Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Jan 20, 04:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Universal VR
Imagineer

Wow! I’m surprised at the number of people who get 30 plus bank holidays. I get 25 and we have to save 4 for Xmas plus 8 public holidays. I manage a team of three and we are below the bare minimum to cope with the workload.. Holidays are a nightmare for me because I just don’t have cover when someone is off. We can buy 5 extra days and I rue the day when they brought that in (although only one person does it). I already work 7.5 hours unpaid overtime a week but that increases to ten+ for all of us when someone is off. I think I’d throw in the towel if we had more holidays!
Old 18 Jan 20, 05:08 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Universal VR View Post
Wow! I’m surprised at the number of people who get 30 plus bank holidays. I get 25 and we have to save 4 for Xmas plus 8 public holidays. I manage a team of three and we are below the bare minimum to cope with the workload.. Holidays are a nightmare for me because I just don’t have cover when someone is off. We can buy 5 extra days and I rue the day when they brought that in (although only one person does it). I already work 7.5 hours unpaid overtime a week but that increases to ten+ for all of us when someone is off. I think I’d throw in the towel if we had more holidays!
If the 8 public holidays are included in the 25, and you work a standard 5 day week, you are below the legal minimum. 28 days including 8 bank holidays. 5.6 weeks. (if I misread and you get public holidays in addition, then you are fine)

gov.uk/holiday-entitlement-rights
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 20, 06:03 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
Why would you think public service don’t work as hard? I work in a school. Yes I get a lot of holiday. I don’t get paid for it though. But I can assure you when I’m at work, I work very hard. Public service budgets have all been cut. Most people are doing the work that 2 people were doing previously. Police numbers have been cut. NHS workers are seriously over worked. DH works in the council offices. Same story there.
Public sector have had no / tiny pay rises for years.

I think everyone alway thinks the grass is greener.
Sorry I shouldn’t have suggested public sector as a whole .
I meant more council than all public sector.
So the likes of town hall offices , jobcentre , council road workers and the like.
Just from my limited experience of friends who work in those positions who openly admit ( not to their work colleagues I guess ) they do as little as possible at work and appear to get away with it.

My missus works part time in a school , there are a couple of people in the office who don’t pull their weight and nothing happens - despite there being 3 or 4 different head teachers in her time. The finance manager ( or whatever his official title is ) just does the accounts when he sees fit . Takes his holidays when he wants with no concern about monthly deadlines etc
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads
buryboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 20, 06:19 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

I’ll let my husband know not to worry about his work then.

I work in a school office and we are run off our feet. We are all tied to school holidays including the business manager so no opportunity to take a holiday whenever.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 20, 06:22 PM  
Link to this Post
hellin family
Dibbing with Tink

Mobile

I work term time only so get 13 weeks off I think plus bank hols that are in term time - but this working pattern is paid pro rata so not technically leave as you are paid less than all year round workers. Love it though!

Wendy, Jake and Lillie x

Dec 2005 New York and Florida honeymoon, Grand Reserve
Dec 2006 Anniversary Trip, Grand Reserve, Davenport
Dec 2010 Jake's first trip, Glenbrook
Jan 2011 Lillie's first trip, Windsor Palms
Feb 2013 Jake and Lillie's Grand Adventures, Florida Pines
Oct 2014 Disneys All Stars Music Resort
hellin family is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 20, 06:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Im quite lucky i get 33 days pro rata, and bank holidays, although because most fall on a monday when i dont work i get hours added to my leave, i also buy two weeks. This all seems alot but i have to take many days off for DD appointments and more recently my mum has been poorly too, so the time doesnt actually go very far. This coming year i will only be having long weekends in the summer.
Old 18 Jan 20, 06:43 PM  
Link to this Post
DreamsOfOrlando
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I’m a secretary for a legal firm and get 20 days (4 weeks), all bank holidays and time off from Christmas Eve to New Years Day.
Dh works in a private school full time and has 5 weeks, all bank holidays and 2 days over Christmas.

Quite surprised at how much annual leave a lot of people have!
May 2020 - CSR and HRH - DH 30th - Covid Cancelled!
February 2022 - Holiday Inn LBV, HRH and Pop - 21 Nights
DreamsOfOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 20, 06:44 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
I’ll let my husband know not to worry about his work then.

I work in a school office and we are run off our feet. We are all tied to school holidays including the business manager so no opportunity to take a holiday whenever.
My missus can’t have time off outside of school holidays either , (and has to go in one week in the summer holidays )It’s a privilege only the top guy gets for whatever reason . I think he does go in more in the holidays though but I wish I could get his flexibility in my similar job.
My missus literally runs down the corridor to do her job , so there is clearly work to do but those that don’t do their fair share don’t seem to have any consequences for that attitude
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads
buryboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 20, 06:47 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

It also surprises me how many people can buy holidays.
I have never come across that possibility in my working life , though people have been allowed unpaid leave in special circumstances
Old 18 Jan 20, 07:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Universal VR
Imagineer

For those who can buy holiday, how does it work with you? With us, we pay as we take it but my daughter has to decide at the start of the holiday year, how many days she’d like to buy and it is deducted in twelve equal amounts over the year. Just curious.