you allow for immigration.
This was recommended by Bev on here.
Very much agree with this.

Costs and time are clearly the important factors. Costs are obvious, but time is more of a variable.

Yes, of course actual flight time is longer if you travel indirect instead of direct, but that is only a small part of the calculation.

As an example (and it is purely an illustration) say my direct is from LGW and my indirect from LHR via Atlanta.

OUTWARD LEG.
I have to travel up the night before as flights are generally AM and thus I will be hitting London around 1700 (Rush hour). To get to LHR, it is up the M4, turn off and straight to Bath Rd. I would anticipate no delays and make it in 5 hrs. Coming home will also be 5 hrs. 10 hrs easy easy.
For my direct from LGW, I have to drive past LHR, Negotiate the M25S and ten that dread ful bit down to Crawley.. 6.5 hrs going out ( hopefully) and 6 coming home (hopefully). Total is at least 12.5 by car.
The clock now stops.

Next morning after probably saving around £25 on Prem Inn Bath Rd over £55 at LGW N and then a further amount as Purple is generally cheaper than LGW Summer long stay.. I get up get in (free either way) and check in, bag drop (although I am generally hand baggage) , security and then flight.

Indirect, we will say 8 to Atlanta, 3 in Immigration/ Customs and to gate then 1.5 to MCO then .5 at most to exit the airport.… 13 hrs.
Direct 9.5 to MCO and then anything between 1.5 and 4 hrs to exit the Airport via Immigration and Customs. Remember that practically every pax is going through Immigration... let’s not be controversial and agree on an average 2.5… 12 hrs.

So far, to get on the Airport exit steps, I have taken 13 hrs plus 5 = 18 on the indirect and alternatively 12 plus 6.5 = 18.5! So far, indirect is winning on time and in addition, with that indirect flight, I can look at arriving Tampa with numerous different airlines, staying the night and doing BG next morning, thus saving on driving time, Key West, Miami, Daytona Beach and numerous other arriving points to fill my itinerary whilst cutting on driving during the vacation.

NOW WE GO HOME
well, you may well get a very cheap direct leg home. On BA, when buying a multi city ( indirect), the home leg is generally sub £150 in any case and even from MCO (no APD payable). but we will stick to indirects.

Indirect, MCO- ATL 1.5 hrs, 1 hr layover, then 8 to LHR plus an hour to get out of the terminal.. 11.5 hrs in total.. plus the car drive home of 5 hrs making it 16.5 hrs.

Direct 9 hrs due to tailwinds going E to W plus an hour in the terminal and then a 6 hour drive making it 16 hours.

Add out and back for the grand total of travelling time..
Indirect = 29.5 of movement door to door.
Direct = 28.5 hrs door to door.

NOW THE MONEY SAVINGS.
Where do I start?

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 22, 12:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Lozza
Very Serious Dibber

I was never a fan of indirect but I’ve come around the last few years (pre Covid obvs!).
Going in 3 weeks, Air Canada out via Toronto, United back via IAD, and it’s cost the same to go Premium economy with my 8yr old son as what BA wanted to go direct in economy. Virgin was even more expensive. No brainer.
I’ve transferred at Toronto before, it’s a breeze. Save the money and go indirect! 👌🏻
Lozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List