Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 27 Feb 20, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Neilandrewhall
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Mariesmith View Post
I've been travelling with Crohn's disease and other health issues for 20 years and most of the time managed ok. Our usual seating arrangements on the plane have me in the middle with a stranger at the end and its never been a problem.

Watch what you eat in the few days leading up to the flight and bring food with you on the plane. Just drink bottled water, nothing fizzy or alcoholic.

If you're sensible about it and take medicine like loperamide or codeine to slow or stop you going to the toilet you'll be fine. I try to bring enough medication for any possible senario to ensure I don't need to seek medical help when i'm there.

Speak to your IBD nurse or gastro team to see if they can suggest anything to help. Last year I was very sick in the few months before Florida so had an iron infusion and steroid injection the week before to give me a boost.

If you're worried about it get one of those hidden disability Sunflower lanyards for the airport.
Thanks for this, Do you know how i go about getting a hidden disability thing? and ill try to arrange a appointment with my gastro team like with my Crohn's its been really bad lately, im actually seeing the GP tonight about it ( I refuse to eat during the day while at work due to them only having portaloo's as you can prob tell im fuzzy where i go toilet!

Ill try calling customer services now, i don't get how the flight is going to be that busy its after school holidays all the kids will be in school? i don't get it
Neilandrewhall is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 20, 10:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Mariesmith
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Neilandrewhall View Post
Thanks for this, Do you know how i go about getting a hidden disability thing? and ill try to arrange a appointment with my gastro team like with my Crohn's its been really bad lately, im actually seeing the GP tonight about it ( I refuse to eat during the day while at work due to them only having portaloo's as you can prob tell im fuzzy where i go toilet!

Ill try calling customer services now, i don't get how the flight is going to be that busy its after school holidays all the kids will be in school? i don't get it
I've never used the special assiatance so I'm not sure what they will be able to do. We always travel outside school holidays and the flights are still full of kids that should be in school.

I think supermarkets like Tesco and Sainsburys have the lanyards or you can get one at the special assistance desks once you arrive at the airport.
Mariesmith is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 20, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Neilandrewhall
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Mariesmith View Post
I've never used the special assiatance so I'm not sure what they will be able to do. We always travel outside school holidays and the flights are still full of kids that should be in school.

I think supermarkets like Tesco and Sainsburys have the lanyards or you can get one at the special assistance desks once you arrive at the airport.
Thanks for this - lets hope that i get some answers from Virgin, and hope its not a kid next to us for 9 hours
Neilandrewhall is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 20, 11:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Jakey Neverland
Imagineer

Marks & Spencer's also have the lanyards at Customer Services. SA will usually move you to appropriate seats right next to the toilets. Usually the last row in the plane is my experience of it.

I also have crohn's and mine always triggers as soon as we get to the airport as my main triggers are stress rather than food.
Old 27 Feb 20, 12:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Neilandrewhall
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Jakey Neverland View Post
Marks & Spencer's also have the lanyards at Customer Services. SA will usually move you to appropriate seats right next to the toilets. Usually the last row in the plane is my experience of it.

I also have crohn's and mine always triggers as soon as we get to the airport as my main triggers are stress rather than food.
Thanks for this Jakey, there is a M & S in town

Update aswell guys - i have spoken to SA this morning as discussed and they have stated due to the flight being 85 % full, they can't move us anywhere else - they stated they can contact the party who has booked the seat to see if they will move to another 1 seat (Apparently its only 1 person who has booked this seat as in a party of 1) and then they will contact me to make a booking for the seat - which is £75.00 which i said i would happily pay

They said that the fact that you'll need to get to the toilet if you eat is quite important and if that person is asleep and u have accident would be quite bad for myself.

Neil
Old 27 Feb 20, 12:18 PM  
Link to this Post

Update aswell guys - i have spoken to SA this morning as discussed and they have stated due to the flight being 85 % full, they can't move us anywhere else - they stated they can contact the party who has booked the seat to see if they will move to another 1 seat (Apparently its only 1 person who has booked this seat as in a party of 1) and then they will contact me to make a booking for the seat - which is £75.00 which i said i would happily pay

They said that the fact that you'll need to get to the toilet if you eat is quite important and if that person is asleep and u have accident would be quite bad for myself.

Neil
So you are going to go to the aisle seat now? I know it has been said, but I really cannot fathom why you didn’t book it in the first place, without meaning to diminish your partners condition, your needs certainly seem to trump the needs of a nervous flyer. Now this person that has paid for their seat will probably be pressured to move and have less choice over where to.

My default assumption would always be that the seat next to me on a plane would be occupied.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 20, 12:24 PM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
Mobile

Neil
Don’t be surprised if the person agrees to move, you pay the £75 and on the day someone is sat there as the airline sold it (and refund you the £75) as seat selection is never guaranteed.

IF they move, I would ask for middle and aisle as your confirmed seats and the window one as the £75 option just in case the worst happens, if all ok you can still spilt the 3 between you as needed.
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 20, 12:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Neilandrewhall
Excited about Disney

ive just got to wait for the phone call back from the virgin once they have spoken to the person who is sat next to me,
Old 27 Feb 20, 12:52 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

I have bladder issues and I take the aisle seat. I wouldn’t want someone to be having to get up constantly because I need to go to the toilet.
I also manage it as much as I can by trying to balance not drinking and making sure I’m not dehydrated. It’s difficult but we manage. As much as I’d like no one to be next to me it’s to be expected
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 20, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Love*my*hols
Imagineer

Mobile

I would also be concerned about the seat belt sign being on for long periods.