Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 2 Apr 20, 11:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
What is your average daily cost for ...

the protein part of your dinner? There are four adults in our family. Well one is a teenager who eats for England. DH and I are funding the cost of our weekly shop as DS doesn’t have a job. So we pay on average about £4 to £5 per day for the “meat” content of dinner. Nothing very fantastic or expensive there, mainly chicken as it is cheap. What do you pay?
Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Apr 20, 11:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridaagogo
Imagineer

I pay £5 for a chicken which feeds the 3 of us and then strip the carcass for the dogs so 5 of us in total x
Floridaagogo is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Apr 20, 11:18 PM  
Link to this Post
princess allie
VIP Dibber

Hmmm. I’m not sure, but i know it’s a lot less than that. We don’t have meat every meal either. If I make a pasta bake, I use 2 chicken breasts chopped, there are only 3 of us, but it makes enough for 4, DH takes it to work the following day for lunch, or I gift it to my single brother. If I make spag Bol, I use a large mince for about £4, but I freeze half and we have it another time. Sometimes we have homemade soup, such as leek and potato and again that does us for 2 days with a fresh unsliced loaf each time. We aren’t vegetarians, but we have meat free days every week.

1998 Villa in Kissimmee 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2014 Villa Lake Berkeley 2016 Villa Bass Lakes 2017 Villa on Solana and Vero Beach 2018 Villa on Highlands Reserve and St Pete Beach 2019 SLC, Cabana Bay, Highlands Reserve & Coronado Springs, 2020 Feb half term villa chilling. 2022 villa on Calabay Park and a trip Clearwater beach. 2023 Orlando and Clearwater
princess allie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Apr 20, 11:18 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

It varies. Sometimes a bag of quorn something is less than £2 between four of us. Chicken would be more like £4 to £5.
Old 2 Apr 20, 11:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Helen J
Imagineer

It varies greatly. Tonight me and DH had steak, which cost £10.50 and our son had gammon which was £2.00, (luckily he doesn't like steak), so £12.50 tonight.

Tomorrow the cost will be £1.40, because I am making a beef stew which makes me and DH two meals each. The beef cost £2.80.

We don't always have meat though, the previous 2 nights we didn't have any.

Edited at 10:04 AM.
Helen J is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 20, 12:34 AM  
Link to this Post
magickate
Imagineer

Mobile

I spend £80 at the butchers every month, fish & meat for 3 people.
I've just ordered 5kg chicken breast £20
3 lean beef mince £10
3 packs frozen fish £8
2 gammon joints & a beef joint £12
A big bag of sausages £7.50
Tray of pork shoulder steaks £3
4 steaks £10
Fish cakes £3
2 small whole chickens £5

I also get bacon from work but don't have to pay for that. Seems alot when I write it down but it lasts us and they deliver it too.
magickate is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 20, 01:20 AM  
Link to this Post
rummy63
VIP Dibber

Quick tip if you want your mince to go further throw a cup of lentils in nobody will notice and its healthier. Do not under any circumstances mention that you have done this.
3/4 pound of mince plus the cup of lentils makes a pound.
Chillies and bolognaise be a bit more sparing on the mince and trigger happy on the lentils.
rummy63 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 20, 07:22 AM  
Link to this Post
inky1
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by rummy63 View Post
Quick tip if you want your mince to go further throw a cup of lentils in nobody will notice and its healthier. Do not under any circumstances mention that you have done this.
3/4 pound of mince plus the cup of lentils makes a pound.
Chillies and bolognaise be a bit more sparing on the mince and
trigger happy on the lentils.

That sounds a great idea - what lentils do you use please - I live with a pair of complete carnivores and apart from the cost it’s not very healthy.
inky1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 20, 07:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
It varies. Sometimes a bag of quorn something is less than £2 between four of us. Chicken would be more like £4 to £5.
We like Quorn. Great value and quite often on a BOGOF in some supermarkets.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 20, 07:38 AM  
Link to this Post
LLamb
Imagineer

Mobile

We don’t have meat with every meal but I wouldn’t say we pay that much.

In addition to the lentils when I make chilli or spag bol I add grated carrots, courgette, sliced mushrooms and diced onion and pepper. Makes a lot more of the sauce and healthier too.
Then for chilli as well as kidney beans add another. The kids like baked beans but try black eyed beans or a mixed bean tin.
A 500g pack of mince I can easily split into at least 2/3 meals 2a2c. Eat one and freeze the other portions.

I do the same for curry, add grated carrot and then little pieces of cauliflower and broccoli. The frozen bags are very handy for this.

Roast chicken I would use the left over’s and make a pie for the next day. Add more veg if not enough meat.
LLamb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List