Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 26 Nov 19, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
stressedofdevon
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Visitor Toll Pass?

I saw mention a few months back that a new toll pass had been launched aimed at tourists but I can't remember where I read it or the details. Does anyone know about such a scheme? Is it only certain hire companies offering it or all of them? Any information gratefully received as I'm wanting to factor it in to my decision when I next book. Thanks!
2017 High Grove
stressedofdevon is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 19, 01:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Hi. Its a pilot that has already been extended. It now runs up to the 31st July 2020 and I lay money it will be extended again

This is the website, well worth having a read. Scroll down to the bottom and you will see the FAQ's that are very well written.

Bear in mind it's only Orlando Airport and not Sanford.

Hope this helps.

visitortollpass/

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 19, 02:38 PM  
Link to this Post
stressedofdevon

So helpful! Thanks Mr Tom Morrow. Sadly I'm arriving through Sanford this year so it's not for me but what a great initiative. I guess I'd better start rummaging for US coins.
2017 High Grove
stressedofdevon is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 19, 04:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by stressedofdevon View Post
So helpful! Thanks Mr Tom Morrow. Sadly I'm arriving through Sanford this year so it's not for me but what a great initiative. I guess I'd better start rummaging for US coins.
Don't forget for manned tolls you can use up to a $20 bill and they give you cash back

Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 19, 05:10 PM  
Link to this Post
stressedofdevon

If I remember correctly not all of the tolls along the 417 have a manned option? Hopefully the visitor pass will be phased in over time.
2017 High Grove
Old 26 Nov 19, 05:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by stressedofdevon View Post
If I remember correctly not all of the tolls along the 417 have a manned option? Hopefully the visitor pass will be phased in over time.
I think it will with a bit of luck. I suspect the State has listened to the many gripes from Visitors about ridiculous admin rental charges. Some are fair but some are silly

Old 26 Nov 19, 05:48 PM  
Link to this Post
amarooney
VIP Dibber

amarooney's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We've just recently used one of these great bit of kit saved the Alamo daily usage fee.
amarooney is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 19, 07:26 PM  
Link to this Post
spikeybee
Helping Mickey

I too can recommend to visitor toll, used it during our summer holiday no problems what so ever. Just hope they extend it next year till after the end of July so we can use it, on our next holiday.
spikeybee is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 19, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
ManCity
Helping Minnie

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
I think it will with a bit of luck. I suspect the State has listened to the many gripes from Visitors about ridiculous admin rental charges. Some are fair but some are silly
I'm afraid that may be wishful thinking, as the State has NOT realised that! The Visitor Toll Pass is not issued by the State but by the Central Florida Expressway Authority, which only runs some of the toll roads in the Orlando area. CFX is run by 5 local Counties, including the Mayors of Orange County and the City of Orlando. MCO is their local airport.

The 'State' already has its own scheme - Sunpass - which is available to visitors as well as residents. You register for a Sunpass account, obtain your own Sunpass transponder, mount it on the windscreen of your rental car, and off you go. You can get the transponder from 3000 locations (Welcome Centers, Publix, CVS, Walgreens etc). There are 2 main differences between Sunpass and VTP, apart from being run by different organisations.
1. Sunpass is prepay, VTP is postpay.
2. You have to buy a Sunpass transponder (but you get to keep it and can use it on subsequent trips) whilst VTP is a free loan (provided you return it).
The purchase cost means Sunpass is not as cost-effective as VTP for a single trip, particularly if you use Alamo.

All the mainline toll plazas on the SR417 are manned, so can provide change if you pay cash. However, all the ones on exit ramps are unmanned, so you need the correct change for those.
ManCity is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 19, 03:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Grandee
VIP Dibber

Just registered for this for our trip in May - what a great idea!
Grandee is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List