Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 14 Nov 19, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

I had sedation but it was still quite uncomfortable. When I mentioned it to the nurse afterwards she looked at my charts and said, I’d only had the equivalent of a sip of wine and next time I have to tell them to give me a full glass. Definitely go for sedation. It was quite interesting to watch and no where near as bad as what I was expecting. Good luck!
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 19, 08:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney_time
Imagineer

Disney_time's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
If its a full colonoscopy, then being offered sedation would be the norm and most likely pethidine as a pain killer. If someone didn't want the sedative, they might still be given the pethidine. Sounds like the OPs hospital is offering gas and air as the pain killer instead. I've had one and I'd prefer pethidine!

There's also a flexible sigmoidoscopy which doesn't go as far as full colonoscopy and takes less time. Most people would manage without sedation for that.
Old 14 Nov 19, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Bertiebear
Imagineer

My husband had it and he chose sedation.
Old 14 Nov 19, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

I’m not sure what I had. I have endo on my bowel,the pouch of Douglas, and it always gives me issues. Due to the fact my grandpa and my aunt on my dads side both had bowel cancel and ended up with the bag thingy (don’t know how to spell) then they wanted to rule out that and ibs as I get a hell of a lot of ibs symptoms.

So all I remember is having to drink this thing and stick to this two day diet of chicken or summat like that. Those days weren’t brilliant, Wasn’t exactly nice.
So when I went for this thing they were basically putting a camera up there as they say. They never offered anything to me until I was on the table and then they gave me gas and air which I was surprised worked as it didn’t when I was in labour.
I did not enjoy that experience. Annoyed me slightly as the outcome was oh well it’s just the endo which is what we thought anyway but good to rule it out I suppose.
I asked why it was so painful for me when others I knew said it wasn’t as bad and apparently as my endo is attached to my bowel when they were manuvering Around they were also moving all the ligaments caused by the endo.
Dunno why I wasn’t offered sedation but I would probably guess at my weight.
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 19, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
batleyboy26
Imagineer

I had one under sedation and apart from one uncomfortable bit when the camera was going round a bend under my left hand side ribs, I slept the whole way through and only woke up when they were telling me to pull my knees right up towards my chest to get rid of the air!
1991 - Buenaventura Lakes Villa;1992 - Hawaiian Econolodge; 1993 - DLP, Sequoia Lodge; 1998 - DLP - Cheyenne; 2000 - Buenaventura Lakes Villa; 2004 - Oak Plantation Resort; 2006 - Holiday Inn Sunspree; 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 & 2019 - Bahama Bay
batleyboy26 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 19, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Mobile

I have had 3 flexible sigmoidoscopy procedures in the last 6 years. Nothing offered at all albeit I know they aren’t as intrusive as a colonoscopy. God those powders are horrendous though!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 09:38 PM.
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 19, 09:28 PM  
Link to this Post
TigerMom
Apprentice Imagineer

I had one in May with sedation. I was awake and could see what they could but I think I drifted off a couple of times. The worst part by far is the awful stuff you have to drink the day before.
TigerMom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 19, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Big Jim
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by sam7 View Post
Has anyone had a colonoscopy? I have one booked for next month, I was advised I could select to have it via gas and air or via sedation, I am thinking sedation is best - but am I just being a baby?
I've had both and can honestly say I'd recommend the gas and air every time because you control it yourself. It's really not as bad as you imagine it's going to be.
Big Jim is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 19, 10:15 PM  
Link to this Post
HiddenMickey35
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 2
Originally Posted by TigerMom View Post
I had one in May with sedation. I was awake and could see what they could but I think I drifted off a couple of times. The worst part by far is the awful stuff you have to drink the day before.
yes, i hate awful stuff for drink it

I am dreading that I will have another one in January/February but I am taking sedation cos I am nervous so also hate tube go down by my mouth. If have sedation make not allow go to work or drive by 24 hours.
DCL 6-9April 06,DCL on 18 July 07, Medi.,DCL on 15 Nights Panama Canal - Westbound< May 08, NEW YORK NOV 24-30TH WITH 5 LADIES :, DCL on 3 July '10 for 8 days Dover to Barcelona RCCI - FOS 10 April '11, Spendlour of the Seas, 19 July 2013,Disney Magic 14 Nights WB Tranny Sep 6, 2014, Jamaica June 12-23, 2018, RC Cruise, Halloween 2019, Mexico with groups, Sept 2022, DCL Nowhere on 27th July 2021 for 3 nights?, Anthem of the Seas, Norweigian Fjords Cruise, May 2022
HiddenMickey35 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 19, 10:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Tinkermom View Post
I have them every year, and can hand on heart say the worst bit is the prep. Ask for picolax if you can and drink it as cold as you can bear, the colder the better!

I have mine with gas and air and that works great for me. With gas and air if used correctly it works wonders. But if you are feeling nervous or anxious definitely go for the sedation. You’re not being a baby it’s quite a scary procedure if you’re not use to being prodded down there. I have Crohn’s so it’s part of life for me and I don’t really think about it anymore but can totally understand that if you’ve never had anything like that before it can be frightening.

The actual procedure shouldn’t cause you any pain just slight discomfort. Good luck x

Fellow Crohn’s here picolax. Just what you need when you have Crohn’s

I have one every year sometimes more. I’m a wuz, but then again I was a nurse. Sedation for me
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List