Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 18 May 19, 05:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Loretta
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by Ridersmom View Post
I agree that Chatham and Sandwich (isn't there a glass company there worth a visit?) are lovely. To me, Falmouth has some nice areas but also some very built up areas.

I love the Cape and when my kids weren't in school we would vacation in September and October-off season rates and the weather could be lovely.

I am always disappointed when people just go to Hyannis and then say they were disappointed in the Cape.
Sandwich still has a glass museum as well as Heritage Museum and Gardens. Falmouth has some great independent restaurants and our bike path is worth a visit.
Loretta is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 03:49 PM  
Link to this Post
folkie
Loves sailing in the sun!

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 170
If it's near your route a visit to Canterbury Shaker Village is a really interesting and peaceful break on a long car journey, we stopped off on our way from Brewster to the White Mountains.
91 Brittany 92 Scotland 93 France 94 France 95 Dartmouth 96 Moved house 97 Terra Mare (Greece) 98 Swanage 99 Yedi Tepe (Turkey) 00 Canada/Tunisia 01 Ottawa, Antigua/Bitez 02 DLP/Cornwall 03 Antigua/Gower 04 Ottawa/Croatia/Vendee 05 BVI/Hurghada 06 Javelin (Turkey) 07 Perili (Turkey) 08 Orlando 09 Rosas 10 Orlando 11 Les Deux Alpes 12 Morocco 13 Brittany 14 Vassiliki 15 Orlando 16 DLP/New England/Ottawa 17 Ionian
folkie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Wismgari
Imagineer

Originally Posted by CrispyA View Post
Sounds like a good trip. I would recommend longer in Acadia if you can - it is one of our favourite National Parks that we have visited and there is lots to do there. Personally, the Universities are okay but don’t necessarily take that long to see. We preferred MIT to Harvard but you don’t necessarily need all that long to visit them.
Point noted thanks - I will be playing around with the timings again before I start booking accommodation. Any suggestions of the best things to see in Acadia/ best hikes?

Originally Posted by amy56 View Post
We drove Mt Washington last summer, all the way back down are places to pull over to cool your brakes - whilst it seems OTT I would take advantage of every one - we just thought stopping a few times would be sufficient, but after a couple of breaks, our brakes started smoking and we then had to stop for a long period! Thankfully the car was fine afterwards, but we probably should of taken more stops - despite them seeming to pop up every couple of minutes! Lol!
This sounds terrifying! If we drive it I will definitely take your advice, thanks! Was it worth the stressful drive at least?

My DD recommended Oseola as a nice, relative easy, good view hike. In my youth, I climbed Washington. I think it would be scarier to drive. There is a race up but I think it's in June. Washington is great as the highest point but It can also be cloudy once up and cold.

If you drive slowing and pay attention to your driving, that's fine. It's those who don't seem to understand, they are not the only ones on the road that drive me crazy (or worse are looking at the scenery and not where they are going).

I, too, love Acadia and there are some good hikes but read the descriptions carefully. some may seem easy but have ladders on the trails, which I cannot do.

Also, if you are driving up the coast (not the Maine Turnpike. This is a great lunch stop mainediner/. It was a must do for my kids growing up.
Thanks again, all looks great! Not sure what I am going to do about Mt Washington - I don't think we are going to have time to hike it, even it we were fit enough... and the drive sounds terrifying!

Originally Posted by Loretta View Post
I’ve lived on the Cape for fifty years and Chatham, Sandwich and Falmouth are lovely towns and worth a visit if you have time.
Noted - thank you! How lucky you are to live there!

I agree that Chatham and Sandwich (isn't there a glass company there worth a visit?) are lovely. To me, Falmouth has some nice areas but also some very built up areas.

I love the Cape and when my kids weren't in school we would vacation in September and October-off season rates and the weather could be lovely.

I am always disappointed when people just go to Hyannis and then say they were disappointed in the Cape.
We will definitely go all the way to the end of Cape Cod to experience it all

Originally Posted by amy56 View Post
We didn’t just go to Hyannis, we went all over the Cape & there were some lovely parts (notably Chatham as I mentioned earlier), but overall we much preferred New Hampshire and Maine 👍
Looking at pictures I think I, like you, will like Maine and the White Mountain area best, but still want to see Cape Cod whilst we are there

Originally Posted by Loretta View Post
Sandwich still has a glass museum as well as Heritage Museum and Gardens. Falmouth has some great independent restaurants and our bike path is worth a visit.
Noted, thanks!

Originally Posted by folkie View Post
If it's near your route a visit to Canterbury Shaker Village is a really interesting and peaceful break on a long car journey, we stopped off on our way from Brewster to the White Mountains.
Will take a look at this - thank you!
Wismgari is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 19, 02:31 AM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Here now! We did 3 nights in Bar Harbor, Acadia and could have done with another as didn't see it all. Stunningly beautuful place.

We then had 3 nights in North Conway in the White Mountains, which was the right amount of time. Did the Cog Railway and it wasn't at all scary. The road was still closed for winter. Extremely cold at the top and in the clouds (Only 60 clear days a year!). Great experience.
Flume Gorge was great too. Beautiful waterfalls and fun hike.

Now in Stowe, which is a bit underwhelming to be honest. Going South to Bennington tomorrow in Green Mountains before heading to Mystic and Cape Cod.

Edited at 02:36 AM.
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 19, 06:47 AM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by anji View Post
Here now! We did 3 nights in Bar Harbor, Acadia and could have done with another as didn't see it all. Stunningly beautuful place.

We then had 3 nights in North Conway in the White Mountains, which was the right amount of time. Did the Cog Railway and it wasn't at all scary. The road was still closed for winter. Extremely cold at the top and in the clouds (Only 60 clear days a year!). Great experience.
Flume Gorge was great too. Beautiful waterfalls and fun hike.

Now in Stowe, which is a bit underwhelming to be honest. Going South to Bennington tomorrow in Green Mountains before heading to Mystic and Cape Cod.
Hope you are having an amazing time?!

You are doing similar to our trip last year - we were slightly underwhelmed by Stowe too, but really enjoyed the Ben and Jerry’s factory!

We really liked Mystic - looking back, we really loved our New England road trip, but it was the places we were least excited about before we went, that we loved the most!

I can’t wait to get back to Maine - I think, for us, that deserves its own holiday - gorgeous place! - might even add on a sneaky return trip further up to Prince Edward Island too!

Hope you enjoy the rest of your trip! 👍
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 19, 04:14 PM  
Link to this Post
gtyrel10
VIP Dibber

We did this a couple of years ago still talk about it as the best holiday ever. i never got round to writing my trip report but my pre trip had alot in it if that helps.

North Conway we loved, there is a massive christmas shop that is stunning inside felt more like a museum. Kacamungus (probably spelt wrong) Highway is meant to be great for leaves but we went mid October and all the leaves had fallen was just bare trees gutted at the time but hilarious now!

we visited Dartmouth College and we loved that wee town the most. Oh if you have time in Boston the JFK library is fantastic spent nearly a whole day there.

Like another poster said we were disappointed with Salem was cool to go but wasn't what i expected.

You will have a blast xx
gtyrel10 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List