Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 16 Jan 20, 05:56 PM  
Link to this Post
sonill
Excited about Disney

DD passed after 5 months and about 25 lessons. We did insure her on our car towards the end just to help build her confidence. She did get on really well with her instructor and she is a good listener - the instructor commented that she takes things in after 1 telling. It'll be a different story with her sister next year! One of her friends told her yesterday that she's on her 40th lesson and hasn't started maneuvers yet. So I'm afraid it is a bit of a how long is a piece of string question
sonill is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 20, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Disneyfans
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

DD 17 passed her test first time yesterday. She had about 25 hours with her instructor who happens to be a good friend of mine so she was more relaxed with her.
The car she had been learning in was in an accident 3 days before her test so she had to drive a replacement car with very little practice.
DH did take her out for extra practice as we wanted her to be more confident as she wants to drive to college 3 times a week which is 30 miles away.
Old 16 Jan 20, 07:14 PM  
Link to this Post
windsor_hills
Imagineer

My friend is a driving instructor and posted this just the other day...

How accurate this is I don’t know.
windsor_hills is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 20, 07:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Snowball24
Imagineer

Mobile

Mine was driving almost a year and passed on 3rd go so I'd say about 55-60 hours
Old 16 Jan 20, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by windsor_hills View Post
My friend is a driving instructor and posted this just the other day...

How accurate this is I don’t know.
I'm glad I'm not learning now, we'd need to remortgage

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 20, 07:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Tbone
slightly serious Dibber

Tbone's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

It will vary pupil to pupil for the practical driving but things that generally hold people up getting test ready. Booking and passing theory test, waiting lists for both theory and practical both can have long wait lists. If you can be organised with getting the theory done there will be no hold up when practical test ready
Tbone is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 20, 07:39 AM  
Link to this Post
tim17
slightly serious Dibber

All kids are different, our eldest had 40+ lessons and three tests before she passed yet the youngest had the minimum required (20) and passed first time, the cost though is eye-watering, we paid Ł4.5k spread over three years for our four.
tim17 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 20, 11:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Vinniecat
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sonill View Post
DD passed after 5 months and about 25 lessons. We did insure her on our car towards the end just to help build her confidence. She did get on really well with her instructor and she is a good listener - the instructor commented that she takes things in after 1 telling. It'll be a different story with her sister next year! One of her friends told her yesterday that she's on her 40th lesson and hasn't started maneuvers yet. So I'm afraid it is a bit of a how long is a piece of string question
The first instructor that my daughter had said she was not allowed to reverse until she had done 40 hours! We soon sacked her, I think she just wanted to keep her pupils as long as possible for the income.
Vinniecat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 20, 04:42 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tbone View Post
It will vary pupil to pupil for the practical driving but things that generally hold people up getting test ready. Booking and passing theory test, waiting lists for both theory and practical both can have long wait lists. If you can be organised with getting the theory done there will be no hold up when practical test ready
Yes I found that test timings and availabilities definitely had an impact on the length of time it took me to get my licence! Didn't help that I procrastinated on booking the theory test...

Also for the practical test there were two main test centres where I was living, which had very different available test slots. If I don't remember wrongly I ended up going for the one that was further away from the city centre, partly because it had better traffic/driving conditions (no horrible jammed city centre traffic), but also because it had more available test slots and I wouldn't have to wait so long for my test.
Old 17 Jan 20, 05:12 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Thanks all

He has his theory test booked for next month, there's work and papers for his A levels due this month so we booked it for a month after so he could focus on school work first, then be clear of that to focus on his theory.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List