Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 13 Jul 19, 09:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

With kids, I prefer to pay the extra to go from Manchester rather than the nightmare car journey to Glasgow or Gatwick. Both these airports have a terrible road network which could affect your onward journey

Constant checking of sky scanner will usually find a decent price eventually.
Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 19, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I have flown down and back to Gatwick from Manchester. It wasn’t ideal but it was the best option available to me on the dates I wanted. The prices weren’t bad at all and virgin sorted it all for me
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 19, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Mackenzies03
Serious Dibber

Our May 2020 flights (2nd-16th) with virgin MAN-MCO have just massive dropped in price this week (from £900 to £586 each for 2A) so if you can hold your nerve in the next few weeks you might get lucky.

I was gutted when I saw it as I half-panic bought as there weren’t many seats left but we wanted premium both ways which thankfully hasn’t gone down to what we managed to get on skyscanner! Like other have said I’d rather pay a little more and not have the stress of travelling far to get to the airport but if travelling meant we got to go then that’s better than not going at all 😊Good luck with your hunting!
Mackenzies03 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 19, 10:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Mary A
Imagineer

Mary A's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We live in Cumbria and fly a lot from LHR but return to Manchester.

3.5 hour train journey to Euston, blackberry car (£30) to premier inn on Bath Road (but have T4 PI booked for next year as a change £30). Next day, flight to wherever, Miami, LA, Washington.

Usually return mco-man then train back home as we would never do that drive again, too dangerous as DH does not sleep on the flight. I may snooze a little but will be asleep within minutes of getting in car so no help to DH 😪

First visit 1989, last visit March 19. Next holiday Washington, Key West & Orlando May 20. Planning Hawaii for March 21
Mary A is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 19, 10:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Mackenzies03 View Post
Our May 2020 flights (2nd-16th) with virgin MAN-MCO have just massive dropped in price this week (from £900 to £586 each for 2A) so if you can hold your nerve in the next few weeks you might get lucky.
With Virgin you pay top dollar. Same date and airport with Thomas Cook is £390!

Nobody surely pays £900 economy off peak?
Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 19, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Mackenzies03
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
With Virgin you pay top dollar. Same date and airport with Thomas Cook is £390!

Nobody surely pays £900 economy off peak?
I’ve often wondered if first timers have just booked without researching but then if they can afford it they’ve got more money than me 🙃 personally I won’t fly with Thomas cook as had bad experiences previous and said I wouldn’t fly with them again but then that’s my choice and my money

Edit: I just had a quick mooch on skyscanner and TC premium is only £50 less than what we paid with virgin and were on the early flight so I’m definitely happy to be at the magic a bit sooner for £50 😁

Edited at 10:43 AM.
Mackenzies03 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 19, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
batleyboy26
Imagineer

We only fly from MAN but rarely direct.

We have mainly flown MAN-ATL-MCO but have flown MAN-CDG-MCO, MAN-PHL-MIA.

We are also tied to school holidays as I am a school administrator and eldest DS is a teacher. We just book which is the cheapest price for a half decent route and half decent timings.

This year we are going out MAN-ATL-MCO and coming back MCO-MAN direct and although it's not been cheap at £647 each, it has by far been the cheapest I've seen for what we are prepared to put up with.

Last year was the MAN-PHL-MIA route with BA and we booked that because it was £2200 for 4 adult flights and a standard SUV. We would only book this again if it was at this price - we wouldn't pay more for it as it was too much of a pain for us on the way home as we returned MIA-LHR-MAN. For that price we would do it again, but it would have to be that price or cheaper. We'd checked out of our apartment at 10am ET (or 3pm UK time) and did not open our front door until 2pm the day after. We were exhausted. Given the exhaustion coming home and the fact that we missed the first day of our holiday as we were driving up to Orlando, we would have to weigh it all up.
1991 - Buenaventura Lakes Villa;1992 - Hawaiian Econolodge; 1993 - DLP, Sequoia Lodge; 1998 - DLP - Cheyenne; 2000 - Buenaventura Lakes Villa; 2004 - Oak Plantation Resort; 2006 - Holiday Inn Sunspree; 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 & 2019 - Bahama Bay
batleyboy26 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 19, 11:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

we always have a look, only once have we strayed. In 2014 we drove up to Glasgow for a saving of just over £300 each (3 of us), so nearly a grand. Not fancying chancing that drive on the morning we stayed in the premier inn at Glasgow Airport. So good an experience that we have since stayed over in Manchester despite only being 40 minutes away.
The drive home was hard work though, I got back just in time to go to the football

As per everyone else it's the cost versus convenience versus affordability to you that need to be weighed up. I'd do it again for a 4 figure saving.
Old 13 Jul 19, 11:27 AM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Mobile

Originally Posted by Thorpy View Post
we always have a look, only once have we strayed. In 2014 we drove up to Glasgow for a saving of just over £300 each (3 of us), so nearly a grand. Not fancying chancing that drive on the morning we stayed in the premier inn at Glasgow Airport. So good an experience that we have since stayed over in Manchester despite only being 40 minutes away.
The drive home was hard work though, I got back just in time to go to the football

As per everyone else it's the cost versus convenience versus affordability to you that need to be weighed up. I'd do it again for a 4 figure saving.
Thank you... we stay at the airport too the night before even being 30-40 mins from MAN airport.

At the moment we would be looking at 800-900 saving for the 3 of us via Gatwick.

Still 10 months to the holiday so going to wait and see.
Old 13 Jul 19, 11:28 AM  
Link to this Post
LLamb
Imagineer

Mobile

We are in Warrington and flew from lgw this year. Drove down the night before. Was dreading the drive back and fully prepared to get a day room at Gatwick.
I slept really well on the flight and drove back after landing. We left about 9am and including two stops we’re home at 2pm.
No traffic, drive was fine except for the constant rain!

We have booked again for next year May half term. Ba, lgw-Mco full economy (all bags etc) std suv 2a2c was £1592. Booked not long after release. So for us the saving is significant and worth it.
Last year we booked around September, so personally I’d wait now and hope they drop again.
LLamb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List