Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 5 Aug 19, 12:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney Dizzy
Very Serious Dibber

Cashless Tolls

We’ve had to drive on a cashless toll road, where they bill the plate. How do we pay this?
2013 - OKW - 20th Anniversary
2019 - 4 week Big Birthday Bonanza
Disney Dizzy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 19, 12:18 AM  
Link to this Post
RM2016
Imagineer

RM2016's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

It will be charged to the card that was swiped at pick up. Depending on your hire company there are different charges ie per day/per rental plus toll cost.
RM2016 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 19, 06:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Softy
Imagineer

Mobile

Who have you rented with? Hopefully it’s one that only charges a fee for the one day and not the whole rental.
Softy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 19, 06:44 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
All toll schemes in Florida are "toll by plate" and you will automatically enrolled when you drive through any Sunpass lane. As others have said some companies are better (aka Cheaper) than others.

Were you on the Turnpike near Miami or the bits of cashless tolls in Tampa or the north end of 429?

Mick
Old 5 Aug 19, 07:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Welshjim22
Apprentice Imagineer

Are there any cashless tolls on the 528 beachline to Kennedy? I am flying into Tampa so won't be using any tolls except for kennedy trip.
Welshjim22 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 19, 07:27 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by Welshjim22 View Post
Are there any cashless tolls on the 528 beachline to Kennedy? I am flying into Tampa so won't be using any tolls except for kennedy trip.
Not according to this official web site - the cashless ones are only in the areas I mentioned above.

sunpass/en/about/whe...eSunPass.shtml

About 15 years since we last went to KSC and 528 is a toll but not cashless. You may however encounter an unmanned toll on the on/off ramps. If you don't want to use Sunpass just make sure you have a handful of quarters in the car. The unmanned toll at j2 off the 417 for instance was a dollar in April - just throw four quarters in the basket.

Mick
Old 6 Aug 19, 03:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney Dizzy
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by mick View Post
All toll schemes in Florida are "toll by plate" and you will automatically enrolled when you drive through any Sunpass lane. As others have said some companies are better (aka Cheaper) than others.

Were you on the Turnpike near Miami or the bits of cashless tolls in Tampa or the north end of 429?

Mick
We are with Alamo and it was the cashless toll near Tampa. I think we went through it twice - once when travelling to Clearwater from Orlando and again the following day when travelling back to Clearwater after a visit to Busch Gardens.

We will also be travelling to Miami airport from a Key Largo next week so I guess we are likely to go through another then.

Hoping it’s just a daily charge and the toll charge🤞
2013 - OKW - 20th Anniversary
2019 - 4 week Big Birthday Bonanza
Disney Dizzy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 19, 06:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Softy
Imagineer

Mobile

Alamo are one of the best ones! $3.95 plus the tolls only on the days you use it.
Softy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 19, 07:21 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by Disney Dizzy View Post
We are with Alamo and it was the cashless toll near Tampa. I think we went through it twice - once when travelling to Clearwater from Orlando and again the following day when travelling back to Clearwater after a visit to Busch Gardens.

We will also be travelling to Miami airport from a Key Largo next week so I guess we are likely to go through another then.

Hoping it’s just a daily charge and the toll charge🤞
Open the link I put in post #6. Open the tab "Traveller information" then "rental vehicles" - shows exactly how each company charge. As Softy says Alamo are the best. Admin charge per USAGE day.

Mick
Old 6 Aug 19, 07:24 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by Welshjim22 View Post
From my earlier reply - just take care on the 528 near Orlando. Recent thread suggested that the pay cash lanes were a bit restricted in the road works. You really have to keep your eyes open and leave the main carriageway.

Mick